3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do we need adjustable top ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable Ball joints will do nothing for you but cause you headache and heartaches. Stick with the stock version and your truck should align perfectly unless something is bent or severly worn. If your truck still pulls on a level road, check tire pressure. If both tires are at equal pressure, swap the tires side to side and see if the pull goes away. I used to work for an alignment shop here in town, and believe me, tires can cause a pull.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
Generally the only reason for adjustables would be to correct camber. Since we have a straight front axle, the only thing that could cause camber to be out of spec far enough would be a bent axle.
Not always on either item. One can use the adjustables to get the caster out to where it drives better and cure DW at times. There is not a lot of offset but it seems to work well on the leveling kits and bigger tires that cause issues.

The manufacturing tolerances on the axles really are crappy. Its not unusual to see an axle with camber out spec from the factory. The only way to get that back in spec short of cutting it apart and rewelding is use an offset joint.

I have almost 100k on adjustable uppers with no issues, but, I don't use the wrong offset wheels that cause all the problems. That is probably the bigeest killer of the joints and it doesn't need to be.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM

So what about using Moog adjustables on the top and XRF's on the bottom ball joints? The only reason I'm asking is all 4 of my Moog's are brand new but I know the bottom Moog's bind like crazy!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Not always on either item. One can use the adjustables to get the caster out to where it drives better and cure DW at times. There is not a lot of offset but it seems to work well on the leveling kits and bigger tires that cause issues.

The manufacturing tolerances on the axles really are crappy. Its not unusual to see an axle with camber out spec from the factory. The only way to get that back in spec short of cutting it apart and rewelding is use an offset joint.

I have almost 100k on adjustable uppers with no issues, but, I don't use the wrong offset wheels that cause all the problems. That is probably the bigeest killer of the joints and it doesn't need to be.
I see what you are saying but they can only correct for about 1 degree. It is way easier to adust the caster using the lower control arm cam bolts and you can get a wider range of adjustment. If your camber is plus or minus 1 degree it is probably better to leave it alone than run the adjustable ball joints as they are not as good as the OEM junk. And if you camber is out 2 degrees or more you probably or soon will have axle seal problems. AAM seems to do a good job welding the outer "C"'s on but the welds at the pumpkin are sometimes questionable. It is in this area that axle tube can also bend. If this happens you willl have both a camber issue as well as the axleshaft pushing towards the top of the seal thus allowing fluis to leak out near the bottom of the seal.