3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Differential oil change price and proceedure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline here too. But I get the work done, take a shower, then get two beers and a shot of Jack. If I drink first, the truck don't get done.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 PM

You guys must just love to throw money around.

Both front and back can be done for less than $30.

I go to my local Rural King (or a Tractor Supply) and buy a 2 gallon jug of 85w140 GL5 Harvest King oil and change it out myself.

Thats 1/10th of the dealers cost.

This takes all of 30-40 minutes if your going fast.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Whats the torque on the bolts?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Wish we had a Tractor supply in Los Angeles cuz that looks like the best way!
I use Royal Purple 75W-140W,I torque the bolts to 16lbs and use the Blue loctite (some claim the bolts broke at about 20-22).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
30 ft lb for bolts, and 24 for fill plug is what the book says.

There will be some kind of hard brown thread locker you will want to get off them. I also use blue locktite.

Since I had a bolt snap on the 2nd change without even coming close to the specified torque, I will probably go less than 30 on the next change.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
im sure this has been going over time and time again, but what gear oil is everyone using?

brett
Schaffer's here
Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Since I had a $100 gift card at ORW, the Amsoil cost me $3 for Seven Quarts.

I can live with that.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Now I KNOW the local dealer was trying to get over on me!!!... I was off work the other day and dropped by the local dealership to inquire about how much they would charge to install my new MAG Hy-TEC rear cover........$265.00 for just the rear!. He stated that they normally don't pull the cover and it would take lots of time to get the cover off and install the new one. hhhmmmmm..... I've got a 3/8" Makita cordless impact that says I can get that cover off faster that I can down a Shiner Bach.
Sometimes I wonder if dealerships were paid what they are worth, if they would be writing checks to US!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
I've got a 3/8" Makita cordless impact that says I can get that cover off faster that I can down a Shiner Bach.
you must drink slow. are you from texas, shiner is one of our little secrets!! if your close, i just bought a torque wrench and you can use it if you need it

brett
Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 PM

im a manager at a quick lube in N. Texas, so ive done thousands of diffs. most dealers will just suck it out using a diff pump or evac tool. My shop charges $50 for each diff. BUT beware the warranty, for example...

i had a good customer come in at 22,000 miles and he finally did his rear diff service with me (after i had told him repeatedly in the past it was due at 15k). long story short, the dealership refused to look into a BRAKE problem because we did the REAR DIFF service. first they told him he went over 7k miles past the manufacturer recommendations, then said because he didnt have it serviced there they couldnt honor the waranty. the customer called me. i simply explained to the srvice manager that the customer was protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Information Act and if they didnt honor his warranty because I did the work, I would pass it over to the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that is Pennzoil (our distributor) and they could duke it out in court.
The result: Customer got a new car....the owner of the dealership was so upset at how the manager handled the situation, he fired the guy, broke the customers lease, and sold him a new car at cost (cough, whatever that is).
By the way, the truck was a tacoma (not a dodge) and the dealership was Toyota of Grapevine....they're good folks.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

where do they get some of these people to run these dealerships? im starting to wonder if its a prerequisite to have eaten paint chips as a child to become a manager at them

brett
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Sealer isn't required, but the cleaner was probably hand cleaner ))
Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by usmarinetx
By the way, the truck was a tacoma (not a dodge) and the dealership was Toyota of Grapevine....they're good folks.
usmarinetx- is that grapevine outside of Dallas? I have family there, nice town.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You guys must just love to throw money around.

Both front and back can be done for less than $30.

I go to my local Rural King (or a Tractor Supply) and buy a 2 gallon jug of 85w140 GL5 Harvest King oil and change it out myself.

Thats 1/10th of the dealers cost.

This takes all of 30-40 minutes if your going fast.
Is Harvest King a full synthetic? Specs require full synthetic. Best price I've found is around $9 a quart.

Also, remember, NO limited slip additive is used with the AA axles. ANyone who tells you it is, is trying to sell you something you don't need.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moterhead
Is Harvest King a full synthetic? Specs require full synthetic. Best price I've found is around $9 a quart.

Also, remember, NO limited slip additive is used with the AA axles. ANyone who tells you it is, is trying to sell you something you don't need.
thats the stuff i bought. it was like 23 bucks for 2 gallons

brett

Quick Reply: Differential oil change price and proceedure?