3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"Cardboard Winter Fronts"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by juicedcummins
Anybody that has the Mopar Front should keep in mind that it also covers the tranny cooler. In the warmer weather or up to your door handles in snow could be a bad thing. A water temp of 200deg could mean the tranny is @ least that hot or hotter. I would not recommend this front for anybody towing.
I have the mopar front and it is an improvement over the Lund plexiglas inserts. I'm not too concerned about what I cover up in the front. It is a Mopar accessory and I expect it to be designed correctly for the application. If it isn't, I'll be back to the dealer for satisfaction. In the mean time, I'll watch the engine temperature guage. if it gets past 95C, I'll open a few flaps. If I get stuck in knee deep snow, I can pull it off in about 3 minutes (which is quicker than the Lund system). No problem yet, though. On the drive into work, the outside temperature was -31.5C!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 PM

Check out my picture gallery for a poor man's winter front. Works great.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:04 PM

I use the Mopar front end cover. Why? My dealership gave it to me when I bought the truck. Don't know why, but hey I'm not complaining. In my normal commute, I keep all 4 flaps closed. When I plan on going on a long highway trip (not towing), I open all 4 flaps. When towing I remove it, although I got lazy last time I did a long tow (car on trailer) and just left all 4 flaps open. Didn't get above 205 F even on the uphills. Temperatures were around freezing.

I would highly recomend using the Mopar front end cover. It's a good design, and it greatly improves my warm-up time and keeps the temps up when idling.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kayjh
I have the mopar front and it is an improvement over the Lund plexiglas inserts. I'm not too concerned about what I cover up in the front. It is a Mopar accessory and I expect it to be designed correctly for the application. If it isn't, I'll be back to the dealer for satisfaction. In the mean time, I'll watch the engine temperature guage. if it gets past 95C, I'll open a few flaps. If I get stuck in knee deep snow, I can pull it off in about 3 minutes (which is quicker than the Lund system). No problem yet, though. On the drive into work, the outside temperature was -31.5C!
I don't disagree the Mopar part will do more than the Lund piece will. But not everyone needs the Mopar type coldfront. Incidentially, it's very easy to quicken up the already small amount of time the Lund takes to put on and remove. Just shorten the way longer than necessary screws.

And if the temps rise, you can remove 1 or 2 two panels instead of all 4.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the Cloud Rider grill inserts on my Sport Grill. When towing I had to remove the bottom two or the fan would engage.
Now that I have changed to a CSI Stainless Steel Full Grill, I use a piece of cardboard inbetween the radiator and intercooler with an 8" diam hole in it for the fan.

Hopefully it will be coming out in a few weeks...after I get back from my wedding in Mexico.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM

I just cut apart a cardboard box after a 28 pack of Buweiser. Works great.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 PM

Here in WA it rains to much to use cardboard so I take an old plastic floor mat and tie it to one side in front of the radiator and it blocks off about a 1/3 of the air flow. Helps get the temps up quickly and I haven't seen anything as far as overheating in 35 mile trips. This is solo of course.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 AM

I had stainless inserts and didn't like them.. A real pain to put in and take off.. sold those and started using a piece of Cat tarp between the rad and intercooler.. But my truck was still running cold compared to my buddies with 2nd gen trucks.. so I pulled it right before Christmas and I still haven't put it back in.. -30 here some mornings and I haven't noticed a difference between rad covered and rad not covered.. excpet more ompf and better milage which I atribute to all that cold cold air going through the inter cooler..

Scotty.. so Megs got the ring on your... finger.. congrates man..

Blygy
Old 02-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do those of you that have the Mopar winter front think it will fit over/work with the Kilby Condenser guard?