3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Does a diesel burn more oil that a gasser??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the rings didn't seat the way they should have.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
i dont know if mine is burning motor oil, but it sure is blowing some out of the breather tube coming from the side of the block. my truck only has 11,500 miles on it and im not sure if thats normal or not. i have noticed more engine noise than before like a very slight knocking or tapping but it still runs fine and my mpg is still in the 18's on the hwy as its always been.
Yours sounds like blow by, which is probably from not being broke in yet.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by snowmanx
I've got a 05 2500 ctd and it appears that it is burning about 1 liter in about 5000 miles. it only has 30,000 miles on it and I am just wondering if this is normal or if i should be looking for other problems. It seems to run fine and I haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks.
I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet. My previous 05 and my 06 both used a bit of oil between changes. Probably 1/2 liter or so in 7500 miles. (The 06 only has 7000 miles on it, so I expect it to use a bit.)

If your oil consumption has been consistent, I would just keep an eye on it. If it is getting worse, then maybe more investigation. The dealer will probably tell you that your consumption is acceptable.

A used oil analysis may provide some clues if there is in fact something wrong.

If you don't work the truck, I would sugggest this may help in your consumption issue. Hook on a good heavy load for a 1000 miles will probably bring it around.

My 05 used some between changes. I was using it as a commuter, so it didn't really get much hard exercise. When we used it last summer for our vacation, it used probably a liter in the first 2 days of heavy towing. I never packed any extra oil and was a bit concerned. After that initial 2 days, it hardly used any for the remainder of the trip. Unfortuately I traded it off right after the trip, so I can't tell you what the consumption was after that, but I'll bet it was less.

I have experience with tractors, on highway trucks, and big diesel and natural gas generators, and all have used some oil between changes even though they were perfectly healthy engines.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Robert373
I wouldn't be hitting the panic button just yet. My previous 05 and my 06 both used a bit of oil between changes. Probably 1/2 liter or so in 7500 miles. (The 06 only has 7000 miles on it, so I expect it to use a bit.)

If your oil consumption has been consistent, I would just keep an eye on it. If it is getting worse, then maybe more investigation. The dealer will probably tell you that your consumption is acceptable.

A used oil analysis may provide some clues if there is in fact something wrong.

If you don't work the truck, I would sugggest this may help in your consumption issue. Hook on a good heavy load for a 1000 miles will probably bring it around.

My 05 used some between changes. I was using it as a commuter, so it didn't really get much hard exercise. When we used it last summer for our vacation, it used probably a liter in the first 2 days of heavy towing. I never packed any extra oil and was a bit concerned. After that initial 2 days, it hardly used any for the remainder of the trip. Unfortuately I traded it off right after the trip, so I can't tell you what the consumption was after that, but I'll bet it was less.

I have experience with tractors, on highway trucks, and big diesel and natural gas generators, and all have used some oil between changes even though they were perfectly healthy engines.
I bought it used at 12000 miles and I have used it more for commutin, only haul about 2000-3000# couple times a month on average...it's defineately not being worked.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After an oil change does it start using it right away? I've found with ext. changes it starts using more after ~5k but goes back to nothing after a change. I'd do analysis and keep track. ~qt/5k isn't anything to worry about unless it was all going out one cylinder. Does it run smooth and sound good? Craig
Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Years ago we had Cummins Gena tors on a ferry out here that was drinking oil. I thought the turbo sucked a seal ordered 2 turbos out of Cal. and we found the air filter was bad looked like new.
Have you change the air filter lately? I have seen that happen more than once.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Have you changed your air filter yet?