3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P0088 on new truck stock - help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Code P0088 on new truck stock - help

Hi, my first post to this board and looking for some help. I just purchased a 2005 2500 in May. Only 2700 miles and yesterday when I started it I noticed a strange noise. Sounded like a belt was rubbing. Immediately shut it down and checked. The belt was running about 1/4 in. off the pulley. Tried to start it again, and it started hard, more cranking than usual. But the belt jumped back in place. However, the engine light came on and after checking it shows code P0088. It also now starts hard every time. Two questions: Any ideas what is/has happened? Secondly, there is a cummins shop 2 miles away and the dealership is 33 miles, can I take it to the Cummins place since the code is engine related or due I have to take it to the dealership until the 3/36 is up? The truck is totally stock.

Thanks in advance I appreciate reading the site it was a big factor in trying the dodge/cummins.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:21 PM

Only 2700 miles and yesterday when I started it I noticed a strange noise. Sounded like a belt was rubbing. Immediately shut it down and checked. The belt was running about 1/4 in. off the pulley
Happened to several of us. At least you caught yours before it shredded.

Go here for more info:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=59454

Someone here will be able to tell you what the code means; I don't think the code and the belt issue are related.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer since it's under warranty and I believe you would have to go through a DC dealership first anyway.

P0088 Fuel Rail Pressure Too High which I found HERE

Hope this may help.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:37 AM

I agree - get back to the dealer. In that way, your belt issue will become part of your warranty record, and a new, stock truck should not be throwing fuel pressure codes.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

The belt jumping and code 0088 I beleave are two seperate issues.

The belt jumping or shreading thing is on some trucks.

The code for high fuel pressure is common I beleave on the 05 trucks. I have heard of many having the code and no problems. Mine has had the code since I picked the truck up with only 15 miles on it.

Please keep us posted to what the dealer says, as it will be very interesting for alot of us.

I'll bet alot of guys have the code without even knowing it. To check turn key on but do not start truck then turn key off, then on, then off, then on and leave on, the codes should come up in the mile window.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:51 AM

Does anyone have any idea whether or not high rail pressures would cause hard starting. Sometimes my new 05' doesnt turn over easily but I haven't thrown a code yet for high fuel rail pressure.

Also, I want to thank those who recommended Woodhouse dealership to me awhile back. Great folks and a great deal. I was impressed and overwhelmed by the sheer size of their inventory.

Thanks again !
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Alot of times your truck will have codes without a check engine light. Codes can be set at any time for various reasons. To check for codes do as I described above. Again, codes can be set and stored without a check engine light. If the procedure is done as described above and the miles show instead of a code or blank then the procedure was not done properly and needs to be done again. The window should be blank ---- or show a code before it goes back to the miles drive.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Well, I take it to the service dept. in the morning. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:06 AM

Returned from the dealership with the following news. Two problems, first although when the belt jumped I might have saved it from shredding but it cracked the cam sensor, hence the starting problem. Second, appears to have a bad solenoid in the fuel delivery system thereby causing high rail pressure at least this is what has been explained to me.

Nothing was repaired because they did not have a new cam sensor and I was told there was none in inventory in the area or their part depot in cleveland. Didn't have an idea when they could get one, they would install one if I went through cummins and purchased it though ( how nice). They would order the new solenoid and have it in a couple of days. The tech told me that the belt tensioner seemed to be fine and after talking with DC that they said they have an alignment problem and a new tensioner was not the solution. So they didn't know what to do to prevent it from happening in the future.

That's all I know, I have now parked the truck and will wait to see what happens. I am going to check and see what the cost of the sensor is from cummins.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to comment.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 AM

The tech told me that the belt tensioner seemed to be fine and after talking with DC that they said they have an alignment problem and a new tensioner was not the solution
Welcome to the club. Most of us here that have had our belts shred; a new one was installed, and that was that. In may case, the dealer tech checked tensioner, pullies, and alignment, and said all was OK.

There is very little (actually NO) room for error when installing these belts. They run RIGHT THERE at the edge of the a couple of the pullies. I think that going down the assembly line, after a full day of installing belts, some of them might be installed slightly out of alignment.

Not to jnix myself, but my new belt has been fine for about 8000+ miles now, but I DO check it once a week.

I would ask your dealer to replace the belt, at least.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Popped three codes today on the same baseline as original post. Codes P0088, P0336 and P0335. Inspected the belt and found that it started to work itself off the pullies and wore a section on one side off. Its harder to start now and tends to surge/lack power for brief moments while under normal hiway speeds. I have 28k on the truck and this is the first problem so far. Could the belt shift/fray cause an imbalance to disrupt the cam sensor? And how long has the normal turnaround time been by the dealerships for this type of problem?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:49 PM

I have codes P0050 and C0101 and I can't find them documented anywhere. Anyone know what these codes are?