3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cruis inop and airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruis inop and airbag light

On a trip yesterday, The cruise shut off two times on its own. I reset the cruise, and it worked fine, until it shut off the final time. I did a search, and it seems most problems, the light still comes on. Mine however will not come on anymore, and at the same time, my airbag light came on.

I recently replaced a worn steering box, and my son was turning the steering wheel 100 mph while it was unhooked. Dont know much about a clock spring, or if its even the problem. Can someone point me in the right direction? Horn works, but it seems like its much harder to make work.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an update, tonight I was stopped, and then had to make a hard left hand turn. I could hear a clicking noise coming from the steering column area. My question is how do I start pulling the airbag? I tried to feel around, but dont want to screw something up.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Clock spring

Clock spring needs to be replaced although not a big job some special tools are needed.

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL).
Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors from the upper clockspring connector receptacles.
CAUTION: Be certain that the screws that secure the steering wheel puller to the steering wheel are fully engaged in the steering wheel armature without passing through the steering wheel and damaging the clockspring.

Remove the steering wheel from the steering column. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/STEERING WHEEL - REMOVAL).
Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER - REMOVAL).
Grasp the tilt steering column **** (2) firmly and pull it straight rearward to remove it from the tilt adjuster lever (1) on the left side of the column.

From below the steering column, remove the two outboard screws that secure the upper column shroud (1) to the lower shroud (3).
Using hand pressure, push gently inward on both sides of the upper shroud near the parting line between the upper and lower shrouds to release the snap features that secure it to the lower shroud.
Remove the upper shroud from the lower shroud and the steering column.
Remove the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column (4).
Remove the lower shroud from the steering column.
Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the two connector receptacles located below the steering column on the back of the clockspring housing.

Remove the two screws (3) that secure the clockspring to the multi-function switch mounting housing .
Remove the clockspring from the multi-function switch mounting housing. The clockspring cannot be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.
If the removed clockspring is to be reused, be certain to secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case to maintain clockspring centering until it is reinstalled on the steering column. If clockspring centering is not maintained, the clockspring must be centered again before it is reinstalled. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING).

INSTALLATION
NOTE: Do not reuse the old steering wheel bolt (a new bolt must be used)

Install steering wheel to the column
NOTE: Be certain that the steering wheel mounting bolt is tightened to the proper torque specification to ensure proper clockspring operation.

Install the new steering wheel bolt. Tighten the bolt to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.).
Install the driver's side air bag. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - INSTALLATION).
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
REMOVAL
WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, when removing a deployed airbag, rubber gloves, eye protection, and a long-sleeved shirt should be worn. There may be deposits on the airbag cushion and other interior surfaces. In large doses, these deposits may cause irritation to the skin and eyes.

NOTE: The following procedure is for replacement of a faulty or damaged driver airbag. If the airbag is faulty or damaged, but not deployed, review the recommended procedures for handling non-deployed supplemental restraints. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS - STANDARD PROCEDURE - HANDLING NON-DEPLOYED SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINTS). If the driver airbag has been deployed, review the recommended procedures for service after a supplemental restraint deployment before removing the airbag from the vehicle. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS - STANDARD PROCEDURE - SERVICE AFTER A SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT DEPLOYMENT).

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws (3) that secure the driver airbag (1) to the steering wheel armature (2).

CAUTION: Do not pull on the horn switch feed pigtail wire to disengage the connector from the driver airbag housing or to disconnect the horn switch to steering wheel wire harness connection. Improper pulling on this pigtail wire or connection can result in damage to the horn switch membrane or feed circuit.

Pull the driver airbag (1) away from the steering wheel far enough to access the three electrical connections on the back of the airbag housing.
Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connector for the horn switch (2) from the horn switch feed pigtail wire connector (4), which is located on the back of the driver airbag housing.
CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring pigtail wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of these pigtail wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or connector insulators.

The clockspring driver airbag pigtail wire connectors (3) are secured by integral latches to the airbag inflator connector receptacles, which are located on the back of the driver airbag housing. Depress the latches on each side of the connector insulator and pull the insulators straight out from the airbag inflator to disconnect them from the connector receptacles.
Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - REMOVAL).