3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

blk dually: what was wrong with your engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't leave us hanging like this. What happened?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

look in his gallery for pics, they are there...... seems an unproductive way of getting more air into the engine if ya ask me
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 PM

I am glad everything turned out ok for you. What was the "official cause" of the motor going kaput?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 AM

check my pix some are now posted, but the out come was incorrectly or faulty rod bolt caused the failure
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for posting your trials and tribulations......This gives us all hope when we need to have something done because of a major mechanical failure.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Guys, There was alot of negative comments towards Blk Dually when this problem occurred. He said he had a box on to try it out but it ran too hot so he took it off. When he posted he said he wasn't using a box and everyone of the "pooh pooh for modding your priceless gift that Dodge has bestowed upon you for the small donation of $40k" crowd put him on a cross and then stoned him. Blk Dually is like most of the guys that post in the 3rd gen performance forum...I think he has been very tolerant and thick skinned considering all the comments. A few people now should step up and say something moderately apologetic. It was Cummins fault. The box was known to be on to the arbitrators and had no fault in the failure. Dodge paid out the work done. The dealer who even refused to do any work on the truck to see what went wrong should be refused the privilege of selling diesel trucks. If it was someone like you or me who didn't have the resources and drive to find the real problem and get it fixed Dodge would have screwed them out of a valid warranty claim. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Thats my opinion. ks
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM

I agree. My ford was denied warranty from a dealership in wisc. when it died on the road. They refused to do the work even if it was paid for out of my pocket. They said we can't be held responsible for it after they fix it. They told me to call a tow truck and have it towed home.... Some 300 miles. I ended up having a local ford shop fix it and they still screwed me over it. I didn't even get vaseline. I got it dry!! So that being said I know what you went through dually and I admire your thick skin. I am still in the process of going back after ford for the repair. I just can't find time or the effort required to bring a civil suit against them. And a lawyer is out of the question. they cost too much!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 PM

i agree abc...not everyone gets treated right by DC. more and more GM is outshining our rigs
Old 02-22-2006, 04:27 PM

abc4yew thanks for the positive feed back ,you can only imagine how much BS I had to deal with if you read the original forum this all started back in Aug 12/2005 and the truck only had 5600 kms on it. this was a long process and you are right I am lucky enough to have the resources to do the inspection and repair. however DC still has my warranty restricted on the engine but I was able to have my drivetrain reinstated .

Hope knowone else has to jump the all the DC hoops
Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 PM

It's amazing that they use the 100,000 power/70,000 mile drive train as a selling point, but fail to point out that if it actually breaks you have to basically show them that you can make a person without legs slam dunk a bowling ball in a whoop that is 30 feet off the ground and over the water. Did I come close? They are hard to deal with and most guys at dodge shops don't know why diesels are so loud, let alone what it takes to make one work. I had one shop in PA (don't live there anymore) that was great, and I really miss it. It really stinks when you have a guy that takes care of his truck more than the dealer would and they still deny you stuff.

Sweet dually man, LOVE IT
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 PM

Come on Superduty I want to hear from the guy who was my biggest critic I see that you've done some mods in your sig and I was wondering why you have foRd with a Cummins in it .
Old 02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Banned

a) you lied to us. You told us your truck was stock when it wasn't and it wasn't until I brought that out that the truth became evident.

b) you shouldn't have been running a box on your truck at 4000 miles. Especially not at 5/5. Engines need to be broken in.

c) $15K for an engine rebuild is silly. You can buy brand new 3rd gen engines for $5-6000 with 5 miles on them and they have injectors, CP3, full long block, flywheel, etc. Pulled from trucks that never made it to the dealer. You could have parted out your old engine and further cut your costs. And yes, Dodge will warranty those engines. And yes, you can verify engine hours and miles on the ECM.

d) you were extremely lucky to get warranty on that. I know exactly what happened. Your rod bearings were tight from being new and you put them under an excessive load. The bearing seized and snapped a rod bolt. Sure you got coverage, but chances are the next 9 out of 10 guys wouldn't. So, on average, my statement that "you play, you pay" still stands. It might be wrong once in a while, but not very often.

Edit: very interesting that it was #6. That journal has all the engine torque going through it. A little twist, a tight bearing, a hot engine and wala trouble.

e) your truck as been red flagged for all further warranty issues. "but I was able to have my drivetrain reinstated". After admitting you ran a box in court, there is no way you will get a stitch of drivetrain coverage. They did that to pacify you at the time. They will deny it as soon as you try to use it.

f) it is evident from your posts you were street racing. I highly despise that.

I'm still not sure why Dodge covered that. I highly doubt the failure was not related to running the box with so few miles on the engine.

So yes, you win. I'm not sure what you gained from it all.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

One more thing: that bolt didn't just snap. It would have stretched first. There must have been other signs that something was going wrong. If you would have been a bit more careful when driving it, you probably could have saved the bottom end from total failure. The repair bill wouldn't have been $15K then. Maybe only a few thousand.

And, I hate to say it, but real men fix their own engines.

And why did I put a Cummins in my Ferd ? Because I wanted to and I can.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 AM

dam would have been nice to find a new low k motor instead of fixn this but no one I spoke to could find one, the mechanic who rebuilt it had a hard time getting parts for the 05 Cummins had no short or long blocks availible.

But like I said earlier these forums should be used for helping other guys who need advice and or help in the quest for answers .

Granted your intitled to your opinion positive or negitive but I think people perfer to have a positive ,helping feed back just a thought.

gotta go
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

If you would have PM'd me, I would have helped you find an engine. I bought one myself, so I know how the process works. I've helped lots of people here. I've never not helped someone.

I'm checking out for a while. Good luck with your new engine.

Quick Reply: blk dually: what was wrong with your engine ?