3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do you REALLY know what your oil pressure is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you REALLY know what your oil pressure is?

I had been reading about the oil pressure guage on my truck ( and a lot of 2nd gen's too ) and how they work. It is a calculated number! After thinking about it ( and bugging Quad when he'll ad that feature to the Commander! ) I put in an Autometer Phantom guage tonight. I was pondering before I fired it up.....will it be good ......or will I be dissapointed .....? Just how close will it be to the actual guage in the dash? Well I am happy to say all was good! I have 80 psi cold and hot at 2000 rpm and 35 at idle hot and 60 cold. Wasn't even close to what my dash guage read hot. Cold was close, but how close for how long? Might be another guage people want to add. Mounted it in a cup right on the Commander A-pillar mount.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vzdude
I had been reading about the oil pressure guage on my truck ( and a lot of 2nd gen's too ) and how they work. It is a calculated number! After thinking about it ( and bugging Quad when he'll ad that feature to the Commander! ) I put in an Autometer Phantom guage tonight. I was pondering before I fired it up.....will it be good ......or will I be dissapointed .....? Just how close will it be to the actual guage in the dash? Well I am happy to say all was good! I have 80 psi cold and hot at 2000 rpm and 35 at idle hot and 60 cold. Wasn't even close to what my dash guage read hot. Cold was close, but how close for how long? Might be another guage people want to add. Mounted it in a cup right on the Commander A-pillar mount.
lets see some pics
Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
lets see some pics
You knew it was coming!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

O.k. Here ya go. Some pics of the guage at 1500 RPM compared to the factory guage. This Autometer is electronic, but just for kicks and giggles I checked it with a fairly high dollar liquid filled guage and it is within 1 psi at all ranges! Sorry for some of the blurry pics. Kinda old digicam!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Hey! How'd the little guy and me get in there! Oh, middle sister is peeking over my shoulder too! LOL Sorry 'bout that!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Nice looking setup. Cute looking kids. Might want to PhotoShop that person in the middle LOL.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM

That's great oil pressure!

Hot idle, mine reads ~12-20psi depnding on how hot and at 2500rpm i get ~60psi. I am using Valvoline premium blue 15W40.

What oil are you using? I've had thoughts of running Delo 400 then Amsoil, just to see what the oil pressure is like with the different oils.

Tony
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 AM

At one time I was scared right out of my socks because I had a brand new truck and the oil pressure dropped on the gauge. I came here and expressed my concerns. Of course I got the old that thing is junk speech. They were right!

My questions are these: Is there any reasonable way to attach that factory dash gauge to a pressure sending unit that works?

Are there any gauges that a person can replace factory dash ones with?

I ask this because I do not want to give up my grab bar or my trash catcher under the radio. Other than the Cummins these 2 items are the best things about the truck
Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Heater
At one time I was scared right out of my socks because I had a brand new truck and the oil pressure dropped on the gauge. I came here and expressed my concerns. Of course I got the old that thing is junk speech. They were right!

My questions are these: Is there any reasonable way to attach that factory dash gauge to a pressure sending unit that works?

I ask this because I do not want to give up my grab bar or my trash catcher under the radio. Other than the Cummins these 2 items are the best things about the truck
Genos' has a pillar w/single gage hole and a grabber.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or you can put it on the steering column I have my boost and oil pressure gauge there I think every 3rd gen truck shoul dhave amanual oil pressure gauge that is a easy way to tell if a injector has gone bad and filled the crankcase with oil. I know from experience.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Heater

Not that I'm aware of. The gauge cluster is fed off the CAN bus, through the ECM. The ECM is programmed to expect a binary response: Pressure good or bad?

There are several options to after market gauges: A-pillar pods, Dash top pods, and Overhead pods.

And, no I am not associated with egauges...just another satisfied customer.

HTH

Tony