3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CP3 saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CP3 saga continues

From the PM's I got after the other thread was locked I'd guess a few people are interested in this info.

First, to clarify the "failure". A seepy CP3 doesn't have symptoms - the truck starts and runs fine. And by seepy I mean just a trace amount of fuel collects (see picture in my gallery) on the housing of the pump. No spots on the driveway nothing big. My view is that any fuel leaking out is too much fuel leaking out. I found it because I look around under the truck each time I change the oil. I look closely at the CP3 because the last one failed. The last one was leaking enough that I saw an oily film on the engine block and traced it up to the CP3. I suggest getting under the truck regularly and looking around. In addition to the CP3, I've found a leaking pinion seal and block heater that way.

I stopped by the dealer today to set up an appointment for the new CP3 and to ask the service writer some questions. Unfortunately the service writer was pretty evasive... They are just doing the CP3 not the LP. When I suggested the LP he said that they can't do anything DC doesn't approve and if the LP was needed he was sure DC would suggest it. He mentioned that they had to send "stacks of information from the computers" to get the repair authorized. I didn't ask this... but do any of the computers know if the CP3 is being starved for fuel? I'd guess they were just looking for signs of a fuel system mod and since I have none they approved the repair because the tech saw fuel leaking, not because of anything the computer showed??

I mentioned my plan to get a FP gauge and he said he could not be sure that wouldn't void a future warranty. When I mentioned getting an improved after-market LP he said he was almost positive that would void the warranty.

I'm very tempted to just leave this alone and see how the next CP3 works out. I'm OK with letting DC buy me a fourth pump too...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While doing some under carriage checks I find I have the same problem. The bottom of front diff is wet as is track bar and tie rod. I start looking and there is fuel dripping off the CPS harness which runs between the CP3 and block. After a quick trip to the dealer a new CP3 is on the way. Tech verified the pump is leaking somewher on the back side. Service writer and tech both said they had a lot of problems with the 04's but this is the first 05 that they have seen. Evidently the issue is not fixed yet. I mentioned the LP and testing but they normally don't do it unless there is a performance problem or idle problem and it is a 2 hour procedure. I wonder if that means I need to foot the bill for the proceudre? Gonna have to have some more discussions with them.

I have been watching the oil for diesel and checking for leaks since I got the truck 7 months ago. Up until now there has been no sign of problems. I have right at 29k miles and 650 hours on it. 90% of the fuel thru this truck has been premium diesel and the rest from high volume places. It has had PS\MMO almost every tank. Fuel filter is changed every 10-12k. I have had no issues with low power, injector knock, or anything else that would suggest bad fuel or carboning. The only thing that has differed since I bought it is the temps over the last 2 months have been considerably lower. Not cold by a long shot but but down into the single digits and teens.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious rhyme or reason to why the pumps start leaking. The ones I know of are geographically scattered in varying climates. About the only thing we don't know is the fuel pressures over the course of time. I had a theory it was maybe just sub standard fuel but that doesn't work either as a couple friends have been fueling wherever and have no problems.

It would be interesting to be able to get info back on why each of these pumps fail but as long as the dealers are just parts swapping we will never get anything meaningful. Ah well, DC can pay for them until the warranty is up then I will have to send one to somebody that can tell me why its failing.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:31 PM

Trust me when I say that you are not getting a new CP3...you are getting a refurbised one that buddy popped last month. They will keep doing this because it is cheaper than giving you the labor and new parts that the lift pump would entail. These 26k psi fuel pumps leak easily when the seals are not being kept very moist and tight. This happens when the fuel gets thicker at lower temps and when the lift pump is not supplying excess fuel for pump cooling. If you are very easy on the throttle until the block gets up to temp....20 minutes of normal driving in cooler climes then the pump will be happier. WOT on cool fuel on a cold block =leaky CP3 it seems. ks
Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 PM

My first CP3 was replaced last month with 19,000 miles on a stock truck. I noticed some spots on the driveway just before Christmas. Based upon what I had learned here, I had to SHOW the tech where it was leaking, before he called STAR to get a new CP3 authorized. Except for a couple of brief cold snaps, we have been having a pretty mild winter here in the Philadelphia area.

So far (knock wood) the new (rebuilt?) CP3 seems to be dry, but I do keep my eye on it. If it starts again, I'm going to take Diesel Dave up on his offer to put a guage on my lift pump.

