3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CP3 saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next steps in the CP3 dance today and I really thought I'd skipped it this time.

Appt for pump replace was for today. Dropped truck last night. Get a call at 3:30... just needed to let me know that because of the aftermarket parts on the truck, the repair can't be done until the truck is "inspected". Same joke as last time. They need to call in a "regional rep" to look at my X-monitor and decide it didn't cause the CP3 failure. I know this is not up there with the real horror stories some tell, but boy is this getting annoying.

I'm wondering again... anyone had success with sending DC a letter to complain?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:39 PM

this is my 2nd 3rd gen and both had leaky cp3 but i was no big deal! my dads 04 is the same way no big deal. i am sure it will do this for the next 200K miles cummins engines leak fuild but do so well for at least 350K

no need to chase every little area where fluid is misting and collecting dust

if it dripping lots of fuel then you need to worry
Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Another day of aggravation.

No work done on the truck. According to the service writer they have "signs of tampering" which were found on the first pump they replaced so now they want to inspect my truck before the second pump goes in. The truck is bone stock. I have no idea what they are talking about.

The regional rep will look at the truck at noon tomorrow. The service writer agreed to call me if they find anything. He finally admitted he knows nothing about diesels and he's just the messenger here.

As noted by another... for a minor leak I could just let it go - in fact if I was paying out of pocket I would let it go a bit more. But just how much fuel should leak out of a properly functioning pump? In my view none.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Well it sounds like if you had FASS or some other LP on your truck, you would void the warranty for sure. It's good to get some facts on this, as others will tell you that FASS will not void the warranty. I was just about ready to order one, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by lamadera
Well it sounds like if you had FASS or some other LP on your truck, you would void the warranty for sure.
It sounds that way to me too, but I just don't know -- and I don't want to spread misinformation on this. The service writer seems in the dark, so I can't take anything he says as a fact. I'll post the resolution on this as it unfolds. I almost hope I get a call from the regional rep so I can ask him what he is looking for and what an "inspection" means. Still the best news would be for the rep to look at the truck, realize there's nothing to inspect, and let them install the dang pump.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask to speak with the DC regional rep and point out that they will be replacing the CP3 annually until 7/100 unless they install a lift pump which puts out decent pressure. It's always a good idea to let them know upfront that they can't pull the wool over your eyes. Good luck and please keep us posted.

PS: Hopefully your lift pump will soon crap out completely! Then they'll have no choice but to replace it with the new design which goes in the tank where it belongs.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM

The saga continues.

I spoke to the regional rep who had denied my warranty claim because he suspected I'd tampered with something!
Long story short... see thread he approved the claim but would not talk about doing the LP. I told him I expected to speak to him again next winter!

The service advisor just called to tell me that although the claim was approved, the shop is too busy to do the work today. So... it looks like I'll be towing NJ to Florida and back with a seeping CP3.

I don't expect it could cause me to get stuck on the road, but I'll make sure my Good Sam ERS card is in the truck anyway. What a hassle.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM

Sounds like you need to find a better dealer. You`ve been through this same song & dance with them before. It still amazes me that there are so many dealers who act like this about warranty work. DC knows this is a common problem, yet they try (just like every other automaker) to wiggle thier way out of doing the work. On top of that, alot of dealers are so misinformed, they automaticly assume that the Cummins is bulletproof and that if there is a problem, it has to be something that the owner did instead of a flaw with the vehicle. I`m glad I have a fairly mod-friendly dealer in my area.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:43 AM

does anyone know is the cp3 a star part.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Cp3

Mine got replaced last week. This is like an epidemic. Part was ordered through STAR.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:19 PM

yes... my cp3's needed to come from STAR.
On the first one they required the regional rep to see the truck before the part was shipped. On the second one they required the regional rep to see the truck after the part was shipped but before it was installed.

The process is a big hassle but at least my repair was OK'd for a minor leak, didn't need to wait for it to get really bad first. Truck still tows great with the seeping though...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:07 PM

all my seals are on the way for my rebuild should be here this week from my local seal shop.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM

OK... this chapter is finally done.

After jerking me around the dealership could not manage to replace the pump before I left for vacation in March (towing). So I ran the truck with the leaking CP3 for another 5,000 miles up to now. The leak never got worse and never got to the point it was staining my garage floor. It just seeped fuel and left a thin film on the bottom of the pump. Part of my delay in fixing this was how long it took me to getting around to installing a fuel pressure gauge. I've got one now. I see 7.5psi at idle and 6psi typical. With 15K on the fuel filter I could suck it down to 4psi at WOT, now with a new filter it drops to just about 5psi. This weekend I'll see what it does towing heavy. Anyway... I'm not yet convinced I lost 2 CP3's on low fuel volume - but we will still see how low the pressure goes when it gets cold again.

I just picked up the truck with a new CP3. This makes the third one and I've only got 29,000 more on the warranty... Let's hope this one does better.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the update Dave. My replacement CP3 has been good. Knock wood.