3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Body shop caused extra damage. Does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body shop caused extra damage. Does this make sense?

About a month ago I was hauling some materials in the back of my 06 3500. The materials ended up sliding forward ( won't go into details here) and pushed the bed of the truck into the cab. Of course I was very upset to see my truck in this shape. I called a friend of mine and he recomended a body shop to me. I took my truck down and got an estimate, $1900.00 and 5-7 days. They couldn't fit me in for another 2 weeks. I didn't mind waiting as he came highly recommended and it wasn't so bad that it couldn't be driven. Now my truck has been in the shop since May 14th. I got a call last Thursday from the body shop guy and he wants to let me know that I could come get the truck and drive it as is until the part comes in that they have been waiting for. He then mentioned that the headliner should been in any day. I asked "What's wrong with the headliner?" Then he tells me that when they were replacing the rear panel they pinched a wire that set of the air bag and the head liner got damaged. Apparently the airbag came in right away but there is a shipping issue with the headliner. I told him that I did not want to pick up the truck yet. I then called him back on Friday to see if the part had made it yet and the receptionist told me maybe Tuesday. I'm racking up a rental bill at 50.00 a day and I really really really miss my truck.

Could a pinched wire set off the airbag?
Could it damage my headliner?
Are headliners so hard to get?
Should I miss my truck so much? I really hate rentals!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Hmm i didnt think the air bag wires went all the way to the back of the truck... And i dont think the air bag would even come close to the headliner. I would make the body shop pay for the rental for the extra days your truck is in there because they caused the damage. Im a auto body tech and never seen or heard of that.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

1) Go SEE your truck! He could very well be TELLING you a pinched wire set off the airbag......but NOT telling you the wire was pinched as one of his crew smashed into a parked zamboni!

2) I'm with metalmel....they should assist with addistional rental charges due to their internal issues causing the delay. While it was nice of him to offer your truck back, THAT act, in and of itself, does not release him of liability for the rental.

3) Do not ever take your truck back until it is 100% the way you want it! Again, nice gesture on their part.....but once it leaves THEIR posession they can claim any defect/damage was not there when you took delivery.

Sorry to say it but CYA! They are not YOUR friend....they were recommended by a friend. Hope for the best, but plan, plan, plan for the worst.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM

They should of called you and told you what happened before fixing it.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 PM

did you have the side impact air bags.. I think they come out of the headliner...
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM

I just talked to our airbag guy that does all of ours and said its easier to win the lotto then to pinch some wires and set the bags off. Did you write down the miles on your truck? Maybe they took it out for a joy ride, and crashed it.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 07 has side impact air bags that is why the clothes hooks are on the back of the cab and not above the doors. Not sure when they started adding the side impact airbags or how hard it is to set them off but it seems plausable that when deployed it would tear up the headliner. If he screwed up the headliner and his mistake is the reason for the delay in getting your truck back to you he should have to eat the $50.00 a day rent
Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by metalmellinium
I just talked to our airbag guy that does all of ours and said its easier to win the lotto then to pinch some wires and set the bags off. Did you write down the miles on your truck? Maybe they took it out for a joy ride, and crashed it.
people win the lottery everyday so it does happen.

i owuld just go check it out and see whats going on...

BUT he offered you the truck back... i dont htink they need to pay for the rental.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vegashd
BUT he offered you the truck back... i dont htink they need to pay for the rental.
Wrong answer, sorry. Any SANE person would be INsane to take a vehicle back incomplete. I wouldn't even do it and my body guy and I are very good friends. They offered him his truck back without a headliner, and probably the A-pillar and maybe B-pillar covers.....what else is missing?

From a CUSTOMER SERVICE point of view....the RIGHT thing to do is cover the additional rental expenses incurred due to their failure to provide the truck on time. Now, whether they do, or not....that will be the true indicator of the kind of people running that business.

Back to my body guy...I can tell you with 100% confidence that had he put me in the same place, he would be paying my rental or providing me with a loaner free-of-charge.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:55 PM

Having worked in bodyshops, I know that sometimes its just part of the game that the techs end up damaging something that wasnt damaged while fixing what was damaged, so thats not really the issue, stuff does happen and were all human. The issue is that you got stuck paying longer for a rental. In my opinion, and Ive seen it done, is if the body shop causes damage that will lengthen your rental, then they need to pick up the tab for the extra days. I think that would be the standup thing for the guy to do. And if I were you, I would just leave the truck there until its complete instead of picking it up and then taking it back; thats my thoughts anyway...anyways, good luck hope it comes out lookin like new
Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm not in the body shop business so I had no idea if that was possible. They were replacing the rear panel of the cab and the front panel of the bed. I'm sure there were a handful of other parts in the mix too. I am aware that stuff happens and many times it's by accident so I'm somewhat sympathetic.

Yes I do have the side impact air bags, but I do not know which one was deployed. I can only assume it was one of the side ones for now.

One thing that he made a point to tell me was that these additional expenses were on him. Not like he could have gotten me to pay for them anyways. I had not considered having them pay for the rental before but we'll see what happens. I will be making a trip by there tomorrow so I can get a better look at what is going on.

Unfortunately I did not write down my mileage but I do know it was in the neighborhood of 20, 500 miles. I can only hope they didn't do much running around in it. It better not be dirty either.

I plan to ask that they write up in the final bill that they replaced the air bag so if there is a problem in the future we have some documents on it. Don't know if that will ever be necessary other than my piece of mind.

As much as I really want my truck back I do not plan on taking her back untill she is 100%.

I'm going to do like usual and pray that all comes out well.
I'll let you know what happens after my visit.