3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Arrg...it goes in the shop and it comes out with something else wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrg...it goes in the shop and it comes out with something else wrong...

So I have had repetitive problems with my clutch release bearing. It used to grind whenever I was on the clutch at all. They repeatedly dropped my tranny out to fix this problem 3 times so far. Now as a kicker the last time they did it the clutch got a really bad sound in it about 600miles out of the shop. I go back and they say that the clutch and flywheel are wrecked, and that it is my fault. I ask them that if it was that bad when they had it out 600 miles ago why did no one notice it or mention anything? After some fighting they replace it for free. A really good dealership all in all.

Now I get my truck back and the batteries are both dead. They jump them, but when I get home it dies again and have to charge it myself for it to hold a charge long enough to not be afraid to drive anywhere substantial. Now, today I go for a quick rip down to the store and my power steering is shot. The wheel will not turn back to center unless I make it and I can not turn the wheels at all at a standstill. The power steering fluid is full and I can see no leaks anywhere. Has anyone else had these problems before, specifically the power steering just disappearing all together?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I would find me a new dealer. Sounds like they fix one problem but create 10 more when they do the repairs. You might want to see what quality of diesel mechanic they have on staff as it sounds like their mechanic is still in training from your results.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Roughneckin
and I can not turn the wheels at all at a standstill.
By at all do you mean "at all". You should be able to turn them but its really hard.
Geeez! If it was an older vehicle with belts I would say your batteries running down and your PS acting up were related but with the single S-belt it cant be. Hopefully somebody will have an idea on your PS. Never heard of one going out without a sound or leak.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 PM

unfortunately it seems like the techs at many dealerships are either under qualified or just don't care. i've had my own dealership fun lately caused by negligence, and a buddy had his CTD at the dealership for nearly a week, while they poked around his truck unable to find the problem with his truck. finally he convinced them to check what he asked them to in the first place, and found that he had 3 bad injectors (doesn't make you feel too confident when the vehicle owner knows more than the tech). at one time the diesel techs at my dealer were guys in their 30's-40's with CTD's of their own who new lots about them, but now most of them are in their early 20's, have never owned a diesel truck, and seem to be trying to relate their limited knowledge of gas vehicles to diesel trucks.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my front axle u-joints went, the PS acted similar but the truck jerked like in 4WD when turning at slow speed. Couldn't hurt to check them. Mine showed obvious rust dust at the joints.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM

I had the same thing, my steering wheel would not return back to center. Replaced the powersteering pump thinking it would fix it but no luck. Turns out the steering box was shot. A new one fixed the problem for me, and made my wallet lighter.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I had a truck last week with steering problem. Would turn to the left but not right. Turned out to be steering box bad.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Well they took my truck into the dealership again. They are going to look over it once more, feel like I should set up a tent for how often I am there. They said that they didn't go near anything that should have done this, but I am pretty sure when I drop a truck off and it is working fine and the day I get it back it runs like crap they must have done something to it. Thankfully I am still under warrenty and the service manager knows me pretty well now!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Well the dealership found that two of the ball joints had seized solid when it was sitting for the last little bit. So now they are changing the steering arms, ball joints and the torsion bars because it has buggered them all up. On the plus side my extended warranty has paid off exponentially now and I only has to pay for an alignment.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

torsion bars? not on your truck......
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 PM

Sorry, got screwed up meant tie rods