3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Best Turbo for heavy hauling

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Turbo for heavy hauling

Just wondering the opinions you guys have on turbo's for hauling. I have a pulling truck with a 28ft heavy built trailor, with a 4 wheeler and other extras that wiegh in about 16K. Some times I have to travel to the eastern part of Ky over all the big hills or should I say mountains to get to some of the events. I haven't been broke down on the side of the road yet, but my Temp hand doesn't like it. I drove for about 2 hrs last weekend through all of the hills and I pegged the temp hand about 15 times going to the pull and back home. Now my exhaust manifold is cracked, 2 of the exhaust manifold gaskets are basically gone, and I think the turbo or the down pipe has a few pin holes or cracks aswell from the extremly high egt's. I ran the truck mostly on the 90hp tune from my Diabosport Predator Tuner, but after the first few hills Turned it back down to the 40hp tune, and eventually just took it off. Even with the lower setting and completely stock tunes, the temp hand would still peg itself. I am basically looking for a better turbo to help keep the egts down and still spool just as quick as the stocker. I was thinking about a hytech, or an industrial injection, but i was just wondering if there were more out there that would be better. Eventually I will up grade to the ATS or BD manifold, intercooler and CFM+ intake elbow, and posibly water/meth. ANy help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 AM

I run much heavier loads with my predator/puck and never see the temps you are talking about. Was the power OK? No problems towing the load? I've got a 4" exhaust, and intake and can control the EGT's just fine. From checking out a few modified trucks, I've decided on twins from Nathan and never worry about egt's again, but your needs may differ.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have indeed cracked the manifold, and are getting a new turbo, I would just bite the bullet and get both that are mated together. Like ATS for instance. As far as turbos, we are blessed with an abundant variety of them.
I would say something like an SPS 62/12 or 62/13. You should get some practical experience from some folks here that are running different turbos, and then just chat with some of the manufacturers like BD, ATS, Industrial Injection and some others then decide!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 PM

I had thought about a SPS 62/12 at one time, and also an Arora 2000 from ATS, I just need something with a lil more air flow. The power is great right now. I had no problems keeping up my speed at all.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Either one is a good turbo, and there are others. You could always look in the classifieds here for a good deal on a used one even if it isn't exactly what you want.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

There is a sps 62/14 for sale now in classifieds.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 AM

If you are getting an aftermarket manifold the ATS has the BEST port shape inside than any I have seen and I have looked at them all I think. The "short side" curve on the turbo flange is where I an talking about. I guarantee even if another brand has larger ports the ATS will outflow it. I plan to get one and port it when I do mine. Mind you the manifold and their billet flexplate are the only 2 items I even care for from ATS. I don't like their tranny's at all. But good luck to those of you that run them, I just don't care for them compared to others......
Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Turbo choice

Originally Posted by kino_fab
Just wondering the opinions you guys have on turbo's for hauling. I have a pulling truck with a 28ft heavy built trailor, with a 4 wheeler and other extras that wiegh in about 16K. Some times I have to travel to the eastern part of Ky over all the big hills or should I say mountains to get to some of the events. I haven't been broke down on the side of the road yet, but my Temp hand doesn't like it. I drove for about 2 hrs last weekend through all of the hills and I pegged the temp hand about 15 times going to the pull and back home. Now my exhaust manifold is cracked, 2 of the exhaust manifold gaskets are basically gone, and I think the turbo or the down pipe has a few pin holes or cracks aswell from the extremly high egt's. I ran the truck mostly on the 90hp tune from my Diabosport Predator Tuner, but after the first few hills Turned it back down to the 40hp tune, and eventually just took it off. Even with the lower setting and completely stock tunes, the temp hand would still peg itself. I am basically looking for a better turbo to help keep the egts down and still spool just as quick as the stocker. I was thinking about a hytech, or an industrial injection, but i was just wondering if there were more out there that would be better. Eventually I will up grade to the ATS or BD manifold, intercooler and CFM+ intake elbow, and posibly water/meth. ANy help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I presume you are referring to coolant temp and not exhaust gas temp. I'm running the HTT 62/12 and it does just what I want. Add to that the Snow H2O/Meth and it definitely keeps my EGT and coolant temp in check. So far the heaviest I have hauled is about 10K. I stayed out of 6th quite alot traveling from Watertown, NY to Athens, GA with an overloaded car trailer through the mountains there. I would definitely recommend boost and EGT gauges if you are going to be towing like that. Good luck!!

L8r,..........dogger
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure like my A2k! I max at 1225 egt on the 100hp program and 1350 egt on the 160hp program. That's darn good compared to a lot of turbos I've read about. ATS won't say how big the turbine housing is but I compared it to a HX14 I had and the A2k is a lot bigger. And Driveabaility is better than the stocker. Craig
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I ordered an ATS manifold last night through Jims Diesel ($400 and free S/H). As soon as I sell my Drag Car I am getting a HTT 62/12, CFM+, Volant Intake, and a different intercooler as well (not sure which yet), gauges, and possibly water meth if the EGT's do not stay where I want them. Again Thanks Guys!!!!