3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto Trans Fluid/Diff Fluid Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans Fluid/Diff Fluid Intervals

I'm **** tired of getting the run around from mechanics....I'm trying to learn all I can but wish I had more knowledge.

what do all you folks do in terms of your transmission fluid and diff fluid.

I'm at about 40,000 (bought truck at 20,000 and it looked to be fine then, not sure if it had ever been changed) and my trans fluid is looking a little brown so i had it changed, the pan dropped out and the filter changed as well. the guy said flushing it (a la jiffy lube) is no good. he also said that you need to use the mopar ATS 4 synthetic (something like that) and that the dextron 3 (sp?) is crappy and will for sure destroy my tranny

I tow a 7,500lb trailer roughly 1/2 my driving time.

for diff fluid do you use synthetic...he recommended redline. he also said to do the front and rear diffs at the same time. I'm hestant to do the front b'c I've got a diff gaurd and steering stablizers...don't want to take all that off then put it back on. and if I change the rear diff I'm thinking of getting a mag-hytec cover...just cause they look great and sound as if they are beneficial.

so much money out the door...and i don't even have a full tank of gas after all that!

thanks for the help...hopefully I will be armed with some knowledge now.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is all stuff you can do yourself. Even I do this with confidence and I am no wrench monkey by any means.

On the tranny, just drop the pan and drain all you can. Change the filter and replace the fluid with Mopar ATF +4. Personally, I do it around every 15k but that may be overkill. I added a Mag-Hytec Double Deep tranny pan which holds 4 quarts of fluid over stock. They include a drain plug which will make the next drain and fill much easier. Also includes a port for a sending unit for a transmission temperature gauge. You can get the Trans fluid and trans filters at the dealer. You might save a few dollars somewhere else, but those items are the only thing I consistently buy from the dealership.

On the Diffs, they are even easier. Just loosen the bolts and let the fluid drain into a pan. Remove the covers. Spray around in the gear housing with brake parts cleaner. It will remove alot of residue and dry quickly and naturally. Wipe it clean. Spray some more if you want. Replace the cover and refill with any Synthetic GL-5 rated gear oil. Personally, I use Mobil 1 75W90 bought at Ghettozone. Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Valvoline im sure are all good. Just make sure it is GL-5 rated and don't add any additives to it. You can reuse your original rubber gaskets over and over if you keeping your stock pan covers. The MH pans have a built in O-ring.

I also added a rear Mag-Hytec pan and I like it alot. It provides some extra cooling just due to extra capacity and looks kinda cool. I have been changing out my diff fluids around 15K also, but that is probably a bit much.

If I were you, I would change them all out just to be sure and know they are good to go. The original fluid in my diffs from the factory looked pretty yucky. Since then, they have been sparkling clean.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 AM

Can someone refresh my memory on the exact amount of fluid needed for the rear and front diffs stock? I really need to get this done this weekend.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You did no say what year of truck you have but you must use AFT +4 in the newer trannys. Some of the older trans use Dextron 3. If you use Dextron 3 in a newer trans you will burn it up.

You can use Mopar, Amsoil or any other fluid as long as it meets the AFT +4 Spec's. I think Dodge calls for the trans fluid to be changed out at 30,000 miles and some people say less.

As for the diff's I thought I read to change it every 25-30,000 miles. If you still have the owners manual check to see what it has listed for interval changes and go from there.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by icrider
I'm **** tired of getting the run around from mechanics....I'm trying to learn all I can but wish I had more knowledge.

what do all you folks do in terms of your transmission fluid and diff fluid.

I'm at about 40,000 (bought truck at 20,000 and it looked to be fine then, not sure if it had ever been changed) and my trans fluid is looking a little brown so i had it changed, the pan dropped out and the filter changed as well. the guy said flushing it (a la jiffy lube) is no good. he also said that you need to use the mopar ATS 4 synthetic (something like that) and that the dextron 3 (sp?) is crappy and will for sure destroy my tranny

I tow a 7,500lb trailer roughly 1/2 my driving time.

for diff fluid do you use synthetic...he recommended redline. he also said to do the front and rear diffs at the same time. I'm hestant to do the front b'c I've got a diff gaurd and steering stablizers...don't want to take all that off then put it back on. and if I change the rear diff I'm thinking of getting a mag-hytec cover...just cause they look great and sound as if they are beneficial.

so much money out the door...and i don't even have a full tank of gas after all that!

thanks for the help...hopefully I will be armed with some knowledge now.

Run Mag-Hytec Diff & trany Covers ,The Best, Also makes changing Fluids VERY Easy ! Lowers your temps

Col.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=TexasCTD;1144300]This is all stuff you can do yourself. Even I do this with confidence and I am no wrench monkey by any means.
QUOTE]

That would be Grease Monkey, Knuckle Buster, Gear Head, Beer Monkey, Oil Filter Gorilla, Socket Jockey, Rent-A-Tech or even Service Writer (couldn't pass the Bar exam)

Monkey Wrench is a tool, kind of like your friendly neighborhood Service Manager
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM

texas ctd...thanks for the ideas and all the info. it seems to me that the mag hytec stuff makes maintenance a lot easier if you plan on doing it yourself.

when you change your diff fluids do you do the front and rear at the same time?

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM

These trucks come with MOPAR synthetic fluid in the meatballs.

If you use Schedule B for maintenance, you change the rear diff fluid
every 15k miles. I use to change the rear end, frt end, transfer case, tranny fluid at the same time. Used Amsoil gear oils in the meatballs, Amsoil ATF in transfer case and Redline MTL in the 6 spd tranny.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
texas ctd...thanks for the ideas and all the info. it seems to me that the mag hytec stuff makes maintenance a lot easier if you plan on doing it yourself.

when you change your diff fluids do you do the front and rear at the same time?

Glad to help any way I can. Yes, I always change them both out at the same time, along with transfer case and tranny fluid/filter.

Here is the MH rear diff cover on mine.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

Seeing that you drive a "CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL", I would hope you don't a full tank of gas!! JFYI, I have Amsoil in my diffs, tranny and transfer case!!