3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

burst intercooler again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation burst intercooler again!!!!

For the second time in a week I burst my intercooler. The first one was last thursday and was replaced by the dealer from another truck on the lot to get me going again. Since then it has always sounded like there was air still leaking. I stopped at a different dealer and had the clamps tightened and still leaking. So on monday morning I called to make an appointment at my dealer again to get it looked at but never made it there. I was in lacrosse wisconsin (200 miles from home) when I popped my second one monday morning. Intercoolers are on (intergolactic) backorder. They are hoping to get one in by the end of the week but from what my dealer said they are still engineering them and have no idea when they will be out. Besides my name is towards the top of the list of 120 intercooler orders in the dc system. My question to you guys is this: Do you agree there is something else wrong? My mechanic, the lacrosse mechanic, and myself all believe that my wastegate is sticking open causing the rushing of air all the time then slamming shut and putting full boost into the system causing my intercooler to pop. I was watching my boost gauge when the last one popped because for a second while I was accelerating it got real quiet, so I glanced at the gauge to see it PEG OUT for a split second then POP. I am more than likely getting a banks intercooler because the dealer ones are nowhere to be found and I can't work without my truck. I would rather spend the $1200. and have it running than wait a week for them to tell me it is still on backorder. What do You guys think??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1200$ because they can't fix it, and then you probably kill your warantee also?? I would make them give you a loaner CTD, even if it's used off the lot (as long as it does what you need).
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was gonna resort to fixing the problem myself, I believe I would do a "Google" search on "Used Car Parts Finder" and call up a few of the used parts finders that are listed. You will be surprised....probably could have a metal one on the way out of an 03 or 04 before the end of the day for less than $200 to your door.

Option 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7989822962
Old 08-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I blew mine about 2 months ago and they replaced it with a metal one, it was on back-order too. I believe I was 48th on the list and they had it fixed in about a week. I have had no problem scense then.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, is anyone blowing these with stock boost? Hate to have it happen that first nasty pass in Co. when I drive out there in Oct....................
Old 08-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by OX1
BTW, is anyone blowing these with stock boost? Hate to have it happen that first nasty pass in Co. when I drive out there in Oct....................
yes there have been a few reports of them being blown with stock fueling/stock boost levels...

gotta love it when the accountants dictate the quality of parts on a vehicle
Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 PM

yes my second stock intercooler was blown on 100% stock mode. I had removed the zxt before I went to the dealer the first time and didn't install it afterward. It is locked in my toolbox in my trailer!! away from prying eyes. also from the sound of it I may end up with dc covering part if not all of my cost on the banks setup. Of course they will not warrant the banks cooler but the banks warranty would if I had any problems. Also asked before I baught if it would void factory warranty and was specifically told it would not!!! because I am not changing the factory specs of the boost/turbo or the actual intake before the turbo (example k&n filter). also A quick update....... I ordered a banks unit at 3:00pm central and it will be picked up in california from banks and delivered directly to the dealership tomorrow morning at 8:30am!!! Hows that for service. Of course it cost a little bit more but another day of no work is worth about $500.00 out of pocket. Much cheaper than the alternitave.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by underwoodtransp
Of course it cost a little bit more but another day of no work is worth about $500.00 out of pocket.
I do the same thing.....always justify the more expensive parts. I would like one of the Banks coolers as well. Did they sell you just the intercooler or did you have to buy their complete kit with high ram and other stuff?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM

If you just want a factory Aluminum one Source Automotive lists a new one for $650
Old 08-02-2005, 06:42 PM

is it just the plastic ones that are blowing up??
my 04.5 has steel sides
Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 AM

yes I got it directly from banks... I am not sure if it comes with the highram or not but the salesman from banks told me that I couldn't run their setup without it (which is a load of crap) so that being said it should be included. The grand total came to $1560.32 shipped next day air. which is about $250.00 extra. It does come with all of the hoses and tubes and clamps and "mounting hardware???" I don't know why you would need mounting hardware it is only two bolts out of the core support and you can reuse them. But whatever it will be there any minute now and as soon as it arrives I will start the 3 hour trek down to get it. and yes it is just the plastic ones that are popping. Don't worry about your steelie!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 PM

I got my banks one in on wed. and have been truckin heavy to make up for lost time ever since. I love the banks system as the huge high-ram makes a huge statement under the hood!! I have noticed a small burp from the turbo since the install though and was wondering if I should be worried or not. Also does anybody need a stock intercooler "redisigned" I should have the factory one in a few days let me know.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:15 PM

You could have hurt your turbo under high boost conditions when the intercooler lets go. Basically what would hurt it would be an overspeed condition due to the system unloading rapidly when it blows open.

The banks system sounds nice. Post some pictures when you get it on.

With the factory metal intercooler on my 04.5 I have seen 58lbs of boost and it is still holding together. I regularly Sledpull with 49lbs of boost all the way down the track.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 PM

Check out the Cool Twist Intercooler at www.citydiesel.net. They say it is tested to 560 psi It is also reasonably priced at $750. I have another thread going about this intercooler but so far no one has replied.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 AM

has a TSB come out for this problem yet...

Quick Reply: burst intercooler again!!!!