3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Chug-chug-chug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chug-chug-chug?

This is the third time in as many days that I have went to start my truck but not the first start of the day and it starts to chug like I dropped a cylinder? Today it was after driving to work and then the truck sat for 4-5 hours and it started fine and the starts to idle really, really rough. The first time it did it I was told to change the fuel filter and I did next day same thing. The second time I shut it down and restarted it and it was gone. Then today it did it again try the shut down again and after three tries it was still there. Would not go away until I started to drive about 35 mph. What the heck is that?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by TRX24V
This is the third time in as many days that I have went to start my truck but not the first start of the day and it starts to chug like I dropped a cylinder? Today it was after driving to work and then the truck sat for 4-5 hours and it started fine and the starts to idle really, really rough. The first time it did it I was told to change the fuel filter and I did next day same thing. The second time I shut it down and restarted it and it was gone. Then today it did it again try the shut down again and after three tries it was still there. Would not go away until I started to drive about 35 mph. What the heck is that?
Some of the guys at work are having the same issues. They are blaming it on the low sulphur diesel. I never thought about that. When I use MMO mine doesn't do it as bad.

Roy
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by TRX24V
Do you get white smoke with this occurence? My truck did this one time since I've owned it. It cleared up with a short drive and never did it again. It was like an injector was briefly stuck or something.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you unhooked your BD to see if it will do so with the BD off your truck?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM

No white smoke, and yes it did it today I took the BDDL off last night just to see and yep still did it!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 PM

It sounds like your truck needs a trip to the dealer to have it looked at. The sad part is when you installed the BD on your truck you voided your warranty. That is unless you have a great dealer who will over look the BDTD being on your truck.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 PM

I have the Bully Dog Torque Dog module on my truck and have had the same problem. The rough idling and shaking don't seem to go away until I start to drive down the road. I unplugged Bully Dog and it still did it. I'm not sure what to do? Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
It sounds like your truck needs a trip to the dealer to have it looked at. The sad part is when you installed the BD on your truck you voided your warranty. That is unless you have a great dealer who will over look the BDTD being on your truck.
I thought the deal with the downloaders is once you remove there programs they leave no trace?

(...and please not another 'you play - you pay' line)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I thought the deal with the downloaders is once you remove there programs they leave no trace?

(...and please not another 'you play - you pay' line)
If they want to look they can see if the computer reports things out of the normal range or how many times the truck has been on and off, idle time, over all mph etc. Once you reset it back to where it was before you install your box all you do it put back in the old data, that is one way they catch people. Last July Dodge was almost finished working on a program that could do this for them faster, easier and be less time consuming then it is done now.

Also why to you think its Ok to use a down loader or any program on the truck that can cause things to be used beyond what it was designed for and when it breaks ask for or demand that the manufacture pay for it when it does? Would you like it if you made some thing and the people used it beyond what it was designed for and then came back to you when it broke asking you to fix it for free?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM

And he said unto me,
"Also why to you think its Ok to use a down loader or any program on the truck that can cause things to be used beyond what it was designed for and when it breaks ask for or demand that the manufacture pay for it when it does? Would you like it if you made some thing and the people used it beyond what it was designed for and then came back to you when it broke asking you to fix it for free?"

Ahhhh, the voice of reason from above!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by JMA04DODGE
I have the Bully Dog Torque Dog module on my truck and have had the same problem. The rough idling and shaking don't seem to go away until I start to drive down the road. I unplugged Bully Dog and it still did it. I'm not sure what to do? Any ideas?
I got the same problem also no longer have the bd but truck needs to be reflashed I think.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Have you tried running a bottle of power service or another fuel treatment to see if that will help. I had an 06 Mega cab do that to me while driving cross country this winter, could have been the cold, or just some dirty injectors, but within about 10 minutes of adding the treatment all was well. I have not since had a problem.

Just my .02, sounds like it might be cheaper than spending atleast a day without your truck!