3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Back in the Game Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the Game Need Advice

HEy guys, great news found another Mega and i'm back in the diesel club...

This truck I bought is a in my sig completely stock with 74K miles. Everything works great with the exception of a couple things and I need some advice or some info from someone who's dealt with this.

The first item is the power sterring, it wines and sitting still is a little tough to turn...just the power sterring pump? Common problem? Espensive solution?

Second item is a ticking noise coming from front drivers side wheel. To me it sounds like my 84 chevy 4x4 with auto locking hubs when one of them is partial locked. The solution in the this case is to make sure it's in 2wd and then back up 20 feet or so. Problem is i've tried this on the mega and nothing. I've also shifted in and out of 4wd hi and lo and backed up, etc. So the question is, is the hub bad? Should I switch over to manual hubs? Anyone have any experience with this??

Sorry for the long post just excited about being back and would like to start on the truck right away...

thanks in advance guys and gals.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Come on guys, I know ya'll have an opinion or some experience with this....
Old 12-20-2008, 01:44 PM

Welcome back.

The ticking noise from the front is probably the u-joint. Should be covered under warranty. Does it make more noise if turning?

Just so you know the front hubs spin all the time, there is no hub to unlock , and backing up does no good or bad. Locking hubs are aftermarket, and just a quick search will get names for you, be prepared for sticker shock.

The steering issue could be related to the u-joint not wanting to turn/move.

Fix the clicking first then move to the next issue.

Good luck. Looks like you are into a few different trucks recently.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 PM

LOL...yeah i've got this problem with vehicles.....I want all different kinds!!!

Thanks for the info, that would be great if fixing the U-joint also cured teh PS problem. I got a really good deal on this last one, 73K miles SLT 4x4 mega for $17,500. I'm gonna stick with this one for awhile...
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Yeah, the manual hubs, what you will initailly pay for will save you money over the ong haul. As once you swap over to the mnual hubs, your hubs are not spinning all the time, so you get better fuel economy and less wear and tear on your components.

Everything else mentioned above sounds about spot on.