3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

common rail injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
common rail injectors

I have a friend who has a 03 dodge an he got some bad fuel ? or what ever in his truck and it idles poorly. Will took the truck to a dealer and they would not warrenty the truck, reason being is because of the fuel, some thing about a growth, in the fuel. I have not seen that before , not that it matters.
Any way after a call to a Andy in Dallas, area ,I got some help on what to do. Will has got some Biocide or however it is spelled and drained his tank. Installed a new filter and in some fuel cleaner. However the truck still idles poor after 200 plus miles.
A fellow told Will to add some fuel cleaner to the filer and run the engine a 1700 or 1800 if I have all of that correct. I thought that the pilot part of the injection was below that rpm. Not having any experince on common rail systems it is hard to know for sure.
So is there a link or whatever to as how to remove and install injectors on the common rail system? How to test? Ect. If the injectors need replacing where to buy or just repair. I have read about the F1 injectors and some other injectors. However they wont good injectors to start with and not dirty, only a guess. I am trying to help a friend so any help would be geat.
Thanks Jim
Old 07-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

injectors

[ I may have to do this the hard way and just do a search and read,read, read. I read where a fellow, Superduty, wrote up some great articles and it is a start. If anyone wonts to help that is great, I am not trying to make a cent off this only help a guy out. Jim
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
his injectors are probably ruined, had this happen twice to mine. if it is not hard to start then he might have caught it in time but i doubt it. as far as finding new injestors good luck was told no parts are being released by bosch yet i'm currently looking for a set without going to cummins 375 each. they are not hard to remove, you need to remove the cross tubes then remove one vale arm and take out the 2 bolts and GENTLY pop the injector out. only a shop that deals with injectors can test them good luck
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM

forgot start running a 2 micron fuel filter or it will do it again lost my 2nd set after 23k from install
Old 07-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

injectors

Originally Posted by rich
forgot start running a 2 micron fuel filter or it will do it again lost my 2nd set after 23k from install
. Where do you get the 2 micron filter? Is the filter a add on or just a replacement element?
Sir, thank you for your help, Jim
Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by rich
his injectors are probably ruined, had this happen twice to mine. if it is not hard to start then he might have caught it in time but i doubt it. as far as finding new injestors good luck was told no parts are being released by bosch yet i'm currently looking for a set without going to cummins 375 each. they are not hard to remove, you need to remove the cross tubes then remove one vale arm and take out the 2 bolts and GENTLY pop the injector out. only a shop that deals with injectors can test them good luck
Yep, sad thing is youre better off buying a set of performance injectors...

At around 1k-1200/set....
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

injectors

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Yep, sad thing is youre better off buying a set of performance injectors...

At around 1k-1200/set....
I talked to Will about that and not having ever bought a set other than a set of 215 injectors from Piers that is it.
Without starting a war, let assume that the injectors are trash, dont know for sure. ( Idle quality is poor, but as rpms is raised the engine sound better)
Aftermarket injectors vendors will use dirty injectors or whatever happens to them for a core. Whom to call , or what type to buy. Emd or honed injectors?
I for one wont fuel economy and Will probably does too. So a set of injectors that idle good, make good power( butt meter can feel the difference) and more fuel economy, ect. Any ideas, thanks Jim
Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 PM

got mine from michel at hotroddeisels.com but the days of cheap injectors are gone because bosch will not release parts so if trashed you will have to buy either new or remans if you can find them and they run in the 300.00 range. i put 50 hp on mine and they worked real good never even turned the box on when loaded. the filter would have to be after market they are working on one at hotrod
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

update

For what it is worth, Will took the truck to a shop in Louisville TX that does repairs on injectors, ect. They have the equiment to check the injectors on the truck or cut out the injectors. Not sure, was not there. HE had 4 injectors that were not right. The common answer is a 2 micron filter , from every one. I was told that Bosh did not make enough spare parts , ball and seats, and that is part of the problem. I was also told the Bosh is not warrenty injectors because of the fuel related problems, I dont know if that is correct but I have no reason to doubt the person that told me that information.
I recommend using good clean fuel and keeping the fuel that way. The 2 micron filter is an idea also. Thanks Jim
Old 08-01-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don M is the injector guru
Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

injectors

http://www.industrialinjection.com/m...odge+Injectors. I found this web sight. Dont know a thing about them, but it might be a way for Will to save some money. I am very fond of my hard earned money. Jim
Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM

believe thats where mine came from they dont warranty them at all due to the fact of no 2 micron filter and that i might have gotten hold of some bad fuel. funny i buy at a local exxon and the major truckstops. less then 5 mo old and they only had 22k on them. if 4 of his are bad then excpect to pay a lot more then the 1k