3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cummins transplant questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out www.cummins-conversion.com
Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 AM

after more than a year i am back at it. i have now gotten some progress on my cummins bronco project. does anyone have a number i can call or know of a way to get the cummins wiring diagram? i dont want the dodge one as it will be dodge ram specific, i want the cummins one that would be universal and tell me what every wire does.

Does anyone know if the dodge transfer cases have the input hole from 93-07 or do they change? thanks. more pics in probably two weeks when i go back to work on it.

the 5.9 cummins going in

Motor didnt allow enough room from front of fan to back of tranny adapter plate for the radiator.

we got tired of dealing with the up and down of the chain hoist and the need to cut out more firewall led us to taking off the front clip:

another:

then we fabed up some motor mounts and welded them in. the pre-formed cups you see here that we are welding in are motor mounts from a chevy 454.

left from front

left from back

right from front

and right from back

motor sitting in from inside the cab:

where i still need to either beat more firewall in or cut some out and replace with something allowing more space for a full 4" exhaust pipe to fit thru here:

and thats were it stops for now. my transfer case ended up not working out. ford and dodge would bolt up if not for a different output shaft. so if anyone knows where i can get a transfer case from a 93-98 dodge cummins let me know.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 AM

I'm not positive, but I would think with the weight and torque of a CTD you would want to go beefier on the motor mounts. And also maybe box in the rest of the frame to help strengthen it. I read somewhere the Cummins weighs about 1100 lbs, I don't think your 400 weighed more than 800lbs? But i could be wrong.

OTher than that, it's gonna be awesome, good luck!!

I hope to some day put a CTD into my chevy (see sig).
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM

those motor mounts are from a chevy 454. they will probably hold up untill i start modifiying the motor with injectors and a programmer, which will probably be a while as i am a college student. this is a budget build if you can consider a ctd transplant budget. haha. i have a dana 60's front and rear from a 79 ford and i am looking into stiffer springs. i am considering a divorced transfercase but am not sure what i would have to do to mate it up to the tranny. lots of things to sort out yet, but i feel up to the task.

thanks for looking.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM

ok, so i am back now with some summer cash from my 60+ hours per week excavation job. i remember reading a post somewhere (definately on a forum, but not sure if it was this one) that included a phone number and possible website for a company that i could send in the computer off my '03 cummins to have it reprogrammed to get rid of some things that make transplants difficult. if i remember correctly the cost was around $250. if anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

i am also looking for an intercooler off a 2000-2002 ford SD, but it has to be the all aluminum one. cant have the plastic end tanks.
I would also like to buy an exhaust elbow off of a 2004.5 and up CTD(4 inch on both sides as opposed to my 4 inch and 3 inch) from someone who might have replaced theres for a jake brake and has an extra lying around.

thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 PM

i have a 4in downpipe off and 05 CTD make me an offer