3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blown Intercooler Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Intercooler Hose

I blew the turbo to intercooler hose at the clamp - sounded like a 9mm when off in the front end. My roadside inspection showed nothing except my ignorance. So I drove it to the closest dealer - about 30 miles down I-75.
Mechanic was too busy to look but conversation led me to look at the intercooler hose connection. I reconnected the hose and tightened the clamp.
Question, is there anything I can/should do to minimize the damage done by sucking in 30 miles of unfiltered air?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by mcneal
I blew the turbo to intercooler hose at the clamp - sounded like a 9mm when off in the front end. My roadside inspection showed nothing except my ignorance. So I drove it to the closest dealer - about 30 miles down I-75.
Mechanic was too busy to look but conversation led me to look at the intercooler hose connection. I reconnected the hose and tightened the clamp.
Question, is there anything I can/should do to minimize the damage done by sucking in 30 miles of unfiltered air?
Did you lose power after the hose blew off? I thought only 6.0 ferds blew the I/C hoses off. Ferds do it on a non stop basis.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Yes, it lost power - felt like a 4 cylinder Cadillac - it would run at highway speed but not quickly. Scared the P -Jesus out of me - I'm looking for new and better clamps any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mcneal
Yes, it lost power - felt like a 4 cylinder Cadillac - it would run at highway speed but not quickly. Scared the P -Jesus out of me - I'm looking for new and better clamps any suggestions?
You weren't sucking air in, you were actually losing the air that has already gone through the turbo and intercooler, hence the big time power loss. There's nothing wrong with the clamps. Are you certain that the clamp wasn't loose, which is why it blew to begin with?

I'd retighten the clamp and try it again. If it happens again, then I'd investigate a little further.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

I would think if you blew the intercooler hose off you still would be sucking a certain amount of unfiltered air as it is post air filter. Therfore it is not getting the boosted/filtered air but unboosted dirty air, that's why he lost power(no boost). I think that's how it works.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
I would think if you blew the intercooler hose off you still would be sucking a certain amount of unfiltered air as it is post air filter. Therfore it is not getting the boosted/filtered air but unboosted dirty air, that's why he lost power(no boost). I think that's how it works.
He should have been blowing air out of the popped off hose (that's why it blew off to begin with).

It ain't gonna suck in if it's blowing out
Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel
He should have been blowing air out of the popped off hose (that's why it blew off to begin with).

It ain't gonna suck in if it's blowing out
that would be correct!
you are smarter than a 5th grader!
as long as he did not drive down a dusty road during a dust storm he will be fine. refit the hose tighten the clamp check all other clamps and keep on truckin'
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 AM

The real question here is....if an airplane is taking off on a treadmill will it fly?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM

If the hose blew out at the intercooler inlet, unfiltered air was being pulled through the intercooler and into the intake manifold. The motor will pull air through the intercooler with no boost, otherwise it wouldn't have run at all.

The turbo became a big fan under the hood when the inlet tube blew and had no effect on the air intake. If any part of the intake between the filter and intake manifold fails, there will be unfiltered air entering the motor.

With that said, I doubt there will be a problem, unless as stated before, you were driving some gravel roads or in dusty conditions.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it actually depends on the nature of the blow-off.

A completely disconnected IC boot will allow the engine to operate as a normally-aspirated diesel, so it will pull a vacuum on the new opening and draw in unfiltered ambient air.

A partially blown IC boot normally allows the turbo to keep the intake tract pressurized - albeit at only a few psi (gauge) - which is enough to prevent unfiltered air from entering the engine.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Well, it actually depends on the nature of the blow-off.

A completely disconnected IC boot will allow the engine to operate as a normally-aspirated diesel, so it will pull a vacuum on the new opening and draw in unfiltered ambient air.

A partially blown IC boot normally allows the turbo to keep the intake tract pressurized - albeit at only a few psi (gauge) - which is enough to prevent unfiltered air from entering the engine.
That's what I am thinking. I've been running close to 45 psi boost for awhile now, and finally blew an IC hose last night, when a ford provoked me

I can't quite get it to stay on now, been playing with it all day, at about 36 psi it blows again.

Even when it blows, since this is a partial, I can here pressurized air blowing out, but I can only pull 7 psi with the boot partway off.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:55 PM

If I make a suggestion... (From a prior ford owner) One of the reasons they blow off is the added boost we make and the clamp may have not been tight.
To keep this from happening again, take some lacquer thinner, MEK, something that will clean and dry, wipe pff the IC inlet pipe very very good, then wipe off the inside of the hose. Re install dry and re-tighten the clamp.
Having clean dry surfaces mating and the clamp cinched goes miles from this happening again. Now, if you are running 70 lbs... All bets are off
Old 09-21-2008, 03:07 PM
D45

I just replaced all of my trucks hoses with a very nice set from Diesel Distributors:

http://www.dieseldistributorsusa.com...its-p/icb3.htm

For $130 and free shipping, these are great!

Working pressure, or constant pressure is well over 100psi. Burst pressure is over 300psi.

These are made with another full layer of silicone and weave, they are much stouter than the other guys 4 plys.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=216477
Old 09-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bee
If I make a suggestion... (From a prior ford owner) One of the reasons they blow off is the added boost we make and the clamp may have not been tight.
To keep this from happening again, take some lacquer thinner, MEK, something that will clean and dry, wipe pff the IC inlet pipe very very good, then wipe off the inside of the hose. Re install dry and re-tighten the clamp.
Having clean dry surfaces mating and the clamp cinched goes miles from this happening again. Now, if you are running 70 lbs... All bets are off
I'll add to the above, give the inside of the clean dry hose a little spray of hair spray for added traction.

The reason the Ferd's blow off so much is they suck the crankcase air back through the intake and burn it (PCV). All the connections weep oil after a few thousand miles. We on the other hand vent to the atmosphere and only pull air through our intake, so if clean and dry at assembly they should hold fine.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Constant-tension hose clamps will help keep the silicone boots on...

Quick Reply: Blown Intercooler Hose