3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

BF Goodrich 315s Mud or All Terrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BF Goodrich 315s Mud or All Terrain?

I have a set of the Goodrich 315s All Terrains on H2 rims. They ride well & have given me 50K miles. I don't go muddin' enough to justify needing Mud Terrains, but they look COOL. I guess I must be vain.

Anyway, how will the Mud Terrains do compared to the All Terrains. The noise won't bother me. Mostly concerned about will they last as long, and how will they do in snow & when it's wet.

I'm considering these two tires because of cost - they are about $240 appiece & everything else I'm finding is more than that. One exception is the Cooper SST & it's close to the $240 mark anyway.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 AM

I've had the M/T's on other vehicles...got about 20K miles out of them tops, so with a big heavy Cummins motor, your goin to see like 15-20K, maybe less if you drive with a heavy foot, I'd stick with the A/T's... MUCH better in the snow, rain, and dry pavement.

I'm running 35x12.5x16.5 BFG A/T's... Just got a bit of snow last night, they did very well, not the grippiest I've ever used, but the most predictable for sure. Very linear handling and sliding, never feels like your out of control.

Good Luck,
Matt
Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 AM

We recently switched from BFG MT to the Toyo MT, so far I love the tires. I got a good deal here: http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_O..._P1805C176.cfm

Doug
Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't need the BFG MTs I would stay with the ATs. As stated and you already know the BFG All Terrains are a much better tire for mostly street use. Much better overall ride, will last a lot longer and quieter. I have ran the BFG MTs on other 4x4 trucks, but they spent more time off the road than on it. Cool looks will get old pretty quick on the highway I think. Just my .02.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I have had both BFG ATs and MTs in the past and I went with Pro Comp Extreme ATs on this truck and so far they are great... plus 40k tread waranty..... you get the good looks and the miles out of them too, can't go wrong in my book with the best of both worlds in one.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM

I've had both the AT and MT. I like the MT because it does not pick up as many little rocks and throw them up against the truck. I have not noticed any tire wear difference. Rotating them is the key there. Your results may vary...

I also have Toyo MTs now on the jeep. Cant say they are any better than the BFG MT, or the Good Year MTs that were on it. Just thought I would try them and see if they are worth the hype.

The ATs do have more siping and should be better in wet conditions than the MTs. I have not had a problem with that here in the rainy PNW.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 AM

i'd go with the BFG M/T's.. I have them on my truck now and have barely noticed any wear with 5k miles on them. Yes, they are louder (sounds good to my ears) but they are definitely worth having for any type of off road driving. Also, I had them on in snow and rain and did not notice any problems with them. I have also had 33" BFG A/T's before and they were a good tire too.. basically comes down to looks/noise level for your decision. Can't go wrong with either IMHO
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

cquested had the M/T's on his truck in a 37" and got like 67k miles out of them.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec

Anyway, how will the Mud Terrains do compared to the All Terrains. The noise won't bother me. Mostly concerned about will they last as long, and how will they do in snow & when it's wet.
Use the AT. The MT will suck in the snow on the road. Off road in virgin snow is a different story. The MT has no sipes at all. You may as well put a set of skiis on your truck.

For those that do not agree, look at any company producing a QUALITY modern snow tire. Their web site should explain siping to you.
I say modern because yes, old day snows closely resemble MTs. The problem with that is, in the old days, townships did not plow and salt the crap out of the roads. They would drop some cinders at the intersections and then you were on your own. Now everything is plowed down to a nice slick film about a 1/4 thick so you can slide real good. The nice smooth tread blocks of the MT style tire ski along real nice on that stuff.
There is also a learning curve involved. Science has come a long way since the old snow tires were designed. I mean, they used to start trucks with a hand crank yet I don't hear anyone still hanging on to that idea.

I used to work for Bridgestone/Firestone. I had to explain this 100 times a day to customers............ Got tired of it too...........
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
Use the AT. The MT will suck in the snow on the road. Off road in virgin snow is a different story. The MT has no sipes at all. You may as well put a set of skiis on your truck.

For those that do not agree, look at any company producing a QUALITY modern snow tire. Their web site should explain siping to you.
I say modern because yes, old day snows closely resemble MTs. The problem with that is, in the old days, townships did not plow and salt the crap out of the roads. They would drop some cinders at the intersections and then you were on your own. Now everything is plowed down to a nice slick film about a 1/4 thick so you can slide real good. The nice smooth tread blocks of the MT style tire ski along real nice on that stuff.
There is also a learning curve involved. Science has come a long way since the old snow tires were designed. I mean, they used to start trucks with a hand crank yet I don't hear anyone still hanging on to that idea.

I used to work for Bridgestone/Firestone. I had to explain this 100 times a day to customers............ Got tired of it too...........
Umm...Les Shwab charges about $12/tire to sipe the 295 M/T's. Problem solved AND you get so much better traction off-road and in deep snow.

I guess Firestone doesn't offer that service?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 PM

No............... And I would still take the AT's over the MTs any day.....
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM

i hate my 35x12.50x16.5 load range d's mud terrains have had 2 blow outs with em and my buddy has had one with em dont get em espically if you tow. alythough for a mud tire they dont wear too fast have got bout 20 out of em so far and will last till end of summer