3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME MORE ON THIS NEW CUMMINS ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME MORE ON THIS NEW CUMMINS ENGINE

I WOULD LIKE SOME SOLID INFO ON THIS NEW ENGINE,TRUCK AND DRIVE TRAIN GOOD AND BAD PLEASE.IM INTERESTED IN A AUTOMATIC (NO STICK FOR ME)I SEE THEY DONT USE THE NEW 5 SPEED AUTO IN THE DIESEL AND AS FAR AS EXTRA POWER I SEE THEY HAVE A EXHAUST WHAT ABOUT A CHIP OR HAND HELD PROGRAMMER AND AIR BOX? I WOULD BE BUYING A 2 WHEEL DRIVE QUAD CAB 2500 AND ANY INFO ON THE HEMI WOULD ALSO HELP THIS WOULD BE THE BEST INFO SINCE YOU GUYS HAVE THEM ALREADY
THANKS MIKE
Old 05-17-2003, 12:45 PM

Re:CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME MORE ON THIS NEW CUMMINS ENGINE

The cummings thing is a common mistake, it seems like knowledgable folk could point it out and then maybe try and answer the question. As to your question, the auto for the diesel is a 4 speed. Its new so no one really knows what the durability is going to be on it especially with added hp. There are parts available to go to pretty much any hp level you are likely to want. Cant help you much on the hemi, I never intended to buy one and havent done any research on it.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:26 PM

THANK YOU<br>crabman i have a superduty and thinking about selling it for a dodge but dont want to make any mistakes cause this is a big dollar issue
Old 05-17-2003, 01:42 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM<br>SEE GARY WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!!!!!<br>ITS A 6.0 TURBO DIESEL
Old 05-17-2003, 01:51 PM

GARY<br>I HAVE A O2 SUPERDUTY 7.3 HAS LOTS OF POWER NOW WITH A AFE AIRBOX,ATS DUAL 4 INCH SS EXHAUST,80 H-P HAND HELD SUPER CHIP,HIGH PRESSURE CROSS OVER HOSE,EXHAUST PYROMETER AND A SHIFT KIT BUT THE TRUCK IS WAY OVER KILL FOR ME I ONLY TOW 7000 POUNDS OF TRAILER I LIVE IN THE CITY AND ITS A PAIN TO PARK WHEN I NEED TO ITS A SHORT BED CREW CAB SO THE DODGE IS A SMALLER TRUCK IN LENGTH BUT I LIKE EXTRA POWER BUT RELIABLE POWER IS WHAT IM LOOKING FOR
Old 05-17-2003, 02:33 PM

Even die hard Chevy or Ford guys do not bash the reliability of the cummins, that thing has walked the walk both stock and bombed.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (like that WON'T happen : )

But, isn't the '03 the same ole Cummins we are all used to?
Just a new fuel injection system, for Cummins at least?
And, of course, the new body style.

As has been said about the new Ford &quot;6.0&quot;, &quot;It needs a couple of years to work the bugs out&quot;,
well, what about Dodge?
Don't they need a few years to &quot;work the bugs out&quot; as well?
My sincere hope is that the '03's don't have as many problems as the 6.0 has had (doesn't seem to be that many anyway, just talked about more I guess ???) but my gut tells me just give it time.

As far as &quot;turning it up&quot;, there aren't as many options for the '03's as the previous 24 valve years,
due to the newness of the injection system, and the ones available seem to be a bit more pricey per HP gained than previous years.
Factor in the reliability of a &quot;new&quot; injection system.

As far as the automatic transmission goes, plan on getting it tweaked for any extra HP you might add.
The 47RE (on the 1998.5-2002;s) is a fine transmission behind a stock Cummins, if you take care of it.
The 48RE (on the '03's) hasn't been around long enough to say how well it will do.

Once you turn up the power though, it will most likely start slipping and overheating.
You can either get a totally new transmission, or a combination of torque converter, valve body or shift-kit's.
There are a few options to choose from, DTT, ATS, Suncoast to name a few
(I believe they are in the &quot;links&quot; section.
Do a search for any of those 3, you'll find a lot spoken of them.
Tranny discussions don't do well here, as well as other boards.

This is my advice to nycmikie1

If I were going to switch from Ford to Dodge, I'd jump on one of the many recent tradeins.
I've seen a whole lot of 2001's and 2002's show up on Dealers used lots, trade-ins for the '03's.

There are a lot more choices of time proven and less expensive HP addons for these trucks than the 2003's.
Many more injector choices, plug in box choices, air intake systems, heck, even cosmetic addons for these slightly used trucks.

My $.02.

phox
Old 05-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Gary, maybe I can help with this point being a longtime 7.3 Superduty owner. I am replacing my 7.3 with an 04' Dodge because the HO Cummins 3500 4 x 4 48R Short Bed SRW Quad Cab SLT has a higher towing capacity, more torque and HP, larger brakes and wheels, hydroformed chassis rails, better mileage and overall newer ergonomics and creature comforts than my current 7.3 rig. I also believe it will be at least as reliable and durable as the 7.3. The new 6.0 is, well too new for my comfort level in our remote back country. No mistakes or breakdowns tolerated in there. What's a cell phone?

In my opinion, I prefer the Superduty Captains Seats which are more comfortable than Dodge's and the Powerstroke's shift on the fly 4 x 4 has been flawless so far in very tough country. Also, my first impression was the Powerstroke seems smoother with less vibration on the highway but in fairness, I have not taken an HO 1 ton out on the interstate for a few hundred miles.

I use my truck primarily on off road, unmaintained rock ranch mountain roads. Only time will tell if my new truck will be as duarable suspension and drivetrain wise as my old Superduty but our country sure will line it out.