3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer installed Jake Brake yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer installed Jake Brake yesterday

It took my dealer 6 hours to install my Jake Brake yesterday. He added lots of wiring and vacuum pump and new big belt. The control to turn on/off is on the gear shift. This thing works slick. It works all the way down to 750-800 rpms and the 48re downshifts as the truck slows. Will use it this weekend up on the BlueRidge. It cost me $1325.00 plus cost of installation. I'll get photos later today.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Pics would be great. Price seems pretty good.

I also have some interest in getting this done on my 06 megacab.

Especially since it will be covered by warranty.

Strea
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leave mine on all the time!

I'm sure people behind me don't like the way I slow down to a light...but I don't have to use the brakes until ~20mph or some moron cuts off that big slow truck !

It's great when towing: cruise control work the jake coming down the hill to keep the truck at the speed setpoint!

Enjoy!

Tony
Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Photos are on my website in signature

Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by DanTana
It took my dealer 6 hours to install my Jake Brake yesterday. He added lots of wiring and vacuum pump and new big belt. The control to turn on/off is on the gear shift. This thing works slick. It works all the way down to 750-800 rpms and the 48re downshifts as the truck slows. Will use it this weekend up on the BlueRidge. It cost me $1325.00 plus cost of installation. I'll get photos later today.
DanTana,

Do you mind sharing what the dealer charged for installation? I'm thinking of having it done and would like an "out the door" price to compare to. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Cost

$1325.00 for brake
$582.00 for labor plus tax.

This was dealer 5.5 or 6 hours labor
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 AM

I asked my dealer and was quoted $1731.00 plus tax. I thought that was steep, but I guess is about right.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were at $1800.00 out the door.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Sorry but the "Jake Brake" thing just kills me. Are you sure its not an exaust brake??
Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 PM

Yeah, its really not a "Jake" break, but a "Jacob's Exhaust Brake".
Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Yeah, its really not a "Jake" break, but a "Jacob's Exhaust Brake".
I think there is a major difference between a brake that shuts off the exaust at the turbo by closing the exaust off and a brake that changes exaust vavle timmimg basicly turning the engine into a compressor (Jacobson Brake). With a Jacobson type brake every time the piston comes to the top of the compresson stroke, the exaust valve is opened to release the energy. Thats why you get that distinct noise and a quick spool of the turbo.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 PM

Jake engine brakes and Jake exhaust brakes are both commonly referred to as Jake brakes because they are both manufactured by Jacobs Engineering. It seems that everyone on this site knows that the engine brake is not available for the Dodge Ram trucks. So what is the big deal of referring to the "Jake Exhaust Brake" as a Jake Brake? I believe the "Pac Exhaust Brake" is commonly referred to as the Pac Brake. Why scold everyone for using abbreviated terminology that everyone understands?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin B
I think there is a major difference between a brake that shuts off the exaust at the turbo by closing the exaust off and a brake that changes exaust vavle timmimg basicly turning the engine into a compressor (Jacobson Brake). With a Jacobson type brake every time the piston comes to the top of the compresson stroke, the exaust valve is opened to release the energy. Thats why you get that distinct noise and a quick spool of the turbo.

huhh,so thats how they work.Glad you could enlighten everyone
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 AM

huhh,so thats how they work.Glad you could enlighten everyone

Why scold everyone for using abbreviated terminology that everyone understands?

First let me apologize. With that being said....................................EASY.

That is just one of MY pet peaves,as I stated, sorry for sharing. Its kind of like the guy that pulls his diesel PICKUP up to the fuel island blocking the only place big trucks can get in and hit both tanks at once.

Again let me apologize to Dan, I checked out your home page and im just jealous of your rig. To everyone else I will keep my "issues" to myself as not to make you think your being talked down to .
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin B
First let me apologize. With that being said....................................EASY.

That is just one of MY pet peaves,as I stated, sorry for sharing. Its kind of like the guy that pulls his diesel PICKUP up to the fuel island blocking the only place big trucks can get in and hit both tanks at once.

Again let me apologize to Dan, I checked out your home page and im just jealous of your rig. To everyone else I will keep my "issues" to myself as not to make you think your being talked down to .
Kevin,

No apology necessary. The information you shared is just as valuable as the rest, especially for someone new to diesels or the site. This subject can be confusing for a newbie, especially since the term Jake brake is used so loosely.

Quick Reply: Dealer installed Jake Brake yesterday