3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

arb air locker

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arb air locker

Has anyone put an arb air locker in the front axle in the 3rd gen trucks yet? Any probs with install? Looking at putting one in my 07.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM

No one you know has one? ANyone
Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't have one on my truck, but I do have one on the front axle of my jeep (Dana 60) and know TONS of guys that run them in jeeps without any problems. I carry some spare line/fittings in case I bust a line, but that's in my jeep that sees pretty crazy terrain that routinely beats the crap out of the underside of the jeep.

It's a reputable product and handy to have, especially in the front axle so you don't run into steering bind offroad like a non-selectable locker can cause.

On my jeep, I also replaced the ARB electric switch with a pneumatic switch. This add's more airline, but gets rid of some more electronics that could potentially fail (again this is in the jeep that sees tons of water, dust, mud, etc....). In a truck like ours, I don't think you'd ever have to worry about anything at all.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Chapter President

there are def people on here how have them keep looking
Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an ARB in the dana 60 in the front of my jeep. Works great on trails like JV, fordyce, and the con, and really deep snow packs. There are live o-ring seals to keep the air in the locker. Early versions about 10+ years ago failed frequently, but they have it pretty well dialed in now. It is a reliable product, if you engineer your own air system, or tap off of the ARB system for other things be careful, you dont want to run the locker with low pressure, either on or off only, otherwise you can get it partially engaged and break teeth.

I run my ARB on a sepreate tank that is check valved off of the main tank because my main tank runs springs on all 4 corners.

Make sure whoever installs it knows what they are doing, the copper air line must be properly routed, or else it can rub on the carrier or ring gear. Be careful that the cover doesnt push the line into the carrier when the cover is bolted on.

I have detroit lockers in the back of the jeep and my 92 street truck.

I like having a rear locker in street trucks, it makes a hell of a differance with light off road, snow and ranch type work. Our cummins trucks are really light on the back, and the locker eliminates the single legger effect in slippery conditions.

I would never take a 3rd gen anywhere that a front locker would be prudent. That is an expensive rig to be beating. i would say you dont need a font locker until after you have 35" or greater tiers, plus a significant lift and removed the sway bars. Even then i would be careful, a front locker is a recipe for broken knuckle joints.

A good rule of thumb that i live by is unless you are running an upsized axle per the weight of the rig, only engage the front locker when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel

I would never take a 3rd gen anywhere that a front locker would be prudent. That is an expensive rig to be beating. i would say you dont need a font locker until after you have 35" or greater tiers, plus a significant lift and removed the sway bars. Even then i would be careful, a front locker is a recipe for broken knuckle joints.
I drove mine to gate keeper
When the rig was broken, I figure the dodge could go pretty far I was wrong.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM

Bad idea to put it in the front (heavy engine+tons of torque=broken u-joints). It is however a great idea to put it in the rear, it will be way more fun to drive(have you ever seen a CTD drift??), just as capable offroad + it will be alot harder to hurt that 11" axle with its almost 1.25"OD full floater shafts.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Do you have a limited slip rear, why put a locker in the rear? You'll perform much better offroad with a front locker... Especially since all of the truck's weight is in the front. Personally, I think the truck is way too heavy for serious offroading. But, if you're just gonna run sand or mud, A front locker will make a huge improvement. I'm kinda partial to Detroit lockers. (I've been running them for years in my jeeps) I wouldn't want a detroit in the front on an icy road though...
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM

On my 02 I had the factory limited slip with a dana 80 and it was junk. Living in alaska seems it drives on snow more than pavement. I pull the groomer for the snowmachine club and at times the loading ramp to the trailer will ice up or the snow is slick. One wheel in the rear and one in the front will spin while the other two have traction and would not get me out. Got sick of getting the winch out everytime I had the groomer strapped down. Took out the 80 LSD and put in an ARB. I then put in a eaton e-locker for the dana 60. I put in the eaton because when the electric locker is disengaged, it acts like an open diff. Good for snow. The detroit e-locker acts like a limited slip disengaged and I didnt want that. I wanted that for the dana 80 to have limited slip and the option of full lock. No one except arb made a selectable locker for the 80. I didnt want a detroit in the rear because they are hell, especially with a 3000lb pin weight from a fiver. Road manners are horrible. On the new 07, the LSD works much better. I havent been stuck yet, knock on wood. I know about the ARBs, I will a kilby air set up on my truck for christmas from my wife. So I will have air. Had the same Kilby system on my last truck. Just want to know firsthand if anyone had one on the aam axles and if they worked good, or if any probs installing. It is new so just trying to find out more info.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM

I don't think detroit makes a locker for these AAM axles yet. And I agree that these trucks are WAY to heavy to do any serious offroading plus the steering balljoints and steering box are VERY undersized for the CTD application and IMO don't even belong on any fullsize 4x4.

I guess I did not consider mud when I made my last suggestion. I believe that if you wanted to do mud/sand a front locker would make sence, still not all that logical on a 7000+lbs truck.

PS. The stock "limited slip" in these trucks is just that...limited!!!! after a few mild trails in the 06 I have been stuck twice (wish I had picks) both times the front had adaquit traction (both tires would spin and had plenty of weight on them) the rear however lifts and spins tires on just about every obstical which is why I would go with a rear locker (actually I'll keep mine stock and drive the toyota's offroad).