3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

blk dually: what was wrong with your engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blk dually
dam would have been nice to find a new low k motor instead of fixn this but no one I spoke to could find one, the mechanic who rebuilt it had a hard time getting parts for the 05 Cummins had no short or long blocks availible.

But like I said earlier these forums should be used for helping other guys who need advice and or help in the quest for answers .

Granted your intitled to your opinion positive or negitive but I think people perfer to have a positive ,helping feed back just a thought.

gotta go
as simple as a bit of detective work via ebay. Probably 1/2 days work on the computer and you could save thousands.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Superduty

And, I hate to say it, but real men fix their own engines.

So you are saying anyone who does not fix their own engine is NOT a real man?

This insult is a perfect example of what got you in trouble in your Walbro threads, you just can not control your blatant disrespect for ANYONE who has a different opinion than yourself about ANYTHING.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno the specifics on this situation, but I have to say the real man thing is pretty disrespectful. There's being the kind of person who isn't afraid to express their opinion, but then there's having the judgment to know how to talk to people. Some of both is a good thing; having a lot of the first and little or none of the second often leads to wondering "why are so many people so mad at me, what did I do." I'm particularly experienced in that area-I used to be just the person I describe. I still slip up sometimes, but I've gradually learned how to say what I mean without instantly (and needlessly) pissing people off.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 AM

All, Yep, I know of an 05 motor with 6k miles on it available for $4000. BLK Dually paid nothing for the repairs, DC did. I'm glad they paid $15,000 although to some of you he stole that money out of your warranty fund. I could tear down my engine if I wanted to. No mechanical fear here. I just don't have the time to work as a diesel mechanic because a lot of people count on me to do my job which takes 60 to 100 hours a week to get done when we're busy. My big mechanical problems never seem to occur when I have free time. 9 months of the year I spend most of my time in my truck. When I get a few moments off I like to spend some time with friends and family instead of working on the truck. My truck is a slave to me... I paid for it... I'm not a slave to my truck. ks
Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 PM

Talk about a bunch of thin skins , what do you guys do with all the real men bumper stickers , ram them . The man was asked if he felt bad about the comments that were made about Black dually's truck and he answered , and I for one agree with his view on the subject . His truck was ran to hard to fast with hardly any break in and we were lied to about it being stock . He was not honest with us and deserved a hard time from us and we deserve a apology from him . I' am glad his truck is getting fixed and would hope he learned a lesson in being honest and what not to do to a new engine before a proper break in . Real men don't lie on forums would have been a better response but I really like real men work on their own trucks . A honest reply would have helped others thinking of doing the same thing not make his same mistake . That is why this site is here , to help and if we have a bunch of people putting untrue comments in it , it's quality will go down and that none of us want .
Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't stand it when other people think that they can tell everyone what to think and what to do.

He did what he did....its done...over with.

Truth is none of us was "inside" the motor to see what was happening when it broke, or to see how tight the clearance was when it was built or to say if the engine builder was drunk and forgot to tighten the bolt....at all water under the bridge.

Did the bolt stretch?? Did it snap?? Who knows...who cares.....bottom line is that it broke.

As for him taking the money from our warrranty fund....he paid for his warranty fund.when he bought his truck, I paid for mine, and everyone else paid for theirs.

And if the box was the cause (and as it stands now, the box wasn't) for all those people that deserved warranty coverage from D-C and were denied.......edited by admin

For all those that say...you play you pay..... to D-C....you sell a warranty...you honor it. The dealer heard the word "Mods"...and threw in the towel. Did they even bother to check to find the root cause....heck no. They rather convert it to customer pay, and rack up the bill. They ought to not play games like so many dealers do. Luckily not all dealers are like this, and are will work with you to find out the true cause of the failure. If a mod caused the failure, sure..customer pay the repair.

But to go one step further, its the darn dealer that played was lazy on the job, and played games with him, not D-C. Dodge came through in the end and held up their end of the bargain.

