3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check engine light on but no code given?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light on but no code given?

Today I went to start my truck after work where it had been sitting for 11 hrs in below zero weather for most of the day. I cycled the grid heaters twice and turned the key to start it, it sounded like it had fired so I let off on the key and it suddenly died. Thinking I had maybe not held the key in the start position quite long enough, I started it again right after it died without cycling the grid heater this time, it fired and idled up right away but the engine light was on. I let it run for a minute or two and shut it off and then started it up again right away to see if the light would go away but it didn't. After driving a 1/2 hr home and a couple other errands where it had been running for approximately 45 mins, I got home and did the key on,off 3x thing to see what the code was but all it said was "--------" for a few seconds then "done", but the light is still on. Just wondering if I should worry about it or just drive it, I did make an appt at the dealer for Friday but am just curious if anyone on here has any idea's. Thanks.

PS. I have been able to retrieve codes on it once before when the light came on, so I would assume I would be able to again unless the dealer did some kind of reprogram or something when it was in for oil changes.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some codes won't display on the dash, if you have access to a code reader or some tuners, you may be able to pull the code. My first guess however would be that it threw a code due to your grid heater is on its way out and it is either not sensing enough current draw from the heater element or the intake air temp is too low for it to be happy. I live up north and it happens often when its cold and not pugged in. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I brought it in yesterday and the dealer said all it needed was a reflash on the intake heater module or something like that. Kind of wierd that this is the second time I had to bring it in for the CEL and it was the grid heater both times. oh well at least it's still under warranty.