3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Changed Batteries Now Electrical is Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Batteries Now Electrical is Crazy

Ok, about a year ago my truck started not starting in the mornings. Dead batteries so I had them changed out while it was in the shop once.

So about 2 weeks ago the same thing started happening so I bought 2 new batteries and put them in and only connected the neg post and put a volt meter between one pos post and lead. It was showing a drain, though I never figured out where it was. I thought I would see if it would last another year.

I didn't connect the pos leads until the next evening and never tested to see if it would start. The next morning, got up to go to work and the brake light was on and the ABS light and the back-up camera wouldn't work hence no back-up lights. I initially thought it was just a code like the engine light so I ran diagnostics and cleared the code. Didn't read past "power failure" on the code since I had replaced the batteries. Got in it at lunch and started it up. Same issue, brake light and ABS lights on, no back-up lights and when I started driving noticed no speedometer either and the heater wasn't working or was stuck in the last mode. I checked the fuses for the above items and all are good. What could possibly have caused this from a simple battery change.

PLEASE HELP - - It's too hot to have heater stuck on high heat/low fan and I drive too fast not to have a speedometer not to mention if my brakes were to really fail I might not know until too late.

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Sounds like your batteries are bad, again. You might have to pull and charge them, then see what happens. Dont leave them just semi connected.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by bogartin
So about 2 weeks ago the same thing started happening so I bought 2 new batteries and put them in and only connected the neg post and put a volt meter between one pos post and lead. It was showing a drain, though I never figured out where it was. I thought I would see if it would last another year.,
So that's how this all started.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM

You have not mentioned WHAT KIND of batteries you installed. Even though you are possible getting recommended relplacements, some work well, others not so much. You need to do a search, there ARE threads that discuss your exact problems, and also the cures to them.

CD
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Well, CD I did spend many hour searching the forums and reading about all kinds of electrical issues and found nothing close so I posted my own question. At any rate I appreciate the help, but problem solved. As simple as I knew it must be since it all started with replacing the batteries and searching for a power drain. I inadvertently put one of the main large fuses into the "spare" space instead of back in spot #2. Feeling a bit stupid about now.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't feel stupid. Your not the only one on this site of folks, (who know about these trucks better than Dodge by the way) here that hasn't zigged when he should have zagged...