3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto trans shifting funny...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans shifting funny...

My new Mega has about 1100 miles on it and I have seen this happen twice already I leave from a stop light, a little heavy on the throttle, and the trans won't shift out of first gear! It holds until about 3500 RPM(which is well above the red-line) and then finally shifts if I lift off the pedal a little. Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the fix? I have also noticed that when I am driving at about 35 mph, the trans will hunt back and forth between gears sometimes. Kind of irritating!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:04 PM

Is your engine and transmission warm when this happens? The shifting will happen at a higher RPM when you have not warmed up - I forget the specifics.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 PM

Mine sometimes seems to get stuck in certain gears. I am use to a 6 speed and its taking some time getting use to the auto.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM

Are you getting any codes?
Check there and see what pops up, this may point you in the right direction by seeing the codes.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM

Back to the dealer. Somethings up. My 05' will hold it a bit longer if loaded or heavy on the throttle but won't go above redline. If in tow/haul the shift points will be higher too, but not over redline. It shouldn't never have to hunt for gears unloaded.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:46 AM

Auto Woes!

Sorry to hear what you are going through!! I just go done with about 5 trips to the dealer to fix the 06 Auto Khaki that I had before my 6spd! Mine was doing the same thing. It sounds to me like you are driving in the city and the trans is heating up. When mine done this I had to sit on the side of the road for around 30 minutes to let it cool off !!! I then took it to the dealer to have the Valve Body replaced and they found a small piece of plastic that had broke off from somewhere that was laying in the pan when removed. After everything was replaced I started having problems with the shift indicator not wanting to go into park. So there was a sensor replaced, and it still did it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo the auto is sitting on the Dealer's lot waiting for the next person to deal with its problems. G56 is doing great so far!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobob
I have also noticed that when I am driving at about 35 mph, the trans will hunt back and forth between gears sometimes. Kind of irritating!
Mine does this as well sometimes when I am mildly accelerating thru the gears. Others here have reported the same thing. It does not happen when driving a constant speed. Feels like the TQ locks up in third, unlocks, then shifts to fourth all in about 1 second.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 PM

welcome to dodge there trannys suck!!My next truck will be a dmax -I was in the dealership the other day they have fixed 2 trannys in 3 years. If you ask me I would think thats how they should be. dodge getts 40000 for a truck they could atleast put a tranny in it....
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 PM

trannys are fine, but if your gonna chip it, puts some add ons here there, you know what you wana play you goto pay
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM

I dissagreee trannys are not fine -compared to the other 2500 and 3500 dodge looses.my last two trucks dodge ram 2500 v 10 200,000 miles and 2 tranneys my 1500 before that 85000 miles a tranney. My current dodge 04.5 second tranney 90000 miles no chip.. I do about 20% haulin and towing.They just cant take it .I think its terrible you buy a 40000 truck to do some towing but it wont handel it.Talk to the tranny shops they will tell you the same. you get a few that will hold..... if your lucky
Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 PM

I haven't been to the dealer yet, but the tranny appears to be OK for now. I've heard that the 48RE has been improved over previous trannies and should hold up better than earlier models. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it's got lots of warranty left
Old 09-10-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobob
My new Mega has about 1100 miles on it and I have seen this happen twice already I leave from a stop light, a little heavy on the throttle, and the trans won't shift out of first gear! It holds until about 3500 RPM(which is well above the red-line) and then finally shifts if I lift off the pedal a little. Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the fix? I have also noticed that when I am driving at about 35 mph, the trans will hunt back and forth between gears sometimes. Kind of irritating!
One thing I noticed about Dodge transmissions, is that they are very inconsistent in their shift patterns. Mine rarely shifts the same, sometimes it has very rough shift points, sometimes it's as smooth as a luxury sedan. Sometimes it shudders at light loads and hunts, other times it does not. I did have it in for the TSB on bad mileage and rough shift points. It did help the mileage greatly, but it just changed how and where the rough shift points occur.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by brickenbone
welcome to dodge there trannys suck!!My next truck will be a dmax -I was in the dealership the other day they have fixed 2 trannys in 3 years. If you ask me I would think thats how they should be. dodge getts 40000 for a truck they could atleast put a tranny in it....
If they have only fixed two trannys in three years, mine must have been one of them. It went bang with 2000 miles on her, bone stock. O by the way. That dealership is jankin your chain on this one. (I also wonder how inteligant someone is to believe this story of only two failures). I also have had some friends with some shifting issues with d-max's also. I have had 2 dodges w/ 48re's and so far have had no probs (nock on wood).
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Whats Are You Talkin About!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by brickenbone
I dissagreee trannys are not fine -compared to the other 2500 and 3500 dodge looses.my last two trucks dodge ram 2500 v 10 200,000 miles and 2 tranneys my 1500 before that 85000 miles a tranney. My current dodge 04.5 second tranney 90000 miles no chip.. I do about 20% haulin and towing.They just cant take it .I think its terrible you buy a 40000 truck to do some towing but it wont handel it.Talk to the tranny shops they will tell you the same. you get a few that will hold..... if your lucky
YOU SOUND LIKE A GUY WHO WRECKS TRUCKS WITH MODS . SOMETHING GOES BAD YOU BLAME DODGE. GO TRADE IT !! IF THE D-MAX IS SO GREAT
ALL IN ALL REASON IM GETTING AT YOU ,I NOTICED YOUR OTHER POST
2004.5 4 door long box no kat, S&B intake -Bully Dog Pup
. WHATS UP WITH THAT IT SAY UP HIGHER NO CHIP MMMM!!!!! A BULLY DOG, NO WONDER YOUR TRANNY WILL BE GONE
Old 09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They just cant take it .I think its terrible you buy a 40000 truck to do some towing but it wont handel it.Talk to the tranny shops they will tell you the same.
Quit talking to the Ford/Chevy shops and find an unbiased independent.

The 48RE is by far the least problematic trans of the three. They WILL hold up quite well up to the rated towing weights. BOMB them, over load them, and/or abuse them it will be a different story. Might want to assess YOUR usage and driving habits if the problems continue.

These transmissions do not shift consistently under light throttle or unloaded. Load them down and they work fine. Part of the programming for heavy duty use. Holding a shift until redline or more indicates there may be a problem with a solenoid. If it does it consistently take it back and bug the dealer until they make it right.

Quick Reply: Auto trans shifting funny...