Some people on here are so judgemental and straight up rude.....loosen up... life is way to short
Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure I follow the whole "you ran the engine too early" thing. Does a bolt naturally get stronger with more miles on it? Does the bearing lose enough tolerance and free up just enough to run easier with more miles on it and then magically it can take more power and torque? Not!

I've done all of the work on my truck thus far because I can. That being said I will take it to the local trans guy when I replace the clutch with a Southbend. Why? Because I have the cake to do so and I don't particularly like that part anymore. Too much like work. The other stuff so far has been fun and didn't require too many hours of labor. Does it make me less of a man? No, I don't think so. In fact, there is probably a lot of stuff I can do better than a lot of people. Does it make me more of a man? No. There are a lot of people who can do a lot of things better than me. Does it make me less of a man? No. But to admit they can do better does make me more of a man.

Black Dually should be happy he chose to have a shop do the work and document it properly. Had he done it himself, he wouldn't have had a snowball's chance at getting DC to even look at it. He used an independant unbiased shop which turns out was the smartest thing he could have done in my opinion.

Superduty, I appreciate the work you did on your truck as well as the ambition to do so. Some of your posts have helped me as well. I just wish the personal stuff could get left out of the site. It really doesn't do anyone any good.

If Balck Dually had disclosed the fact that he had a box on his truck in his first post with the engine trouble, the bombing police would have been all over it and he wouldn't have gotten any constructive help. Maybe he could have handled it a bit different but there is always two sides.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:22 PM

How does this work now-------Superduty cannot post any longer because he is banned for voicing his opinion? Is this like a "time-out" for a while or is he permantly "banned"

JIM
Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
He used an independent unbiased shop which turns out was the smartest thing he could have done in my opinion.

Just curious: Do you know for sure the shop was independent and unbiased? Or was it just a shop that was willing to work on a truck with 5000 miles that threw a rod that the dealership said it would not warranty? That fact in itself is a huge red flag as to how the vehicle might have been driven and how it might be driven with a REBUILT engine that is now under a warranty from the independent shop. If, by chance BLK DUALLY decides to abuse the rebuild and it windows the block again within warranty that is a large liability that the independent shop will have. Maybe why he paid 15k for an engine that can be found for 1/3 that amount. They were covering their rears.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:49 PM

I don't spend much time over here, but now i found out i am not a real man. i am sure he said it in the heat of the moment, but **** if it didn't get my blood pressure up. well i have some Airplanes to fix, you know, womens work.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockittboy
i agree abc...not everyone gets treated right by DC. more and more GM is outshining our rigs

How so??? Service, NO WAY, I had the "honor" of being in charge of vehicle maintenance at my company, we owned GM's. I got crapped on evertime I set foot in the dealer. Now they have Dodges!!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Just curious: Do you know for sure the shop was independent and unbiased? Or was it just a shop that was willing to work on a truck with 5000 miles that threw a rod that the dealership said it would not warranty? That fact in itself is a huge red flag as to how the vehicle might have been driven and how it might be driven with a REBUILT engine that is now under a warranty from the independent shop. If, by chance BLK DUALLY decides to abuse the rebuild and it windows the block again within warranty that is a large liability that the independent shop will have. Maybe why he paid 15k for an engine that can be found for 1/3 that amount. They were covering their rears.
I don't know for sure. Just thinking that if they took 15K to do it then they must not be his buddies. I was just assuming.

I removed part of my response because it didn't sound the way I wanted it to. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:30 PM

Unfortunatly the moral of the story still kinda comes down to the fact that if you bomb you better be prepared to have warranty denial.

With 5000k on the truck I wouldn't say the dealer was wrong to deny...true they are bad for not doing a tear down to determine the failure and the deny...but at the same time with a rod sticking out the block it is kinda obvious that it is a major failure. A box makes more power than the truck was designed for which is operating out of the characterisitcs of factory spec which could cause drivetrain warranty denial instantly.

