3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!

I now have my Cat 2 Micron mounted.. After doing a lot of research and reading of post and asking lots of questions as some of you know. I decide I wanted my remote filter under the hood where it would be safe & out of the weather. I was able to put together a Cat 2-Micron filter system for my truck that has the APPS and the filter is mounted under the hood. After giving it some thought I was able to take some scrap metal and build a mounting bracket that sits over top of the APPS. Now the fuel is running into my stock fuel/water separator canister where there is a PF7977 5-Micron then it runs into the Cat 2-Micron filter. So now I should have nice clean fuel running into my injector pump. Everything worked out great...
Before anybody says anything! I don't have gauges on my truck as of yet. So I added the gauge just for fun to dress it up & also it does give me a way to check fuel pressure if I think I'm having a problem. I know the gauge isn't going to last long being it is a dry gauge but if I decide to leave the gauge in I'll replace with a liquid filled gauge.
Thanks a lot for all of the information that was shared. As always there is a great bunch of guys on here....Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!-a1.jpg   Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!-a4.jpg   Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!-a5.jpg   Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!-a6.jpg  
Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Sweet man! I have been wanting to do something similar but just havent done it. you wouldn't want to make another bracket would you?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Very nice!!! That is a brilliant bracket setup. I have used those filter mounts before for transmission fluid. I am very interested in doing this.

Where do you break into the fuel line? And what are the filter options? It looks like the CAT filter is the way to go.

Is there any issues with the stock fuel pumps pushing fuel through a 2 micron filter? Would it pose too much restriction for a stock setup?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by rbox
Very nice!!! That is a brilliant bracket setup. I have used those filter mounts before for transmission fluid. I am very interested in doing this.

Where do you break into the fuel line? And what are the filter options? It looks like the CAT filter is the way to go.

Is there any issues with the stock fuel pumps pushing fuel through a 2 micron filter? Would it pose too much restriction for a stock setup?
The fuel line between the Fuel Canister & Injector pump which is metal. There is a section joined with a piece of rubber hose. You can make your connections there.
The gauge I have mounted in on the exit side of the filter it's running 7 PSI at idle. From what I have found out as long and you keep a watch on the filters and don't let them plug up you should be ok....
Old 01-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Do you have a source online for the CAT filters?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
MiB

Were do you buy this filter kit?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rbox
Do you have a source online for the CAT filters?
I got mine at the local Caterpillar Dealer here in town...
Old 01-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by MiB
Were do you buy this filter kit?
I made my kit. I bought all of my parts local. Or you can go to Glacier Diesel Power online have kits you can order
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001
Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
MiB

Originally Posted by GaCamper
I made my kit. I bought all of my parts local. Or you can go to Glacier Diesel Power online have kits you can order
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001
Did you go with this kit
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=FF5320-UK
I have to see if they want to ship them to Sweden.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be doing this install with a custom bracket and GDP big line kit later next week. I'll post pics...
Old 01-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work!

MikeyB
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Very nice work. Very clean too. I have too thought about making my own filter mount and adding a 2 micron filter. However, I was concerned with pushing half way gelled fuel through the systems when exposed to sub zero temperatures. I also have the in tank pump so pressures would have to be monitored closely.

Shawn
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Ace
Banned

I don't know about "half way gelled fuel." I think once wax crystals start to form it's game over no matter what filter you are trying to get it through.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Sweet mount. That is probably what I am going to do with my BMK-11 since I already have a GDP 2 micron hanging under the intake.

-Chris
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Thats a sweet install, i'm lookin at doing somethig similar but my FS 2500 oil filter is mounted right there, so i have to get a bit artistic with where i mount it

What did the filter kit and hardware cost you?

Quick Reply: Cat 2-Micron mounted with APPS..It can be done!