3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P0111 air temp rationality

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code P0111 air temp rationality

The check engine code came up this morning. I searched the sight for information on this. Most of the threads were ones concerned of their boxes. Mine is stock. I have installed ISSPRO gauges, pyro & Transmission temp Saturday. Now 3 days later this came up. I do not believe the installation & engine light are related . Is this like the battery rationally code that comes and goes?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 AM

The check engine light went out before the day was done. Go figure.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxborough
The check engine code came up this morning. I searched the sight for information on this. Most of the threads were ones concerned of their boxes. Mine is stock. I have installed ISSPRO gauges, pyro & Transmission temp Saturday. Now 3 days later this came up. I do not believe the installation & engine light are related . Is this like the battery rationally code that comes and goes?

P0111-INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR RATIONALITY
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
While the engine is running.

Set Condition:
The ECM does not read a change in value from the sensor over time.

Possible Causes
FAILED IAT SENSOR
INTERMITTENT CONDITION

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Diagnostic Test
1. FAILED IAT SENSOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove the temperature sensor and reconnect the wiring to the sensor. Monitor scan tool, while heating the sensor with an external heat source (DO NOT USE OPEN FLAME).

Does the reading from the sensor increase at least 5 degrees F. on the scan tool?

Yes
Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Replace the Intake air temp sensor/MAP sensor.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
Old 04-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the information, you must work on them. I have an appointment with the local dealer Monday morning. He told me that the truck stores the codes and will check it out then. The engine light went out I assume it is ok.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Banned

Some trucks are prone to throw this code more then others I think there is a TSB out there to reflash the ECU to help keep this code from throwing.

The truck checks the Intake Air temp sensor versus the Manifold Air Temp sensor on cold startup and if there is a big enough differential it throws a code.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Foxborough
Thanks for the information, you must work on them. I have an appointment with the local dealer Monday morning. He told me that the truck stores the codes and will check it out then. The engine light went out I assume it is ok.
I am just a street/strip/captain fool that enjoys turning a wrench in my spare time that came across a katrina flooded truck. Easy fix I though at first till I relized I couldn't find the throdle cable (duh). It didn't take me long to read up on what I needed to do, but I have access to some great info.