3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did I screw up??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I screw up??

I changed my front and rear diffs. I put Castrol 80-90 in both (gl5) because I couldn't find any 75-90 where I was.
Is this going to hurt anything?
or do I need to hunt down some 75-90 and change it. I haven't driven anywhere yet.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:14 PM

no problems at all. If you tow alot eventually I would change it out to some 75-140 but it will be just fine. A few numbers wont hurt a thing. Now if you put atf or 5w30 in them I would be worried.... Just drive it and make the change next time. No big deal.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:16 PM

Thanks, just needed some reasurrance, I forgot to get any additive for it so I am heading out to get some.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:18 PM

NO ADDITIVE!!! These new ones don't need it. You are wasting your money. look in the owners manual.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Limited Slip Additive is not required for the AAM 11.5 rear diff with TracRite (Limited Slip).

edit: Underwood must have been typing as I was, but hopefully you get the point.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:26 PM

ok... the manual says 75-90 synthetic limited-slip AAM real axles do not require a limited slip additive. The 80-90 that I put in is not a synthetic limited slip oil.

Is it still ok?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:27 PM

yea I would just change it sooner like 15k or so.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
Limited Slip Additive is not required for the AAM 11.5 rear diff with TracRite (Limited Slip).

edit: Underwood must have been typing as I was, but hopefully you get the point.
Sorry I must have been tryping the same time you were.

Ok I'm safe
Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:31 PM

now you've learned your lesson Next time you will shop around for a synthetic oil and modify the weight if needed.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Yes I have learned. I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't have time to go somewhere else to find the right oil. but now I know

Old 01-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive for a while first without the additive and see how it reacts. If it starts making noise and giving you problems then try the additive. Some diffs do not like the lack of the the modifier and start popping and banging on corners when warm.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I will respectfully disagree with the group, in that if I were in your shoes I'd dump that stuff.

The difference in weight is slight, but I'd want synthetic GL-5 in there like the manual calls for.

There have been a couple of threads about people having rear ends redone under warranty, and if you didn't have receipts showing the the correct replacement oil every 15K you would give them something to argue about.

It wouldn't take long, or cost that much to swap it out for Synthetic.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:48 PM

I agree with Jeff in TD, I would also re-change it asap. The weight difference is minimal but non-synthetic would worry me. If you are unsure how a torsen diff works I would read the following or search more on google:

How a Torsen Diff Works

Even better How a Torsen works

A torsen diff relies on the gears being spread out against the case of the internal assy which provides friction and in theory reduces slipping....FRICTION! This is why I would be worried without a synthetic.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 AM

There is no way I would take a chance on this one, I would go down to my local friendley dodge dealer & get the good stuff. Thicker oil is not better oil. Even the large 18 speed trannys are running thinner oils these days, the thinner oil doesnt hold heat as much & it will flow better.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM

There is no way I would take a chance on this one, I would go down to my local friendley dodge dealer & get the good stuff. Thicker oil is not better oil. Even the large 18 speed trannys are running thinner oils these days, the thinner oil doesnt hold heat as much & it will flow better.
Just to confirm...transmissions and diffs are 2 completely different animals. Tranny's use light oil for a different reason...mostly having to do with syncro and gear design. I would however also recommend going with the Dodge approved fluid. I was talking with my Mobil 1 rep once and asking him if their gear oil would stand up well...his response, Yes it will however it won't have the special additives that are put into the factory Dodge oil for the exact tolerances of AAM. He recommended staying with the Dodge oil (even if it is bloody expensive). This doesn't mean that other synthetic oils aren't good but I do agree that sometimes there are additives and chemicals in the factory product that aren't announced yet are very benefitial.

Quick Reply: Did I screw up??