3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer/STAR's Answer to P0514 Code!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer/STAR's Answer to P0514 Code!!!

Had the P0514 Batt Temp sensor code go off for the 4th time since new (Jan. 05). First time after a week old. Cleaned and code cleared. 2nd time after 2 weeks old. Sensor replaced. No problems until this week. Code again on Tuesday. Tightened batt post clamps - code cleared. Code again yesterday. Dealer calls STAR and answer given was...............

No fix on this problem. We're working on it. Dealer apologizes for this problem and says all I can do is drive with Check engine light ON!!!! They claim there is NOTHING wrong with truck.

What is the purpose of the Check engine light then?????

I am NOT comfortable driving with light on. What happens if something really IS wrong and I would NOT know as light will always be on???

Is there going to be a fix for this problem???

Can I clear codes myself? ObviouslyI would check codes first and if only the 0514 I would clear. This would save me a trip to dealer everytime I want code cleared.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM

I have cleared mine several time already, I have a snap on scanner, but any generic code reader will do it.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

that would be a serious problem her in New Jersey, CEL is an automatic failure on inspection....... big red sticker and you have zero if ands or butts about it.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:27 AM

DC is developing another program (flash)for the computer. Now if it starts to flash your in big trouble. If it really bugs you that much put a piece of tape over the light.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
DC is developing another program (flash)for the computer. Now if it starts to flash your in big trouble. If it really bugs you that much put a piece of tape over the light.
Are you sure you don't work for DC? That solution sounds just like the one I got from DC in regards to the in-cab water leak that the dealer can't fix on mine. Per DC customer service " sorry about your problem but you will just have to live with it". Black tape on a vehicle that costs this much, what a solution! At least a reflash is being worked on to fix your problem Baja Man.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:36 AM

When I get a chance I will look in the manual and see what the ECM uses for a battery temp sensor to better understand how it actually works. Having said that there is no danger to driving with the Check Engine Light on as it is really only informing you of a trouble code that has been set. If it is flashing it usually means that the codes are definitely a fault not just a hiccup as the condition for the code to set is currently happening constantly. Unless there is something that you physically notice wrong (like vehicle running on only half cylinders, extreme smoke, high coolant temp, low oil pressure etc then don’t worry too much. I would still check the code (I assume you know how to check it yourself?) If not then I will outline it anyways. Cycle the ignition key 3 times and then leave in the run position. The odometer section will then either spit out a code or say ‘done’. To clear the code isn’t quite as easy but yes it can be done yourself without a scan tool also. Simply disconnect the negative on both batteries and leave sitting for 15mins. If you are confident that both batteries are disconnected you can also take the negative from one battery and touch it to the positive on the same battery as this will force a all the capacitors in the system to drain and kinda force an electronic reset of all control units.***CAUTION*** make sure both batteries have the negative terminals disconnected from the batteries before touching one of the negative terminals to the positive terminal. If you are uncomfortable doing this just leave the batteries disconnected for 15mins minimum. The only downside to disconnecting the batteries is that you will have to set your clock and radio again but the computer should be clear of any codes.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 AM

IF the light is flashing....it means there is castostophic failure for the catalytic converter only........and thats in gasoline vehicles only.

Its simply,....light comes on...turn the key three times. If its code 514....blow it off. After 4 engine starts, it will turn off the light, but the code will be in the PCM for about 40 engine starts. So if the light comes on again, same procedure...if its now something other than 514, then you fix that problem then.

At least on out trucks, the SES light is a small engine.....on some cars its HUGE, and is really annoying.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
culd the code mean that the batts need to be replaced? try replacing the batts and see what happens or atleast get them checked. jmo
Old 12-10-2005, 03:22 PM

Good point about the flashing light being only for gasoline vehicles (at this point at least) and yeah it does mean that something like a Bad misfire has been detected or on some cars it can even detect leaking fuel injectors which will have the same effect, it simply means that there is excessive unburned fuel making it's way to the cataytic convetor which will cause it to get too hot internally and basically self destuct. It doesn't mean pull oer and shut off immediately but it does mean get to a shop for diagnosis at earliest convienience before meltdown does happen. Often this is accompanied by a physical sign such as a misfire or smoke or bad runnign that can be felt but not always.

Just thinking that we may soon see this on our trucks also because we do have convertors now...even if they don't work quite the same and are called 'particualte chambers' but we may start seeing emission standards to start detecting such conditions on our diesels...but maybe not?

Agreed with the fact of do the key thing to see if it is battery code and if it is just ignore it...if not take it in.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:17 PM

The 514 code has been around as long as the third gens have been out. I have had it on my '03 once. If you do a search, back at least two years, you will see a lot of talk about it. Moisture seems to be the biggest cause of it.