3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

California Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Emissions

I've done a search and have come to the conclusion that California Emissions certification on an '06 is just a sticker that DC paid for (I hope). Am I correct?

I live in Utah and have an opportunity to buy an '06 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 at a great price. It is California certified. I don't want to be buying less hp and torque.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 PM

I found the answer. Yes, they're all the same except for the certification sticker.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you go to the CARB link I have for you, you can look up your pickup, then click on the link to the right of it. You will get a .pdf file of Executive Order A-009-0732. The HP is listed on there.

Somewhere I read the 04s had a listed reduced HP having something to do with CA emissions. For some reason, the new 325/610 is not listed with CARB. So, I can only guestimate there is something different between your 06 and my 05 even though they have the same output.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Since the 04.5 Cummins 600 engine and on, they are all 50 state approved engines with same H.P./Torque rating in CA. Nothing special anymore required for California Dodge Ram CTD.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by XZILR8N
Since the 04.5 Cummins 600 engine and on, they are all 50 state approved engines with same H.P./Torque rating in CA. Nothing special anymore required for California Dodge Ram CTD.
Are you positive about this? I live in California and have found a really good deal on an 06 in Michigan. Before I have any issues I would like too make sure of this.Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM

California certified trucks get a sticker certifying such. There's an order code of YCF, as well as a California Emissions code of NAE on the invoice. I read somewhere that DC pays the CARB for this certification. So, the truck needs to be California-certified and have "California Emissions" on the sticker to be legal in California (as a new truck purchase, that is), even though, evidently, the Cummins are the same everywhere now.

Check out the link ajpulley gave us above.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by doznfire
Are you positive about this? I live in California and have found a really good deal on an 06 in Michigan. Before I have any issues I would like too make sure of this.Thanks
It is my understanding that even if it is the same engine, it would still need to have the California certification or 50 state certification sticker to bring it into the state, unless it has at least 7500 miles on it.

For more info, see How to Register a Non-Resident Vehicle

Michael
Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doznfire
Are you talking about a used one or a new one? If used you can bring in whatever you want. If new you have to pay sales tax in CA.

Wetspirit
Old 07-12-2006, 06:22 PM

I am not worried about sales tax,that is a gimme.It is a new truck.The dealer did some investigating and they were told,turbo,wastegate and exhaust would need to be changed to make it a california legal truck.These guys have jumped through alot of hoops for me trying to close this deal.Soooo what I am trying to say is I am a proud new owner of a 06 mega cab 4x4 6spd. For well below $40000 OTD!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1
It is my understanding that even if it is the same engine, it would still need to have the California certification or 50 state certification sticker to bring it into the state, unless it has at least 7500 miles on it.

For more info, see How to Register a Non-Resident Vehicle

Michael
In reading that link it makes specific reference to 49 State vehicles:

"NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase) unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards. If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (vehicle manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country and do not qualify for one of the exemptions, you cannot register your vehicle and must immediately remove it from this state. You may purchase a One-Trip Permit to do so."

I bought my 04.5 CTD 600 in Colorado and my little white sticker on the valve cover on the far most right hand column says "CARB". I also recall that at the time when the CTD 600 engine model came out it was in all DC's marketing literature that the CTD 600 was a 50 State approved emissions engine.

Now does California have some silly law that says you cannot "import" a new 50 state approved emissions vehicle from another state? I wouldn't think so, but I would'nt bet my $40+k without first getting clarification from a CA DMV representative just to cover all my bases.

I really don't see what issue California would have anyway with bringing in a new cleaner 50 state approved truck SINCE THEY DO NOT EVEN REQUIRE DIESELS TO BE SMOGGED in CA for annual registrations. "IF" there were a CA DMV law saying you must have 7,500 mile on a 50 State approved emissions truck it would seem to smack of CA Dealer protectionism. I highly doubt there is any issue with bringing in a <7,500 mile CTD 600/610 04.5, 05, or 06 from another state. The other option is to just do an extended test drive and make sure it has more than 7,500 miles on the odometer before you sign the paperwork
Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 AM

Seeing how my wife is "going to school" for a couple months in Nevada I believe I will have to register said truck there.I can only imagine it will rack up about 8,000 miles while registered there.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 AM

There shouldn't be a problem because these are 50 state certified trucks. Check with the DMV to be sure.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 AM

Apparently there is no such thing as them ALL being 50 state legal.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM

I know in '05 there were Federal emission trucks out there. I know this because I was trying to get a NV5600 equipped truck instead of a G56, out of Colorado but it had Fed emissions.

Could not bring to Ca

..................Jim

Quick Reply: California Emissions