3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clunky trans while in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunky trans while in traffic

So one thing I really like about my truck is that the transmission has always shifted really nicely. Much better than any of my previous trucks. A couple months ago I began to get the shuttle shift issue. Along with that I started to notice a lot of clunking of the trans while I was sitting in stop and go traffic. It's like I lift my foot off the accelerator and but the trans will still shift into the next gear. Then when I come to a stop it's kind of clunky sometimes when it downshifts. I had to drive this way for a couple days before I could install my new governor solenoid. Since replacing the solenoid the shuttle shifting is totally gone and the trans is back to shifting very nicely EXCEPT when I sit in any kind of stop and go. I'm still under warranty so I'm probably gonna take it in and have the dealer look at it but what do you guys think the issue might be? I did not adjust the bands when I had the pan off because the one servo lever I could reach did not feel like it had any excess play. My truck only has 59,000 miles on it too.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I did a little searching and even found an old thread where guys were describing the same exact symptoms and even I had responded that my 03 truck was doing the same thing. Everyone agreed that it was just drivetrain slop. The way I fixed it back then was to put my gear selector in "2" while I was in traffic. I'll try it again.

Thanks for all the help..... LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM

In case anybody cares, even though nobody responded, I reset my APPS and I haven't heard the clunk since. Maybe that fixed it. I read an old post where someone stated that when you replace your governor pressure solenoid you are supposed to do this. Maybe he was right.....
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm having similar issues right now. I changed the solenoid and transducer and the shift hunt is worse. Also noticed now the clunking when pulling up to a stop sign. I'm going to reset the apps after lunch and see what happens. Mine is a '07 so I'm not sure if the procedure is the same but I'm gonna try it
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I've read these posts before. I've got that foot-off-the-accelerator clunk on my tranny. I can really hear it when I'm braking and come up to make turns, or coasting in the neighborhoods.

I figured since no one really knew what it was I'd just wait until something broke so I know what to fix
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM

The 07s don't have an APPS like the earlier trucks do.

One thing I have found is that coming to a more gradual stop really makes the downshift clunk all but go away. It's just not always feasible to slowly roll to a stop though. Also, if I'm in a 25mph zone then I'll drive with the gear selector in "2". That really seems to help too.
Personally, I think it's either a drivetrain slop or valve body issue. I just ordered a one piece driveshaft and I'm gonna see if that helps any. If not then there's a DTT trans in my future...

My trans worked flawlessly until the governor solenoid went bad and that's when the sloppy shifting in traffic started along with the shuttle shifting. The governor solenoid fixed the shuttle shift but the harsh shifting in traffic came back after it seemed to be fixed too. I have read that these solenoids are often bad right out of the box so maybe you and I both got defective units.