3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

auto trans and sea beeze (junk/tarnish clean)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto trans and sea foam (junk/tarnish cleaner)

ok - little background first:

if you had a 48RE with 35,000 miles on it (put in a temp probe the test port - which I am to relocate) and had 4+ quarts of ATF slowly leak out due to loose threads on test port fiittings ...

Did some highway driving and only had issues around tight corners and when off highway and on very steep hills - ie: had issues shifting into some gears, ( line pressure ??).... Finally took a look at fliud level, put in 4+ quarts, drives fine now.. Low level being San Antonio to Dallas and back and some city driving ..... Finally changed fluid/filter down the road - 5,000 miles later due to actually forgeting to do complete change out when returning from trip with low fld... Then Changed to schaeffers syn blend ATF 9 quarts (pan and return line drop)...

** now 500 miles on schaeffers and was going to do complete "manual" return line change out with schaeffers.............. BUT since have thought of going to AMSOIL in the trans "only" because total syn and not a blend... and the fact that the ATF-4 is a total syn ATF...

** here is where the tarnish/gunk cleaner comes in - before doing the complete fld change out to get the last of the old stuff out should I do the sea foam stuff / AMSOIL trans cleaner and then change out the fld...

ps: during driving with low ATF the temp probe never really went above 180 F....
Old 06-10-2006, 09:14 PM

bump bump - any input
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not knowing, sorry, but it is a question that I would like the answer to also.

I change my fluid and filter every 20k miles and the next change is coming up.

Rick
Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 PM

You had the probe in the test port? All that did was measure the temp of your tranny case. Before I to had the the probe in the drive test port and temps didn't even come close to what I see in the hot outline. Since you already dropped the pan and changed filter, did ya see varnish? Wouldn't mess with snake oil cleaners and 48re clutch packs. Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 AM

I was not the one to drop the pan - I was at a local racer's home that had a real lift... I was there - but at the time did not think of really looking close... he did not say anything - but then again I have since decided not to use him again... He did comment on the color and I did see a lot of of some junk in the filter before it went into the trash can - but I still was not looking closely...

This is one reason I am going to do it again - but this time myself.. I don't mind spending the money on ATF again and this time I am to do a complete "manaul" flush by the return line..

I had my probe in the test port because that is where several stated it should be.. Even tim holt stated it read 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive.. but he stated the only real place is the return line.. which is where I am to put it...
Old 06-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

My personal feelings is I would not use anything in the transmission for flushing except ATF+4, it already has plenty of solvents in it.

The correct place to put the sending unit is in the out line from the transmission to the heat exchange cooler. The heat exchange cooler is located on passenger side by turbo. With the probe in this position it will read the fluid temps coming out of the transmission which will give you a good indication of what is going on in your transmission.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with bluebull. Use ATF+4 and nothing else.

I pulled up the MSDS on Sea Foam. Contains Pale Oil (refridgerant oil), Naphtha and rubbing alchohol.

MikeyB
Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 AM

thanks - I was just going to do that... I think putting in new ATF and then running it for a short time and then doing a complete as possible change out should do something for cleaning the trans up.. after all soaking tools in old ATF over night cleans them up...

The only thing (not from a warrenty standpoint) is I am running schaeffers syn blend (no doubt good oil) but not true syn.. I may change to AMSOIL.. are maybe just use the MOPAR ATF-4 and change out "drain" everyone 12 - 15000 miles - the 4/5 quarts... which is what DTT trans people say to do...

Also - as with the MOPAR diesel oil - I would not be surprised if the ATF is Valvoline stuff.. They are the first to get the ATF-4 certified and do work with Dodge on stuff.. HMMMMMMMMMMMM..
Old 06-11-2006, 09:58 AM

pale oil 50 - 60% hmmm

http://www.noco.com/NOCO-DATA/Noco_Pale_Oils.htm

excellent balance of properties for rubber compounding
ideal for processing polymers with low unsaturates
resin extending, secondary plasticizer for PVC
textile and caulking compounding formulations
Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

From what I have read the mopar ATF+4 is not a true synthetic, Amsoil and Redline are. Not that the oil itself has a cleaning effect (the additives do that) the true synthetic is a better oil.