3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

bypass oil return port on driver side of ISB block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bypass oil return port on driver side of ISB block?

Hello all--

I want to install a "spinner" centrifuge bypass oil filter on my '06 CTD.

Main challenge is that it needs a relatively large diameter gravity drain for the filtered oil to return to the pan.

There is a lot more space for the install, and a lot less heat, on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

So-- I am trying to find a 'frost plug' leading to the crankcase sump or an oil drain gallery on the driver's side of the block or head. There's one underneath the ECM (between ECM and block) but that's too hard to access or make use of.

There is a smaller plug (about 5/8) tilted at an angle near the upper front intake side of the block. Anyone know what that is or where it leads?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Will a STHB (Self Tapping Hollow Bolt) work in you application??? I don't know if it would be too restrictive/narrow diameter for your set up. I went that route with my oil bypass and it's working out great!!! Many folks were warned me about tapping the pan and that I shouldn't do it. I tell you what, that bad boy ain't coming out until someone takes it out!!! Not one leak either from it!! You can get the STHB's from Amsoil.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM

I know there is supposed to be such a port because some use it for the
oil return on a second turbo, but I like you haven't been able to determine
where it is located. I've seen it discussed on TDR. I used the Amsoil swivel
fitting mentioned in the above post for my bypass return.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 PM

still looking for oil return-

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The self-tapping bolt in the pan is likely to be too restrictive for the centrifuge's return flow, and I am hesitant about how it'd hold up to some rugged driving conditions where I live (VT).

As to the other suggestion of the second return port that some use for a turbo, it is towards the block on the passener's side. Good opening, wrong spot, given that I want to hang the spinner on a bracket off of the intake so as to get it away from the heat of the exhaust manifold on the passenger's side. With the fan, belts, etc., there isn't a good path from the intended location of the filter (driver's side) to the "front turbo oil drain port" (on passenger side of block).

The oil has to drain freely by gravity out of the spinner back to the oil sump, so the systems used with other bypass filters won't work.

So... I am still looking for suggestions for an oil return port on the passenger side of the engine.

thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

The STHB I was refering to was the "standard" one that comes with the Amsoil kits. Is there a larger one made???? Maybe Amsoil would know!! Just a thought. I can't imagine that they manufacture those bolts. Maybe you could find out from them who does and contact them!!! It's really not difficult to tap the pan!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 AM

for drivers side oil return. if the line is big enough, you could tap into the crankcase breather drain line. i think that is 1/2"
Old 07-29-2006, 05:20 PM

there is a install diagram on one of the amsoil sites
Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 PM

details on breather drain return?

Thanks for the suggestion about the breather return oil drain option; that sounds promising. Can you give me a bit more description of how to identify the breather return oil drain and where it goes into the block or sump on a 3rd generation? I have worked on a lot of gas vehicles' PCV systems but this is the first diesel I have owned, so I'm new on the details of how these things ventilate their crankcases, and there's no shortage of hoses, big and little, all over this...

thanks all!

Trevor in VT
Old 07-30-2006, 09:33 AM

i took a closer look at my engine's breather drain hose, and i don't think it can work. the line is only about 3/8" od, maybe 7/16" od... too small but the plate mounted to the engine where the drain attaches could be reworked. if you made a new blank plate and put a larger fitting in it, you could make it work, but it will be tight. the ecm is right in front of the drain plate in the engine block. it is at close to the level, maybe a little above where the camshaft sits. another option is to crawl under and see if there is another dipstick port on the front end of the engine