3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.

And its gotten real bad.
I checked for exhaust leaks and all is fine. Even with the fan off if I am at a light or in slow traffic, its gets pretty nasty.
Just started this week.
Its not unburned fuel and there are no fuel leaks.

Cough gasp I like the smell of diesel but GAG hurl not this much.

Anyone else have this?

the odor is VERY strong.

:'(
Old 11-07-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Burned Diesel Wreak at slow speed and idling in cab.

I get it too. Not as bad as yours sounds. As a matter of fact I had the hood up today checking to see if injector line was leaking. I have had two customers now complain a line started leaking after installing a box. So now when installing a box I automatically check the lines to make sure there all tight. Both customers said number 6 and it was not very tight.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:20 PM

I might have the same problem. What lines are you checking for leaks? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:47 PM

I get it also; I don't know WHAT the heck it is...

Doesn't seem like there should be that much exhaust!!?

ps-a 'wreak' is what happens after the 'reek' of exhaust causes you to pass out & crash....

Rene
Old 11-07-2003, 05:31 PM

[quote author=shaft link=board=20;threadid=22130;start=0#msg207113 date=1068243641]
I might have the same problem. What lines are you checking for leaks? Thanks.
[/quote]

The injection lines right at the head. They tell me number 6 was not very tight, but the rest were.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:55 PM
cwg

make sure your ac controls are on recirculation mode (far left 2), because if it's pulling fresh air from outside you'll always have a diesel smell.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:18 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

There should not be ANY smell of diesel. Got to be leak somewhere. If there is a leak it should not be entering the cab. So I see two problems. 1) a possible fuel leak and 2) a possible bad seal on the firewall or maybe the seal where it contacts under the hood.
Let us know when the problem(s) are found and rectified.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

As I mentioned in first post...

This is not a raw fuel smell its EXHAUST.

No fuel leaks, injectors lines are all tight.

Does not matter what setting I have my climate controls on.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:05 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Sorry, I missed that it was exhaust. Read your post too fast. I know you said that you checked for leaks but did you try blocking the exhaust and then check it for leaks? Sometimes pressurizing the exhaust will show leaks (and reeks) that are not normally apparant.
If you have a rear slider, are the seals OK? Have you looked from underneath and made sure that all the floor plugs are in place?
Is the reek just as bad if the fan is on high? If it is, then maybe that shows that the smell is coming from ahead of the firewall and that maybe the smell is getting sucked in thru the cowl. Back to what I said earlier about the seal under the hood. What if next time at a light you shut the fan off and see if that makes any difference?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I tightened up the clamp at the turbo, all body plugs are intact and I have had the fan off and full...same smell.

Even if there is a breeze outside if the truck is parked idling, it will smell inside.

Next thing I am checking is the complete turbo and the exhaust manifold. I think the leak might be from the fact that they have not been using a gasket in between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. I will check and see if mine is one of those without the gasket.

I've had the entire interior out while doing the stereo the past few days...theres no spots on the firewall that are visible to me that appear to be an opening to the engine bay. Even the hole I use or passing stuff through gets siliconed.

I do not have a rear slider either.

I'm leaning towards the gasket at the turbo.

I have just over 7,000 KMS on the truck now, maybe that has loosened up just enough to cause a leak.

If I had a George Foreman Grill in the truck, this would not be an issue. Soon there will be.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:15 PM

Do a search for odor in cab or smell. It seems that there's a breather tube that is emmitting the smell. I smelled it on a truck that I test drove.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Thanks, I will try that. And the exhaust gasket on the turbo.

Scottymovingthebreathertubeback

[quote author=RickE link=board=20;threadid=22130;start=0#msg207231 date=1068264956]
Do a search for odor in cab or smell. It seems that there's a breather tube that is emmitting the smell. I smelled it on a truck that I test drove.
[/quote]
Old 11-08-2003, 03:47 PM

I have a smell in my cab also. I don't think it's exhaust. What it is, is an burnt paint type smell. I think it's the clear coat on the exhaust manifold. When I first got the truck it was real bad. Now I have 6000 miles and it's much less, though still there. My first diesel had no smell, a 98 2500 ram. It also rusted up the manifold real quick. This one an 03 2500 HO seems to have some sort of clear coating on the manifold. I believe that is what we are smelling. The clear coat is burning slightly from the heat. You will notice it when you stop and have the heat or air on and it is drawing air from the grill outside the windshield. If you suht the fan off or put it to recirculate you will not notice it. When your moving it blows so much air by the grill that the stink is not noticable. If you try smelling raw fuel or the exhaust you will see it is different. If you open the hood and start the engine you will notice it coming from right around the exhaust manifold, though there are no leaks. I'm hoping if I really load her up towing or something she will burn it good and stop smelling. The only reason I'm optomistic about it going away is it has gottin better as I put miles on. When I first got the truck it was awful.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:01 PM

don't bother with the breather tube, I tried extending it almost to the differential and NO change in the fumes getting into the cab....even tried doubling up on the rubbers seals by the cowling N/G, I guess because the rest of the hood has no gasket.

So, could be sealer or paint on exhaust...or fumes from the oil getting expelled from the top breather ???

All I know after 5K miles the smell is than it was new but still an odor that shouldn't be stinking up the cab.

I'm doing my oil change soon so I will be able to tell if it's oil or not.

Ron W.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Top's Younger Twin

The smell is definately exhaust on my truck.

I wonder if this is occuring enough on these trucks to get a TSB on it or could it be a safety issue?

It sure can get nasty...everyone that has rode in the truck in the past weeks have complained of it.

Sometimes it makes a guys eyes :'(

Quick Reply: Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.