3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer tells me my vibration problem is "Normal Driving Characteristics"??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer tells me my vibration problem is "Normal Driving Characteristics"??!?!

So I've had my truck into the dealer several times for a vibration I've been having. They finally brought in a DC Factory Rep to drive the truck and install a vibration analyser. They have had the truck for two days, and I just got a call back. The rep told them "Do not authorize ANY repairs. This vehicle has normal ride characteristics for a vehicle of this type". I mean, W T F, mate?! Sometimes on long trips it feels like my kidneys are going to fall out it gets so bad! Needless to say, I'm a bit p'oed here. I though that FINALLY I could get this all done with, but of course DC once again doesn't want to fess up to their screwups.

Anyone know a dealer worth mentioning in the Northern VA area?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Sorry I can answer your question but did it vibrate before you put the 315's on?

Are these tyres mounted on the stock rims?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary C
Sorry I can answer your question but did it vibrate before you put the 315's on?

Are these tyres mounted on the stock rims?

That was gonna be my first question. When did this vibration start? What kind of tread do these tires have on them? I have driven a lot of trucks over the years being in my business and I know a lot of the problems with ride and handling were caused by tires. Now, if you had this problem before this is not the case. In any case, it'd probably be easier to pin point the problem with the factory tires on it.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM

The vibration problem started about 6 MONTHS after I added the BFG 315s. I had originally though that they were causing it, so I bought a brand shiney new set of 315 MTZs, but it did the same thing. I also swapped on some known-good stock sized tires and it didn't change. So it is not the tires.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Upon looking in your gallery I see you have changed the blocks under your rear springs. How much different are they from the factory ones? Changing the blocks affects the driveshaft angle's and if the driveshaft angle's aren't just right you get instant vibrations.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Those blocks were removed shortly after the vibration started. That was actually the second thing I did to chase this problem, after replacing the rear driveshaft.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:41 PM

I had this same problem on an old 1500 dodge I had a few years back..I put som bigger tires on it with a heavier ply, and after a couple months, it was vibrating so bad I couldn't stand it. It turns out the tires were bad. They had developed flat spots in the tread. I don't know what caused the flat spots, but look into it, it sounds like it could be what's giving you problems.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

I was really surprised after 5k how badly my tyres got out of balance. One of the may reasons I go to Discount tire for my free rotation and balance. Also I would retorque the U bolts on the rear also.
LOL, I always say I want the Indy Car Balance(the fastest the machine will go)...

Also I had on my 04.5 with 325/60/18's 2 bad tires...

Lets hope you start getting some good vibrations
Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM

So I got back from the dealer. Here is the exact words on the invoice:
"Road Tested by Zone Tech Rep ******* 25 Miles. Found Normal Ride Quality and Normal Driveline Characteristic for this type of Vehicle. Felt normal vibration at HWY speeds of 60-70 mph and lower speeds. We we advised not to make any repairs to try and change ride. Zone Rep felt this vehicle's ride quality is much better than any other vehicle with same complaint that he is involved with. No service performed. Note: Vehicle is equipped with aftermarket exhaust and over sized aggressive tires."
I spoke with the service manager for a while and he seems like he is on my side, but can't perform any repairs until the Rep approves them. So my feeling is, they KNOW it has a VIBRATION, but consider it NORMAL? What the crap is a NORMAL VIBRATION? So my $35K truck is SUPPOSED to vibrate, because it isn't a Caddy? They admit they feel the vibration. The Service Manager even said the Rep described "The rear view mirror was shaking while driving on the highway". That doesn't even happen on my Jeep, and it has had every single wheel weight ripped off by rocks, and tires have 25K on them with lots of chunks missing.

The SM is supposed to be calling the rep back and letting me know what he says on Monday. He is trying to schedule another drive, but this time I'm going to hook a 7,000lb trailer behind the truck and REALLY show him how bad it can get.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 PM

If you can get your hands on a set i would change back to OEM tires before i took it back for another drive inspection.
As long as you have those "aggresive" tires on you will get no where.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM

You know I had forgoten that certain types of aftermarket exhaust will set up a heck of a drone that feels like a vibration. I have experienced that a couple times on different trucks we have traded in over the years. Might be something there worth investigating?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:21 AM

My so-called "aftermarket exhaust" is just a muffler elimination kit from Geno's!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 AM

there is a driveshaft problem that causes vibrations in these trucks. My dealer replaced the complete driveshaft assembly on mine and "shimmed" the center "carrier" bearing mounting assembly.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a forum on a Dodge dealers website where the dealer describes about ten fixes for this problem. Can't remember the site or dealer name but it was posted somewhere here or on tdr...
Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 AM

I think that discussion is over at the Carson Dodge website.
http://www.carsondodge.com/Forums/Index.php

I kept my stock tires just for times like yours. Maybe you could 'invite' them into bolting up a set of stock tires as a challenge. If they believe it is your tires causing the problem, then a 25 mile drive on a set of takeoffs should give either your or them the vantage point. If it increases with towing, by all means I would tow something in for the test too. If a dealer wants to just blow you off as normal, they should be prepared to go the distance with you before they write it off. Call it as fair play.

CD

Quick Reply: Dealer tells me my vibration problem is "Normal Driving Characteristics"??!?!