3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Battery fried, alternator putting out 19volts, dash gauge showing 11volts???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010 | 04:31 PM
Chapter President

I am really hoping there is a ground somewhere or cable is loose. Replacing the ECM is not something I want to do right now since I just replaced the entire A/C system ($1000) and all the injectors ($2200). I am not a happy Dodge/Cummins owner right now.
Old 12-24-2010 | 04:42 PM

Take all grounds off, clean. Clean all ecm plugs.
Does it show any cels with key cycle.
On off 3 times.
Old 01-05-2011 | 05:22 PM

was this problem fixed? my buddys 03 blew the top off a battery today.. he shut it off then it started up again and ran for a few seconds and quit.. so he went and bought a new battery for it and now it wont start.. he said its cranking fine but wont fire.. what should i look for when i go check it out for him? its in the parking lot of a hotel now so hopefully i can get it running..
Old 06-25-2013 | 12:28 PM

The problem... Chrysler!
The solution... buy anything other
Chrysler should have never been given the business of installing a Cummins motor in their junk...
Dodge IS the Harley Davidson of the automobile world.
the old saying goes "if you like wrenching on your bike, then buy a Harley"
and now the same saying can apply to Dodge... if you like working on your truck or car then Dodge is for you" or if you simply like blowing money for someone else to fix it for you!!
Noting is "made in America" anymore people. buy a Toyota and your problems will be solved.
Old 06-26-2013 | 07:40 AM

From: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
"Dodge IS the Harley Davidson of the automobile world.
the old saying goes "if you like wrenching on your bike, then buy a Harley"

Harley Davidson. Buy the best. Ride a mile and walk the rest.
Sure fits for my wifes Jeep and most of the Dodges I've owned in the last 30yrs.
Old 02-19-2014 | 04:03 PM

ok need an update... I am having the same exact problem. blew up a 5 month old battery. connections are clean and tight. I did see some sparks coming from the two little silinoid looking things next to the pass side battery. tighten the connection and still doing it...
Old 02-19-2014 | 04:50 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

those solonoids (actually relays) are for your grid heater and not the source of the issue.

I do not know what the problem is though.
Old 02-19-2014 | 10:07 PM

Find out why it's only affecting one battery. Using a voltmeter, check the voltage at each battery with the engine running. Probe right into the actual battery posts. They should both be exactly the same, if not, there's voltage drop somewhere in the battery cables or connections.
Old 02-20-2014 | 08:04 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Load test the cables & connections via the repair manual procedures. Or parse it down by testing cable resistance from clamp to clamp, on any of the power/charging system wires.

Pull every battery & charging system connection, clean and reinstall. Even if the connection looks clean, pull it.
Old 02-20-2014 | 08:55 PM

Like other have said, these type of overcharging problems are most often caused by dirty and/or loose connections and ALSO crossover cable that is going bad. If you have already checked and cleaned all of the battery termianls and ground connections, then check for corrosion UNDERNEATH the insulation of the crossover cable on each end, about 3 to 4" back from the terminal...this is a fairly common problem to which the solution is replacing the crossover cable with an oem one, or one that you make from #00 gauge wire and milspec terminals.
Old 02-21-2014 | 06:10 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Originally Posted by seafish
Like other have said, these type of overcharging problems are most often caused by dirty and/or loose connections and ALSO crossover cable that is going bad. If you have already checked and cleaned all of the battery termianls and ground connections, then check for corrosion UNDERNEATH the insulation of the crossover cable on each end, about 3 to 4" back from the terminal...this is a fairly common problem to which the solution is replacing the crossover cable with an oem one, or one that you make from #00 gauge wire and milspec terminals.
I see this suggested all the time in battery/charging/starting threads. What is actual method to do accomplish this?
Old 02-21-2014 | 04:58 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Originally Posted by Shorts
I see this suggested all the time in battery/charging/starting threads. What is actual method to do accomplish this?
Look for bulging at the ends usually. If not you can slit the casing with a razor blade and peel it back. If it is clean just put he casing back up and use a good electrical tape to re=seal the slit part.
Old 02-21-2014 | 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Look for bulging at the ends usually. If not you can slit the casing with a razor blade and peel it back. If it is clean just put he casing back up and use a good electrical tape to re=seal the slit part.
In addition to slicing the rubber sheathing on the crossover cable,you can check the continuity or resistance. You can place a meter on both ends with one side disconnected and wiggle the cable. Another method is to check the flexibility of the cable. If the corrosion migrates into the cable, it will cause the corroded portion to become stiff. The stiff cable is typically near the cable ends of course.
Old 02-21-2014 | 06:59 PM

YOU HAVE TO CHANGE BOTH BATTERY'S most likely your alternator/ ECM is seeing the old battery and it will not take a proper charge I see this all the time your ECM is voltage sensitive now its overcharging the one new battery!
Old 02-21-2014 | 10:26 PM

A quick test to condemn or eliminate the batteries would be to swap the batteries from side to side. If the same battery starts to boil, it would indicate that that specific battery could be at fault. If the other battery starts to boil, it would indicate that the wiring to that side needs further investigation.

Quick Reply: Battery fried, alternator putting out 19volts, dash gauge showing 11volts???