3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Can you turn you Steering Wheel Lock to Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you turn you Steering Wheel Lock to Lock?

I cannot, although I have it leveled and I am new to this truck so I don't know if this is normal.

Also I just got a new steering box and upgraded steering system installed from Dodge last week and it did not help with Lock to Lock. It did help it in every other aspect of it's driving characteristics.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I cannot now, because of my tires... you have 317's? Never heard of those.

If you have 35's (315's), you will rub, unless you have a good offset rim with the level.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
I cannot now, because of my tires... you have 317's? Never heard of those.

If you have 35's (315's), you will rub, unless you have a good offset rim with the level.
315s... I have the stock five spoke Al rims.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 AM

I did check the air pressure because the shop rotated the tires and I had the rear originally at 35 psi, and the front at 40. I found that they did not check and did not adjust the tire pressure, so up until tonight the front was at 35 psi. I will go for a ride tomorrow and see if it helped, they look like they bulge less with that little change in pressure.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM

I could with my 285/70's but can't with my 35's.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM

The shop called me and said that with 60psi in the tires (50psi max tires) and on the smooth concrete floors of the shop, it turns ok, but not as well on the asphalt. Therefore, the truck is OK and ready to pick up. I asked him what they changed, and he said nothing...

I went on a small rant and explained that he needed to get it right before I pick it up. And the tires are only rated for 50psi max!

I also told him that he needs to check the pump line pressure.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Oh, also:"You know, it is a heavy truck." So does that mean that when I put a load in it, or put a cab over camper on it, I will not be able to drive down the road and steer?

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same with my 315's. I never dry steer anyway (drove too many fords in the past) so no issue for me. Dodge steering boxes are a bit weak IMO.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeppe807
The shop called me and said that with 60psi in the tires (50psi max tires) and on the smooth concrete floors of the shop, it turns ok, but not as well on the asphalt. Therefore, the truck is OK and ready to pick up. I asked him what they changed, and he said nothing...

I went on a small rant and explained that he needed to get it right before I pick it up. And the tires are only rated for 50psi max!

I also told him that he needs to check the pump line pressure.
Ummm what tires are you running that are only rated to 50psi max? Any Dodge diesel should be running Load range E tires which have a max rating of 80psi(actual running pressure specified by Dodge might be less).

If you are running a softer tire or over sized tire at a lower than specified pressure then this will cause hard steering.

Personally on my '03 I can't dry steer it. I just get it rolling a little bit and then it turns just fine. Of course I didn't just dump a whole wack of money into the steering system.

Did you get a new pump? That will make the biggest difference other than replacing a steering box that was bypassing.

Also realize that the brake booster system shares a pump with the power steering system. Standing on the brake while trying to steer will have an effect on it as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppe807
Oh, also:"You know, it is a heavy truck." So does that mean that when I put a load in it, or put a cab over camper on it, I will not be able to drive down the road and steer?

Steering resistance while at a stop is WAY more than rolling. Ever driven a small car that didn't come with power steering? My first couple of cars were like that. You quickly learn to get the vehicle rolling before trying to steer.

My '03 won't dry steer at a stop but has no problems at when moving, even with the big toy hauler on it.

To say that it won't steer with a load on it it over stating things a bit.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 AM

I have been calling all my buddies with dodges, and have been chasing guys down with dodges on the street, all to see if they can turn Lock to Lock, all but one could. The one that couldn't had smaller tires on 258s. Even a guy with 37s had less problem then me.

And I know that it is not always necessary to turn without driving forward but there is no reason that it should not! Every one of my older trucks with lifts, and over sized tires could do this with easy, all with factory components. This is the most I have spent on a truck and it will not do it.

I told them they could keep it till it is fixed, I emptied the truck of my things, and told them if they could not fix it, then I don't want it!

It turned better before they put all this on, now it drives better and tighter, but I cannot turn it as far without rolling a little.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Did they do the pump yet?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Did they do the pump yet?
They say it is normal and will not do the pump. They say they are SURE it is not the pump, but for $564.90 they will do it. I told them to check the line pressure, and they said it was a waist of time and they did not have the tool nor would they want to buy the gauge.

I was told from another dodge dealership (shop A), that Lithia (Shop F) is going out of business and that all of their mech (Shop F) are trying to get a at shop A, and that Lithia is not allowing them to do the needed work. --Who knows whats true, but I am not happy with Lithia in Santa Rosa, Ca.!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:18 PM

I can with my truck on at a stop.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:10 PM

If they are seriously going bankrupt I would get your truck back asap before the sheriff comes and locks the gate and seizes the assets. If your truck is on their property when sheriff comes it will get caught up in red tape and be a pain to get back.....

Quick Reply: Can you turn you Steering Wheel Lock to Lock?