3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cummins transplant questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cummins transplant questions

i recently bought an '03 cummins engine off ebay. it originally had an automatic tranny, i really want to put a manual behind it. is this possible or will the computer be messed up? does anyone know of a site that will explain what the vin # means for my engine? i dont know if it is the h.o. or not. It came out of a 3500, and im putting it in a '79 ford bronco. any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Check the tag on the engine for HP rating. Check with a dealer about reflash options for changing to a manual trans. Pics when you get done would be great.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by craser
i recently bought an '03 cummins engine off ebay. it originally had an automatic tranny, i really want to put a manual behind it. is this possible or will the computer be messed up? does anyone know of a site that will explain what the vin # means for my engine? i dont know if it is the h.o. or not. It came out of a 3500, and im putting it in a '79 ford bronco. any help would be appreciated.

That is going to be one awsome off-roader, please post pics
Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM

i will definately post pics. wont happen for a while. i need to get it all together. i bought the automatic tranny that mates to the motor, but everyone knows dodge autos suck ***. i just talked to my local dodge dealer, they dont see any problem with hooking up a manual. i need a couple more opinions before i do it. i need to get the motor mounts. i am gonna have to figure out what i am gonna do for suspension up front. anyone got any suggestions for any of this? and where can i buy a good 4 inch down tube for a decent price? im going straight 4 inch all the way back. i also need to do something about the dana 44 upfront.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:19 PM

Make sure you get good suspension done in the front. The Cummins is heavy!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM

craser, In the 03 the tranny was controlled by a separate pcm - powertrain control module. The stock tranny is fine if you are leaving it stock. But just add a triple disc torque converter, a shift kit for the valve body, and rebuilt the rest with billet shafts and you'll be able to lock up the tranny in 1st and hold it up to 700hp. If you can get a manual tranny cheap go for it. Stock clutches are good for 400 hp reliably then you'll have to upgrade but the tranny itself is pretty bombproof. Check out SuperDuty on this site. He put an 05 Cummins in a ford. ks
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

"aser, In the 03 the tranny was controlled by a separate pcm - powertrain control module."

I dunno about the 03s, but the 05 Cummins ECM controlls the auto transmission.

No problem putting an auto on these. Just get the ECM reprogrammed to be for a manual. Any dealer can do it if you hook up the OBDII port to the ECM. Most won't and many won't know what to do either.

The other thing you need to watch is whether it had a SKIM module on it.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 PM

thanks for the info, i really want to go with a manual. what is a SKIM module, where is it and what would it do. i talked to my local dodge dealer and they had no idea on how to actually do the conversion, they were just fairly sure it could be done.

"Most won't and many won't know what to do either."

--do you mean they wont know how to reprogram the ECM for a manual?

"Make sure you get good suspension done in the front. The Cummins is heavy!"

--i know im gonna have to beef up the suspension. does anyone have any insight as to which coil springs would hold that much with a 4 inch lift in a 79 ford??

thanks for all your help.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by craser
thanks for the info, i really want to go with a manual. what is a SKIM module, where is it and what would it do.
--do you mean they wont know how to reprogram the ECM for a manual?

--i know im gonna have to beef up the suspension. does anyone have any insight as to which coil springs would hold that much with a 4 inch lift in a 79 ford??

thanks for all your help.
The SKIM is Security Key Ignition Module it will kill the truck if it doesn't sense the correctly programmed key in the ignition. it is actually located in the dash of the truck so it shouldn't affect you engine.

all you should have to do is have them flash the computer with the manual program(you will probably need the VIN from a manual equipped truck)

I would say you can use springs from a F2/350 in the front to support the weight but that Cummins will destroy anything less than a Dana 60 so you should also upgrade the axle
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

"thanks for the info, i really want to go with a manual. what is a SKIM module, where is it and what would it do."

It is the security module that senses that the key is a real Dodge key. Some trucks had it and some don't. If yours had it you need to buy a skim module and tape a key to it, or your engine will start and run for 10 seconds and then shut off.

"i talked to my local dodge dealer and they had no idea on how to actually do the conversion, they were just fairly sure it could be done."

Dealers don't know squat, generally.

"--do you mean they wont know how to reprogram the ECM for a manual?"

Ask them and see what they say. I think they will laugh at you and tell you it isn't possible.

"Make sure you get good suspension done in the front. The Cummins is heavy!"

Most of the old big blocks weighed 650-750 pounds, so a Cummins isn't that much heavier.

"i know im gonna have to beef up the suspension. does anyone have any insight as to which coil springs would hold that much with a 4 inch lift in a 79 ford??"

Put the engine in first and go from there. A 79 For probably weighs 2500 pounds on the front axle. An extra 250 lbs isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM

wow, thanks for all your help. superduty, i looked at your truck. very nice work.

oh, i got a pic of my bronco in my profile now.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 AM

Keep the auto and build it. I bought my dream truck (with a 6 speed) before I got the bombing bug, and now I wish I had a slush box. My truck would be sooo much faster with a built auto. You just can't shift the manuals fast enough.

The '03-'04 trucks have separate ecm's and transmission control modules.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

"Keep the auto and build it. I bought my dream truck (with a 6 speed) before I got the bombing bug, and now I wish I had a slush box. My truck would be sooo much faster with a built auto. You just can't shift the manuals fast enough. "

And those of us who don't drag race think the 6 speed is just fine. Better, in fact, than the auto.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Check out pirate 4x4's website. My brother is currently building a jeep, he gets a lot of his information from that site. Guys on pirate4x4 site do some wild and innovative stuff.

I second the notion for a D60 or larger up front. You'll kill the ball joints in a 'lil D44 real quick with a 5.9 up there.

My bro was going to coil spring his rig, but decided to go leafy. He has a set of coil springs from a lifted bronco in his garage now. I don't know what lift they were designed for or the spring rate. If you like i could see if he has more info on them. He would probably sell to you for a good price if you are interested.

Eric
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM

i am interested, but if they are just springs for a standard 4 inch lift they wont help much. my bronco is already lifted 4 inch with the springs. i need new springs that accomodate a 4 inch lift AND a cummins and will still fit in the stock coil spring mounts.

Quick Reply: cummins transplant questions