3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.

Hey guys,
Been looking around for a replacement for my wife's Excursion.
She wants something that gets decent mileage (high teens around town - twenties on the highway).
She is also looking for something that has as much room, or more than she currently has in the back of the Excursion for groceries, etc, as well as the ability to haul the dogs around without placing them in the cab.
We also need enough room that the family can all go out in one vehicle (My son's are very tall).

This past weekend, we found two 2006 Laramie Mega-Cabs for sale.
Both are trimmed out the same (SLT).
Both are going to be listed about the same price with the auto being a little more due to the low mileage.

The Differences:

Truck One:
Auto
67,xxx miles
Tonneau Cover
4~4.5" Flowmaster exhaust turbo back.
Some light surface rust on drive shafts, u-joints, exhaust hangers and steering box.

Truck Two:
Manual.
109,xxx miles.
Fiberglass shell.
Airbags (Rear)
More scratches, dents than the truck one, but nothing serious or major.

This truck is going to be a daily driver for the wife.
(Yes, she has driven stick shifts in the past but never a full size p/u nor a stick shift behind a diesel).

I've read through the forum titled "Common Problems and How Do I Articles Needed...."
and gained some good information.
However, I welcome any input from you guys about the pro's/con's of both trucks for my intended purpose.

Thanks
Rich.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the automatic, she will be much happier not having to grind gears all the time on that beast while shopping.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I LOVE my 6sp....that being said, my wife loves my truck as well. She can shift it good, but I would not put her in a stick. Get her the auto!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The mega cabs have plenty of room actually more backseat than front seat. I love my manual but if your going to add power be prepared to get a southbend clutch. Otherwise enjoy
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the automatic with lower miles.

the other truck has air bags, so it was probably used for heavy towing or hauling heavy loads.

Lower mileage is important. 109K miles on a Cummins is nothing. But on the rest of the truck, it's a lot; shocks, differential, drive shafts, A/C components, brakes, etc. All of these other components have 109K hard miles on them.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys.
I appreciate the responses.

We do have some concerns with the constant rowing through gears the manual would require. Yes, the manual probably spent time pulling something.
However, with that said, both have had an after market trailer brake controller installed.
Could be an indication that they both have spent time pulling (Airbags would, indeed, indicate it pulled something much larger).

Again, I appreciate all the input you guys can offer.
Keep it coming.
Thanks
Rich.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey Rich, how goes it?

I just picked up a 06 Mega with 30,000 miles on it and love the auto trans in it. I am running stock power for now and I am not concerned about the trans one bit.

Change out that #4 injector line and tell her to enjoy that truck Oh and if I have any negative comments on the mega at all it is just in finding places to park it.....for the most part that is not an issue but I worry about people backing in to it because it hangs out so far.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM

My wife hated my 6 speed in my 07. She loves my current truck.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
Get the automatic with lower miles.

the other truck has air bags, so it was probably used for heavy towing or hauling heavy loads.

Lower mileage is important. 109K miles on a Cummins is nothing. But on the rest of the truck, it's a lot; shocks, differential, drive shafts, A/C components, brakes, etc. All of these other components have 109K hard miles on them.
Get the auto, fewer miles. If either shows indications of heavy towing (ie overloads, air springs, add on hitches) go with rhe other. Your wife will prefer the convenience of auto trans.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After driving a diesel, I'll own nothing else. They are infinitely superior is all respects. I have the 6sp manual because of the cost of repair of the auto. The high torque of the diesel will cause trans repair at some point around the 200k mileage. The auto is easier to drive, but it will come at a cost. Clutch failure is a non-issue if you don't drag the clutch and a clutch replacement is much less than an auto rebuild. Lastly, these trucks are large and parking is a pain, especially in cities.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's input.

Lary, it goes well. Family is doing well and we're just plodding along trying to make the best of things.

Steve-l, it seems that vehicle size is playing an more of a role these days as parking spaces seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
My wife currently drives a lifted Excursion - she is used to the lack of maneuverability and issues with parking. End result: She's used to parking way out in the farthest lots and usually ends up hanging over one or both parking lines.

We plan to re-visit both Mega-Cabs tomorrow (Friday) and get a solid "out-the-door" price for both.
We'll see what transpires tomorrow.

Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate your time and input.
Rich.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Automatic transmission, lower mileage. I would by my truck again if I could.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator

All, Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.
After a lot of negotiations and speaking with every sales manager in a 10 mile radius, we were able to land on an acceptable deal for everyone which also includes a 3 year/36,0000 mile warranty.
We also found out that the stick shift was taken out of the decision process when the dealer discovered it needed more repairs than the dealer could afford to do and still make a profit. So, the stick had already been removed from the lot and was headed to an auction house.
Which, in the grand scheme, is probably best as my wife will be happier with the Auto anyway.
The toughest aspect was parting with her Excursion. It may be a Ford, it may be a v10 gasser, but it has been in the family almost 10 years and has a lot of history with this family.
However, with that said, the pic below is our new addition to the family.
Nothing fancy.
Attached Thumbnails Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-2006_truck.jpg   Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-computer_mpg.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice Rich.....looks just like my truck Tell her to wear a bullet proof vest
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Administrator

lol, Thanks Lary, will do.
Did a little more crawling around the truck today and found:
1) AFE air filter (Very dirty - Oil bathed)
2) What appears to be FlowMaster Turbo-back exhaust. Didnt measure it, but it does appear larger than stock (?)
3) Mag-Hytec transmission pan
4) Found an after market relay wired up. Not exactly sure where it leads. Extremely windy here today. Will need to chase down that relay once the wind dies down.

Some nice finds.
Attached Thumbnails Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-afe.jpg   Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-flwmstrexh.jpg   Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-flwmstrtip.jpg   Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.-magtrans.jpg  

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions - Looking for your input.