3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealership Question: Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
DBM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership Question: Good or Bad

I have a good friend at the service department where i live. He told be he could change my transmission fluid along with a new gasket and filter , front and rear axle all with synthetic of course for $200 with tax and materials. And by the way its not a flush for the tranny. Is he a good friend? What do you guys think.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes good friend.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM

considering what dodge charges Id say thats a great deal. When I quoted the dealer for axles they said 100 per axle. I got the entire job done at a local HD and RV lube place for 75. I got a quote friday for the trans pan fluid change and filter change along with band adjustment and the dealer quote is $159. That dealer servicing would cost me around 359 in other words. For alaska its probably marked up about 40 or so dollars so in the 48 states it might cost around 300 for the services you mentioned, at a dealer. Thats a great deal IMO
Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM

I paid $113 for 2 rears and trans case...I would say 'you ' could do it cheaper ...but as long as he uses a 'GOOD' synth.oil let him get Dirty !
Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM

i got a coupon from my dealer. i had tranny fluid and filter change, front and rear diffs and transfer case done for 149. i used my dodge visa card dealer dollars and it actually didnt cost me anything out of pocket. i get those coupons all the time threw email.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I see it if he is going to use cheaper trans fluid and gear oil then what I bought, he should not be charging you $200.00. When I did mine I bought 7 Qt’s of Amsoil transmission fluid, 8 Qt’s of Amsoil SVG gear oil (I did not buy the Amsoil at retail but at preferred customer prices) and I also bought the trans filter in the Dodge part dept. I changed the front and rear axel gear oil my self and I paid the dealer to change the trans filter and it cost me less then $240.00 Taxes included. Btw you can buy cheap Valvoline ATF+4 for $2.50 a qt or Mopar trans fluid for $4.52 a qt at Walmart if you want factory trans fluid used in your transmission.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 PM

I have used the same Tranny guy since i was 16 iam 32 now and still use him. He has always said " NEVER FLUSH An automatic transmission" He claims the seals and parts are not desigined for the type of presure and action the fluid takes when it gets power flushed..... I have never had one done and have had good luck just changing fluid and filter.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 AM

That may happen on a FLUSH but most shops don't flush per se.They use a FLIUD EXCHANGE machine and all it is a bladder with new fliud and a holding tank for the old.Vehicle is running and the TRANS pump is pumping fliud out as new goes in.Its up to the owner if someting like B&G cleaner is added.Best thing to happen to a truck or car owner since the invent of a automatic trans.You can also look up these machines on a comuter and actually read about them!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Don't flame me on this, but alot of folks sure seem to nickle and dime people doing work on rigs. $200 for labor AND synthetic fluid? That is a screaming deal. I have had folks complain about charges just to change fluids. Two comments on this are: Go ahead and do it yourself, take care of all the disposal, make your trips to buy the properfluids, don't forget rags, brake cleaner, new gaskets, also think safety when you are crawling around under your rig, don't forget hot oil burns ect ect. OR take it to your local 10 minute oil change shop and then let them buzz all your pans and covers on and off with an impact wrench, strip out some bolts, leave some gasket material behind, thrash and bash on your truck because it is only taking 10 minutes, but hey your paying a cheap price right?

For some reason folks have this sense that it is a quick job. Well its not. And if it takes your friend 1/2 the time a book says anyway, well that's because he has probably done many and knows exactly what tools, how many rags, how many cans of brake cleaner etc it will take, thats how mechanics make $$ to pay for all their expensive tools and to make a decent living. Now don't get me wrong folks, but heck, what do you expect? My outlook is find somebody you trust, and know you will be taken care of is something goes wrong, leaks etc. When folks bring me a vehicle for service, they also get an informal vehicle inspection to make sure everything looks good and a report if anything else detrimental is found. I sure like it when folks come to me and "tell" me how long a job is going to take. I simply smile and inform them they then should jump right on it.

What is that saying called: The sweetness of a low price is long forgotten after the bitterness of poor quality of work?