If the dealer denied warranty without proof of a box then that is very bad as they should do a tear down and determine the problem before denying warranty. If a dealer did this without proof of mods then a call to DC should have been in order to find a shop that would investigate. Again if you don't want to chance a warranty denial then don't bomb!

Unfortunately I have been on the dealership side of engine warranty denials...the most recent case was an RSX that came in with a no start. Engine was seized up. Car had an aftermarket intake (cold air style). We questioned it and arranged with the customer that we would do a tear down to inspect and if the failure was related to his aftermarket parts then there would be warranty denial. He was mad but agreed...the whole time stating how can an aftermarket air filter cause an engine to seize. I would have asked the same thing if I had installed the filter as well.

I pulled the oil pan to find that #2 cylinder's piston was in pieces and of course the rod mangled as well as jammed into the block. **** thats weird...how can the piston disentegrate? So far looking like warranty. pulled the head off to get a better assement, what a mess there is all kinds of damage to the head and valves...hummm this is getting weird. No signs of water or anything so we'll still proceed like it is warranty. removed the engine from the car to do a complete tear down to really assess what the cause was....As the head was sitting upside down on my bench with the combustion chamber facing up I noticed a funny light reflection, decided to look at it closer...Why is there a funny hex shaped dent in the head in 2 places? Wow now it is getting really weird. Started to fish through the oil pan even closer...lots of chunks. used a magnet and retrieved anything that was magnetic. This is when I found a funny shaped object that was mushroomed and was roughly the size of a 6x1mm nut. Cleaned it off and it defintily was at one time a 6x1mm nut...what the heck is that from and how did it get in there? It is a not something that should be in there if you are familiar with that motor. Next thing I went back to the car on my hoist and looked in the engine compartment...A bracket that sits right above the throttle body when the engine is installed is missing, oh yeah it is for the factory air filter housing and tubing...and is held on with 2 6mmx1mm nuts. And low and behold the mangled nut looks exactly like the one that would have been there. We sent the nut off to Honda engineering and they came back saying that it was definitly the same nut that would have been used in that location. Now we were definitly looking at warranty denial. Customer was mad as all hell and said there was no way. He contacted the shop that put the air filter system in and they said there was no way. We asked for all his old air filter parts that he had kept and sure enough the bracket had only one nut on it with one missing. Apparently whoever installed the air intake system accidently dropped the nut into the throttle body and didn't notice. Probably did the good old look for a few minutes and then decided that since the nut wasn't going to be reused it wasn't important and continued on.He tried to sue both us and the shop who installed the air filter, we won our case...don't know what happened with the other suit as he had it towed out of our shop to some other shop.

Now after that long story (sorry) I ask....HOW CAN AN AFTERMARKET AIR FILTER CAUSE AN ENGINE TO SEIZE AND WARRANTY DENIAL?

The answer is simple...if the customer had not touched it to begin with and left the factory system in place there would have been no chance of a warranty denial. However we did also go through the process to give him benefit of doubt that it may be a legit failure.

Did blk dually's box cause the problem? Maybe, Maybe not...but without it there would not have been much question of warranty covering it.

Blk dually, I am glad to hear however that DC made it right for you in the end...even if it was an extreme pain in the butt!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
So you are saying anyone who does not fix their own engine is NOT a real man?

This insult is a perfect example of what got you in trouble in your Walbro threads, you just can not control your blatant disrespect for ANYONE who has a different opinion than yourself about ANYTHING.

Real men do tell you who they are and where they are when they want to engage in a business venture. I was approached by him. After asking Superduty where he was and who he was, that was pretty much the end of our emails. Calgary is not too big to figure out who you are. Your conduct behind the scenes answered whether I wanted to pursue anything anyway.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:58 PM

CRXsi Great post, pretty much says it all!

Quick Reply: blk dually: what was wrong with your engine ?