3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad Bad Day! Twisted Input Shaft!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twisted input shaft, Help!!

So i was driving about 55mph yesterday and hit a slight bump in the road, enough to unweight the rearend of the truck, didnt feel like anything bad, just floated over it and got a little light in the rearend. Came to a stop and went to put it in second but it would not go, only if i used 2 hands to shove it in. Then i found out that i could only put it in reverse while the truck was off. Thought it was the clutch not completly disengaging. Got home looked up inside the bell housing only to be able to see 1/4 inch of the input shat and it is twisted. Is it true that nobody even offers an aftermarket, or hardended input shaft for the 6spd??

Last edited by commonrailkid04; 01-08-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Changed title
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

WOW! I have done WAY worse to my trans and never anything like that. Must have been a defective one from new. At the drags, I do 4WD launches in 2nd revving and dumping the clutch at close to 500hp.

You didnt put in an aftermarket clutch with a solid hub, did ya?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM

yea and that is the second shaft in that tranny. I purchased the truck from a friend who pulled sometimes and dragged, he launched in 4x4 and broke the shaft shifting to 3rd. So the shaft that i just bent is no more than 8 months old. And supposably you are not suppost to be able to break these shafts thats why they dont offer a billet one. Im so frustrated its unbelevable. I didnt even get to have fun breakin stuff, i was just crusin down the road. I priced the shaft earlier $1,370.00
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM

I did the same with my auto, twice, hitting small bumps in the road at wide open throttle. My shafts didn't twist they snapped. Then i got a billet input shaft and hadnt had a problem so far! I also try not to floor it over bumps.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matego
WOW! I have done WAY worse to my trans and never anything like that. Must have been a defective one from new. At the drags, I do 4WD launches in 2nd revving and dumping the clutch at close to 500hp.

You didnt put in an aftermarket clutch with a solid hub, did ya?
Originally Posted by commonrailkid04
yea and that is the second shaft in that tranny. I purchased the truck from a friend who pulled sometimes and dragged, he launched in 4x4 and broke the shaft shifting to 3rd. So the shaft that i just bent is no more than 8 months old. And supposably you are not suppost to be able to break these shafts thats why they dont offer a billet one. Im so frustrated its unbelevable. I didnt even get to have fun breakin stuff, i was just crusin down the road. I priced the shaft earlier $1,370.00
interesting info about the solid hub clutch.....is this a normal problem with solid hubs???
I was going to get a solid hub DD..but I have never thought of the solid hub causing breakage???? are solid hubs know for this?????
Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by 53 ******
interesting info about the solid hub clutch.....is this a normal problem with solid hubs???
I was going to get a solid hub DD..but I have never thought of the solid hub causing breakage???? are solid hubs know for this?????
I would suspect a solid hub COULD break an input easier than a sprung hub. There is no give at all in the driveline without the springs. It was just a thought since I could not think of any other reason his input would be breaking. Maybe something in his trans is misaligned and causing stress on the input. Usually the transfer case lets go first.