3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer tells me my vibration problem is "Normal Driving Characteristics"??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to tell everyone that this whole warranty voiding thing with DC is nothing new and has no relation to the newer diesels being modded.

I had the same type of problem with a "5 Star" Dodge dealer in Florida after I bought a brand new Neon R/T for the wife (back in '98-'99). The car had a terrible vibration starting at about 70mph. Felt like a tire was severely out of balance or something, but they wouldn't even drive it to find out because the local speed limit on I-95 was 65mph and you needed to hit around 70mph to feel it. They claimed they couldn't do ANYTHING because they were not allowed to exceed the speed limit (nevermind that doing 65mph on I-95 in S. Florida will get you run over by all the faster moving traffic)! I said, let me drive your tech at 70 myself then and they said he's not allowed to ride in the car going 5mph over the speed limit. I called the Dodge corporate customer service number and they just said they have NO control over anything the dealers do or refuse to do.

Thankfully there was a real service department at another dealer further North. They had no problems driving it and fixing it for us. BTW it was completely stock with stock tires at the time.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4not
So I've had my truck into the dealer several times for a vibration I've been having. They finally brought in a DC Factory Rep to drive the truck and install a vibration analyser. They have had the truck for two days, and I just got a call back. The rep told them "Do not authorize ANY repairs. This vehicle has normal ride characteristics for a vehicle of this type". I mean, W T F, mate?! Sometimes on long trips it feels like my kidneys are going to fall out it gets so bad! Needless to say, I'm a bit p'oed here. I though that FINALLY I could get this all done with, but of course DC once again doesn't want to fess up to their screwups.

Anyone know a dealer worth mentioning in the Northern VA area?
I don't know if this will fix the problem... but I just installed centramatic balancers and my truck really smoothed out... They were $175 and might be worth a try if it is as bad as you say.
www.centramatic.com
I bought mine on ebay because they were a little cheape than the Mfg website.
Oilguy
Old 01-06-2007, 04:15 PM

If they still won't do anything to fix it after I take the guy for a "towing test drive" I'm going to tell them to go ahead, swap on some stock tires and I gaurantee it will do the same thing (I already tried this). The Zone Rep obviously knows about this type of problem, although I'm not sure if mine is related to the vibration others are having with the driveshaft. My rear driveshaft has already been replaced once, but it didn't make a difference.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 AM

get it fixed ?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 AM

Well, I have a vibration also on my 2500. Its all due to a slight mis-alignment on the out side front "U"joint! I love the truck but ALWAYS hated the front ends! Dodge is the ONLY one that does not used locking hub set up. In the future I'm goin to convert it to locking hubs with a kit from Dynatrac. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I went threw the Dealer keeping my truck for 12 days trying to get factory rep to repair. My Dodge had 400 miles on it and was stock but at 70 mph the truck vibrated so bad the rear mirrors reflections were just a blure. I was tould that it was a normal vibration.
Dodge does not back up its product and is not customer friendly till you hire a company that specializes in Lemon Laws. I love Cummins power but will not ever own another Chrysler/Dodge product because of just these kind of complaints that are more and more common with this company.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by herb
there is a driveshaft problem that causes vibrations in these trucks. My dealer replaced the complete driveshaft assembly on mine and "shimmed" the center "carrier" bearing mounting assembly.
I had the truck up on a lift today doing my first oil change and the rear diff had funky looking weight attached to it, presumably to balance the shaft.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:41 PM

My truck goes back in to the dealer on Wednesday this week. I'll be test driving it again with the shop foreman. My trailer will be attached to give an extra 2000lbs of load and some tonge weight. He will then drive it with the DC Rep on Thursday taking a route we decide on Wednesday. I drove it myself with the trail last week and I got it to shake pretty bad on a local stretch of road, so I'll be taking him on that ride. I just have to get this junk fixed.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:51 PM

Got word back from the dealer and the Zone Rep. They once again say there is nothing that can be done. This time I got the comment "This is an engineering issue and you can't do anything about it." They pretty much told me to "Trade it in or deal with it".
Old 01-25-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Know What The Vibration Has To Do With So Look No Farther !!!!!!
The Other Week At 30k Miles I Had My Pinion Bearing Replaced And When I Got My Truck Back I Have This Anoying Vibration From 60 To 80 Thats Driving Me Crazy. The Truck Has Never Ever Vibrated Before At Any Speed Whatsoever. It Has Something To Do With Whatever They Do When They Replace The Bearing. At 70 Its The Worst And I Can See My Mirrors Shaking And Whatever Might Be In My Cup Holder Waving At Me Too.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 AM

first thing to do is find another dealer. you may have to go thru several before you find one who is customer oriented. once you find that dealer life will change
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM

take one of their's for a test drive, drop off a car, and take parts of of their truck like drive shafts and stuff give them back the problem parts on their truck
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 PM

FWIW I had the same problem at 93,000 kms. The front driveshaft got sent out to a driveline company by the dealership for new u-joints and balancing. Also the rear shaft received 2 new u-joints. Problem totally gone now. A visual inspection of the u-joints didn't pick up the problem initially. The shafts had to be pulled for closer inspection. Also check that both shafts are in "phase" as this will cause vibrations. Good Luck
Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by gotdiesel2
FWIW I had the same problem at 93,000 kms. The front driveshaft got sent out to a driveline company by the dealership for new u-joints and balancing. Also the rear shaft received 2 new u-joints. Problem totally gone now. A visual inspection of the u-joints didn't pick up the problem initially. The shafts had to be pulled for closer inspection. Also check that both shafts are in "phase" as this will cause vibrations. Good Luck

It is a shame that the most dealers cannot (or will not) do these things for you
Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Herb

Yes, I was pleasantly suprised that the dealership sent my front shaft out to the "experts" to rectify the problem. One of the lucky ones I guess.

Gregg

Quick Reply: Dealer tells me my vibration problem is "Normal Driving Characteristics"??!?!