3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DEAL or NO Deal? front end wear...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DEAL or NO Deal? front end wear...

Hey there fellas! My cynical nature got the best of me.

I have a 2004 CTD short box single rear wheel 4wd and am eating front tires. (cupping, scallops) went to dealership, wanted front end alignment done with inspection.

Vehicle back, cost ten bucks- ya I know, why am I complaining-no need for front end alignment; rotate tires at 5,000 miles and you'll be fine.
these are the goodyears that are stock with 40,000 plus miles on them of highway miles, some 4wd snow condition travel (less than 5,000 miles) and about 1,000 miles of heavy haul marine towing with a 7 ton gooseneck hidden hitch set up tied to the frame (typical lightened the front end problem).

I have no play in the tie rod ends or drag link, no loose play on the bearings (pressing the freed wheel back and forth when lefted). and that about ends my knowledge of these new trucks. I know with the extreme wear the front defintely need replacing, suggested that all four to be replaced per the dealer.

Am I lcuky? Is this an okay situation? tire defect? any opinion from you all knowing Lords of Dodge trucks??!!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM

I would say if you haven't replaced the shocks yet, they would be a good starting point. Alignment problems usually don't cause cupping wear. A shock does not have to leak to be bad. Bad front shocks do cause cupping wear. You may want to start with a front pair of Billsteins and a steering damper. As far as rotation goes, it may be too late. 40K is a lot for any set of tires, no matter who makes them. Suit yourself. Any dry rotting at all? Best of luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by v12xke
I would say if you haven't replaced the shocks yet, they would be a good starting point. Alignment problems usually don't cause cupping wear. A shock does not have to leak to be bad. Bad front shocks do cause cupping wear. You may want to start with a front pair of Billsteins and a steering damper. As far as rotation goes, it may be too late. 40K is a lot for any set of tires, no matter who makes them. Suit yourself. Any dry rotting at all? Best of luck.

THANKS! and as I said- lucky with that mileage to have little problem. Will check the shocks and re do all four tires AND rotate them properly. nope, no dry rot and thanks again!