3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer says to run the engine hard until it gets worse, THEN bring it in for warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer says to run the engine hard until it gets worse, THEN bring it in for warranty

Is this for real.....is he being legit or am I just a sucker??? Long thread but please bear with me.

I've been having issues with my truck, rough idle, lots of white smoke, puking oil out of the crankcase blow tube(covering the undercarraige of the truck, 9-10 quarts in 6500 miles) and the dealer says "run it hard until it gets worse, and THEN bring it in for warranty work...it's covered."

Here are threads describing issue in more depth:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0-t248354.html
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t245375.html

Says it has some blow by(don't know how they determined that, but that's what I figured).....dealer thinks a broken ring or something, at least one of the cylinders is done. BUT, he says, everything is still within specs, so they can't do anything right now under warranty...(he says this quietly, like he's giving me some inside information?????)

The truck does sound good and idles good after the first minute, still has good power, (seems like it is suffering a bit, but not much). So what do I do
??? Am I being taken for ride? OR, is he legit? Sprays oil on the bottom and whatever I'm towing, but not every time.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM

How many miles do you have on the truck? Sounds like he's giving you a heads up to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jcarrillo
How many miles do you have on the truck? Sounds like he's giving you a heads up to me.

I meant to post that....there is just under 77000 miles, but that is what I was thinking?

Any other opinions?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM

I'd find another dealer that will fix it now. I'd hate to be stuck on side of the road later when i knew the truck was sick.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
I'd find another dealer that will fix it now. I'd hate to be stuck on side of the road later when i knew the truck was sick.
Ya, the wife and I were just talking about that....5th wheel and boat, could be real costly.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 AM

I think in short the dealer is telling you blow it up, thier hands are bound about what they can do. The truck comes in with problems, dodge tells them to do XXX test, if the truck passes then dodge says not a problem. But if the truck doesn't pass then dodge tells them to fix XX, and XXX. Even though the mechanic knows it's not going to work, it's just to much hassle to argue with them.

So they are basically telling you to blow it up and have it towed back so they can put an engine in it and fix it for good with no questoins.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Make sure there are no mods when you blow it.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

I would have a discussion with the service manager and the tech. Ask why you can't get the truck fixed now. Be polite and explain that having the underside of your truck coated with oil and consuming the large amounts of oil you are is unacceptable. If they can't explain their position to you in a manner that you can accept, then go to a new dealer. Don't get in an argument or get pushy but be persistent until you get enough info to make a good decision.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Make sure everything is documented on the repair order. (The copy that you receive also). Compression test and cylinder leakage test also. If the engine is blowing oil out of the breather you have a piston ring broken or stuck and possible cylinder wall damage. Most likely the number #6 cylinder, since every 5.9 diesel I have ever replaced is always that cylinder. (Unless your injecting it with propane that's another story). Possible cooling issue with number 6 causing piston and cylinder damage. Also I had problems with certain oil filters coming apart and Piston cooling nozzles getting plugged. Either way the cylinder head needs to come off to inspect the cylinder walls. Most likely need short block and new injectors. The remans that I have gotten from Chrysler had problems. Oil leaking from oil galley plug, seems they installed wrong size plug. So word to the wise. After I installed engine I had major oil leak. I had to install another plug after pulling trans 4X4 truck. I was not a happy camper. Three days work chrysler payed me 12 hours + R&R time for trans. Glad I'm getting out of this profession in a few more years. It's a dying business.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Three days work chrysler payed me 12 hours + R&R time for trans. Glad I'm getting out of this profession in a few more years. It's a dying business.
Don't worry, your not alone with that feeling, it's not just Chrysler but all major brands. I too am looking to jump ship in the near future...Good luck and hope you find something that works out.