By the way, it was hard enough to get my dealer to even ADMIT there was a problem with th CP3 until I got him under the truck to show it to him - no WAY would he even consider the lift pump.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by wexman
... I had to SHOW the tech where it was leaking, before he called STAR to get a new CP3 authorized. ...- no WAY would he even consider the lift pump.
matches my experience too.
One part of the story I left out. I originally had the second CP3 looked at when I got my pinion seal done. When the truck was ready the dealer called me while I was driving to say the seal was replaced. I asked about the CP3 and he said, "oh you left your water separator cracked open, the pump is fine". I felt kind of dumb at that point and said "OK". But when I got to the dealer it had dawned on me that the fuel under the CP3 couldn't get there from the separator valve which drains down on the front diff... The mechanic who mis-diagnosed it had left, but they sent someone else out to look with me but the CP3 was clean as far as I could tell in the dark in the parking lot.

The next week, when my new door seals came in, I checked the CP3 again and this time took a picture.

I'm leaning towards leaving the fuel system stock for the rest of the warranty and letting DC replace as many of these as they like. Anyone had success writing DC a letter? Where do you send it and who do you address it to?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have been under mine and I think mine is beginning too leak, if it is its very faint. I know they wont warranty mine because of the edge, I dont know if I were too take it off if there is any way too tell. I am going too rebuild it my self or have it rebuilt, I will talk too our cummins ase mechanic next week. I dont see what can bee that hard about changing a few gaskets and o-rings. I dont think the rebuild kits are that much compared too a new pump that they dont want too replace in the first place.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:39 AM

I noticed about 2 months ago mine had a slight leak also,I got a new pump to replace it with,so when the old one comes out Im gonna tear it apart and see if I can get parts to rebuild it and what is causing the leak,I know its not lack of fuel in my case (24psi at idle and never been lower than 18 psi )
Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 AM

If they tell you they are going to put a new CP3 pump on, ask for the part #. If it is R5104877AA, it is a remanned pump, that is what the "R" before the number stands for. That is the part # for a 2003, later models might be different.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 PM

I will ask about the "R".

I'm sure I'd also read about a CP3 number with an "S" in it that meant it was a "new" version, less prone to leak. I can't find that again, so maybe I imagined it? This, like most things in life, is one thing when it's happening to someone else and a totally DIFFERENT matter when it happens to you.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:52 PM
LCH

After I asked him to my tech put a gage on the fuel line and in a few miniutes came back in and said the output from the lift pump was below speck and they replaced the lift pump too, no problem. Glad my tech isn't a jerk like some of these guys you describe. LCH
Old 02-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by LCH
After I asked him to my tech put a gage on the fuel line and in a few miniutes came back in and said the output from the lift pump was below speck and they replaced the lift pump too, no problem. Glad my tech isn't a jerk like some of these guys you describe. LCH
This really makes me wonder... maybe someone who works at a dealer can clarify. The way the service writer talks... with this problem (pump leak) they call a hotline and do what they are told, and replace what they are told to ("allowed to") replace. I hear a lot of "they" won't let us... which I understand to be the hotline policy people.

Can I push them to test this and expect to get anywhere?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 AM

a little info to be passed on...

here is a little info to be passed on by another place.click here
Old 02-27-2006, 05:18 PM

sounds all to familiar...

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable guy when it comes to my truck, and cummins diesels, so when last week i took my truck into my local dealer for a small problem and requested he check for a fuel leak because i could smell fuel from the front of the truck, but couldnt see any leaks.

the dealer replied that they found the leak - between the cp3 and the block, and that it was caused by my isolation module from my western plow, and that they would not warranty it.

How stupid do these dealers think we are?

Long story short went back to selling dealer, all should be straightened out in a couple of days.

what a joke.

2005 3500 quad swb laramie solar yellow 4x4. AFE intake, Edge juice not on the truck currently. Western 9.5 EZV.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underwoodtransp
here is a little info to be passed on by another place.click here
Here we go again! Since the cheerleaders are back that will effectively end any useful dialog. Why bother, the ONE and ONLY answer has already been found. I'm going for popcorn.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:17 PM

no no no. That's not what I was doing. I was just sharing a little info. I'm not trying to start a fight just passing it on.. Don't get p.o.ed at me.

Quick Reply: CP3 saga continues