3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

camber and frt axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camber and frt axle leak

ok...so i replaced virtually everything in the front end. Here is a the list:

upgrade to 08 steering, replace u-joints, thuren (coils, bump stops, track bar, end links, radius arms), bilstein shocks (all around), new axle seals (inner ones).

Now my problem is: camber is still off, 2 deg on one side and 1 deg on the other. The shop that did the front end alignment said it's due to the lift, but i don't see how since there is no camber adjustment and your basically just raising the vehicle up higher off the axle. Am i wrong? My other problem is the truck now leaks gear oil. Before it just seeped but now it drips. The shop that did the seals say they put in two new sets from dodge per their instructions...any ideas???
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Axle tube is bent, have seen this happen several times. I had to replace the entire housing. Did you jump truck? possibly run off high curb? Will continue to leak no matter how many seals you replace, axle shaft is not going into seal straight since housing is bent.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bad wheel bearing?also get a second opinion
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM

I never have jumped it, but the previous owner may have...it makes sense that maybe the axle tube is bent though...wonder whats a good way to check it?

Wheel bearings...hummm would that cause the wheels to lean in at the top 1-2 degrees? what is a good way to check that?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by TX_Diesel
ok...so i replaced virtually everything in the front end. Here is a the list:

upgrade to 08 steering, replace u-joints, thuren (coils, bump stops, track bar, end links, radius arms), bilstein shocks (all around), new axle seals (inner ones).

Now my problem is: camber is still off, 2 deg on one side and 1 deg on the other. The shop that did the front end alignment said it's due to the lift, but i don't see how since there is no camber adjustment and your basically just raising the vehicle up higher off the axle. Am i wrong? My other problem is the truck now leaks gear oil. Before it just seeped but now it drips. The shop that did the seals say they put in two new sets from dodge per their instructions...any ideas???
I do not see ball joints on the list. There are ball joints that will fix the camber problem. Could be a bent axle housing, but I do not think that 2 deg off in camber would be a bent housing. Is it -2 deg and -1 deg? Bad wheel bearings will also show up as negative camber.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Opps sorry...i did the ball joints as well, go the dyna trac rebuildable ones. Very price but looked like they are well made.

the problem i have with using the off center type ball joints is, if it came from the factory with normal ball joints why do you need to use the offset ball joints to correct a camber problem. I would think the better solution is to find what is making the camber off.

The tires are angled in at the top, not sure if that is negative or positive...guessing you would call that negative?

I'm leaning towards bad wheel bearings for the camber and maybe a ever so slightly bent axle housing for the leak??

anyone got anymore ideas that we might be missing.

Am i correct in saying that no matter how high you lift your truck, the camber should not be affected on straight axle, since the lift is either leaf springs or coils and all your doing is making the coil longer or the leaf bigger thus not pulling on the tires in like in an independent suspension setup??
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by TX_Diesel
Opps sorry...i did the ball joints as well, go the dyna trac rebuildable ones. Very price but looked like they are well made.

the problem i have with using the off center type ball joints is, if it came from the factory with normal ball joints why do you need to use the offset ball joints to correct a camber problem. I would think the better solution is to find what is making the camber off.

The tires are angled in at the top, not sure if that is negative or positive...guessing you would call that negative?

I'm leaning to wards bad wheel bearings for the camber and maybe a ever so slightly bent axle housing for the leak??

anyone got anymore ideas that we might be missing.

Am i correct in saying that no matter how high you lift your truck, the camber should not be affected on straight axle, since the lift is either leaf springs or coils and all your doing is making the coil longer or the leaf bigger thus not pulling on the tires in like in an independent suspension setup??

On a straight axle you are correct, could jack it to the moon and the camber would be the same.
Top of the tire in is negative camber.
Just cuz it came from the factory with "normal ball joints does not mean it was right. -2 is not that far off. But may be in factory tolerance.
I got a 1990 w250 new in 90. Put in ball joints to fix - camber problem. Plus it dog tracked over 2 inches. Dodge said it was in tolerance and would not fix it. Just FYI.
Put your truck on a flat surface, measure axle tube to floor out outer end, then measure same tube by the pumpkin. Should be the same. If the inner number is lower that would give you -camber.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM

ahh..never thought about it being within spec...good point.

Also, that's a good idea about measureing from a true flat surface. If anything the negative camber makes it handle better right...LOL like a race car!

thanks for the input.