3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CP3 went out today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone determined that a pressure style box causes this leaking issue to be more prevalent?

A pressure box has nothing to do with the cause of the leak,but if you have the leak and run a pressure box it could cause the pump to leak more then it would without a press.box
Old 03-10-2006, 07:46 AM

I have come to the conclusion that the PUMPS leak. I am on my 3rd one in 60k, I installed a FASS pump system and on occasion, not all the time, it will be damp on the bottom or the pump. The thing I have found out is that he box makes no difference on the leak. Also, it weaps so little fuel (when it does)
that overnight it will evaporate. It also seams like the winter blended fuel is more prone to leaking. Now maybe the stock lift pump had something to due with it the first 2 times, but the time intervals between leaks really don't add up. I will live with it and monitor it for now.... a weap I can handle a leak like the last time that was puddling in my garage NO WAY.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Recently I noticed my torsion bar was wet. Sure enough CP3 is leaking. Only 10,000miles. This means a trip to the dealer. For you guys that have made the trip already. How long does it take the dealer swap the pump out? Was it a new pump or rebuilt? Would a cummins service shop make the repair under warrenty?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Polish Rocket
Recently I noticed my torsion bar was wet. Sure enough CP3 is leaking. Only 10,000miles. This means a trip to the dealer. For you guys that have made the trip already. How long does it take the dealer swap the pump out? Was it a new pump or rebuilt? Would a cummins service shop make the repair under warrenty?

Thanks
Cummins will NOT do warranty work unless it is authorized by DC and the dealer doesn't have the ability to do the work. The dealer should have a tech capable of swapping the pump.

I dropped my truck off at 8 AM this morning and they did:

1. Changed CP3
2. Tested LP
3 Changed oil and filters
4. Washed the truck.

Had it back by 1 PM. Swapping the pump is not that big of a deal if they don't mess it up.

Had the leaking CP3 diagnosed on a Friday and dealer had the pump the following Wednesday. Problem was they didn't have a diesel tech to do the work for another week and a half. Has to send him to training on the diesel trucks.

As far as the pump leaking and living with it, don't know whether that is such a good idea. I have had the RokTek CPS on for about 8k miles and never really noticed a difference in power. No rattle under lug, engine was way quiet. Almost like it was a stock piece. Over the last 3 weeks or so mileage jumped 2-3 mpg over the norm for the speed and temps. After getting a new pump its a whole new deal. Bottom end power is way up, ignition rattle is noticeable under a lug, and the motor sounds a lot more crisp at an idle. Will se where the mileage goes now. There was definitely a problem with the pump leaking that was directly effecting engine performance. While not all leaking pumps may do this it was definite problem on mine. CP3 leaks may be a lot more of a problem than anybody thinks.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sawboywv1
I have come to the conclusion that the PUMPS leak. I am on my 3rd one in 60k, I installed a FASS pump system and on occasion, not all the time, it will be damp on the bottom or the pump. The thing I have found out is that he box makes no difference on the leak. Also, it weaps so little fuel (when it does)
that overnight it will evaporate. It also seams like the winter blended fuel is more prone to leaking. Now maybe the stock lift pump had something to due with it the first 2 times, but the time intervals between leaks really don't add up. I will live with it and monitor it for now.... a weap I can handle a leak like the last time that was puddling in my garage NO WAY.
The wet spot on my garage floor is the size of a softball . A little more than a damp spot here !