3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Which Bilsteins for Smoothest, Most Comfortable Ride? 5100 or blue and yellow HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeDiesel61
2003 3500 SRW, stock ride height.

I drive a lot of highway and want it to be at least as smooth and comfortable as it is now with 150,500 miles on it (which really isn't bad for a 1 ton).
This is the application guide from bilstein. It's the first download on the list. http://www.bilsteinus.com/dl.php The 2wd uses the C603 & C605 / front & rear. The 4wd uses the C604 & C614 / front & rear. The "lifted" trucks are at the end of the guide. My guess is that the 4x4 stock height shocks are valved for off road use. I installed my shocks. Good improvement in ride quality on the road. Rear axle is smoother over the small bumps and a big improvement over the large holes and bumps, rear end now tracks with the front end when driving over the larger holes in the road. The yellow / blue shock with the gloss black rear axle and silver cover really stands out. I think the 2wd REAR shocks will be a little smoother ride on the 4wd for highway driving. I do not know if there is a height differance between the 2wd and the 4wd rear end.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigiron
More like the Beemer. Stiff but not really harsh, and with a bit of a load they are SMOOTH! The improvement in handling on rough surface roads more then makes up for the increase in stiffness with the empty truck. I got mine from Geno's and was pleased with the service.

That's what I am looking for!

Thanks all for the help.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe I got a bad set, but I can't stand the blue/yellow ones I put on a few months back. Way too soft, front end bottoms on speed bumps and cattle guards, nose dives during braking. Should have just left the stockers on, 80,000 miles on them and better performance in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM

I got the 5100's when I first got my truck. I had dilusions of adding a leveling kit and wanted to get the 5100 shocks so I wouldn't have to replace them. 1.5 years and 20K miles later I haven't added a leveling kit and I'm looking at replacing my tires with some not too aggressive stock size, smooth ride and good wet traction being my top concerns. The control in the front is better than stock, but the rear is a bit harsh as my truck is empty most of the time. I'm wondering if I would've been happier with the softer ride of the yellow HD shocks in the rear.

My views are kind of skewed when it comes to shocks. I have coilovers on my Bronco and know what a properly valved race shock is capable of. I have considered the possibility of upgrading to some Kings front and rear on the Dodge, but I don't want to start pouring money down that hole.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 AM

I'm wanting a smooth and comfortable ride, so I'm thinking about getting the yellow HD's, C603 & C605.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM

I was in the market for shocks (Bilstein's) a few years ago & decided that I did not want to go thru life with out buying one suspension kit. I opted for the Lorenz Bilstein 5100 System, which, includes new front springs, rear leaf packs, extensions for front sway bar & the silver Bilstein shocks.

My neighborhood has speed bumps, in it, & the front end would bottom out going anything over 10 mph. That was my test. After installing the Lorenz system, I could go over the same speed bumps at 25 mph without bottoming out. You can feel the suspension absorbing the bump. I don't notice any harsher ride, at all, & have an '03 3500 SRW, 4X4.

While in Quartzsite, AZ., with my Duramax buddy who loves the ride of the Chevies & hates the Dodges, we drove down a dirt road heading into town. The roadway took us thru washes & wash board sections. I had not told him of the new suspension. A short while into the ride, he mentioned that "this truck sure rides nicely on these bad roads". This guy is a CPA & notices everything.

I have no regrets buying the Lorenz system. Carli has one, also, & maybe, Core. Personally, I would go with a company that specifcally sells performance suspensions, not just suspension lifts. This system only raised my truck about 1-1/2" to 2". Didn't even notice the lift. I measured before & after.

Hope this helps.

Joe F.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Got the Blue and yellow from Geno's, great shocks, ugly colors.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM

"rides like a caddy"

well, the "rides like a caddy" scares me a bit. I don't know about you, but every caddy I rode in was like a 'wallow-mobile'. Old Doc Rexrode that lived across the street from my family when I was a kid, would get a new Cadillac like every two or three years. I think he traded when the shocks wore out, but those things were like a 'boat'.

Any-hoo, I always got good service from KYB Monomax shocks on my old 96 Dodge Ram. I tried Gabriels on it and they were crap after 5k miles. (actually they were shot before 5k miles, but it was winter and I wasn't changing them in the cold).
The Monomax took the bounce out of the front end on that truck. They were great towing too, no tail wag at all.
They were so good on the Dodge, I put KYB Monomax my old Montero, and got rid of the leaning and nose dive during braking.

Heck, they are good and stiff on my current TJ Jeep after five years.
The MonoMax are red like the stock Dodge shocks but come with Black boots. They are substantial and shine up nice.

I must say that I did buy a set of Bilsteins for my wifes 07 Beetle last fall. They are blue-yellow and enhanced the stability of that car tremendously over the stock crap that came on it. They shine up nice too! Bilstein makes a great product.

I'm just saying you have options. I know I have thrown good money after bad on shock purchases before. I bought some Ranchos once, and they were some real stinkers !
The Edelbrocks I had didn't last long. Did I mention I wasted money on some Gabriels ?

I am much more careful now LOL
Have a good one !
Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 PM

Blue and yellow here. Huge improvement over stock. Not quite a Caddy ride though.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just recently changed my shocks out... at 155k - the stockers had been long over due. The straw that broke my wallet out was when I hit a break in the interstate that was like a mini speed bump... the truck kicked sideways and if it had been someone else driving my truck, they prolly would have totalled it.

I have a leveling kit, so I opted for the 5100s from genos. I wouldnt say the truck is exactly a pleasure to drive yet... But, it does handle that break in the road ALOT better and the pot holes are felt, but not as harsh. The truck is definately smoother on the road, less vibration from the suspension. I cannot wait until I can put a true off road suspension under it with components from Carli, Kore or Thuren!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Shocks are only half of the battle with these trucks. The front springs are too soft and bottom out on just about any mid sized bump and the rear overlaod leaf is way to harsh. 5100's do a good job trying to control things but the mis matched front/rear spring rates are the big downfall.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
Shocks are only half of the battle with these trucks. The front springs are too soft and bottom out on just about any mid sized bump and the rear overlaod leaf is way to harsh. 5100's do a good job trying to control things but the mis matched front/rear spring rates are the big downfall.
So what's the solution?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

I would think that ditching the harsh overload spring in favor of something like the Carli 5 leaf add a pack would smooth out the rear. I'm not sure if it adds any height or not, I'm not looking to lift mine.

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do.../addapack.html
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
I would think that ditching the harsh overload spring in favor of something like the Carli 5 leaf add a pack would smooth out the rear. I'm not sure if it adds any height or not, I'm not looking to lift mine.

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do.../addapack.html
That is what I receommend for the rear although it lifts the trucks approximately 1" in the rear. For the front a taller progressive coil spring like the Carli coils add the needed up travel and better matched spring rate to deal with the weight of the front end. This will lift most trucks 2.5-2.75" in the front.

Here is a link to some more information about the 03-up suspension:
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...ion/index.html
Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 PM

5100's on my 06 and HD's on my 98...now they're two different trucks, but I've noticed the 5100's have a stiffer (but noticeably cleaner and more "high tech" ride) if this makes any sense...hard time describing.
The HD's are a little softer, and "squishy"...
Terrible descriptions, I know, but just my observations...
I had a heck of a time getting the pas front one out to install the HD on my 98. The previous owner must have left the original shock in there, as it wore a groove into the mount on the bottom. He left it so long, the mount bold on the bottom was worn right down... I had to chisel the bolt hole collar aside to get it out...Driver side wasn't much easier with all the brake lines/PS lines in there LOL...
Oh, and Bilsteins instructions are great! If you're german...